Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Floating at higher speeds?

shiftdown

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'22 CT4 BW, '98 Lancer Evo5
Even with the suspension set on full race, at higher speeds I feel like it's either getting lift, or there just isn't enough stiffness in the springs. I could really go for about 2kg more per corner at least. I'd have thought the adjustable dampening would be sufficient, but find it's still lacking.

picture unrelated
292969040_612838496710521_8512294295984372605_n.jpg

You think maybe it's just the tires? on the road going to Sewell Houston I had considerable "play" in the tires on a certain stretch. Literally felt like skating the way the tires moved across the pavement. Didn't experience that in the M2 Comp or the RC F. M2C and 4BW run manufacturer blend of PS4s and the RC F runs Pilot Super Sports

You think maybe it's just the tires? on the road going to Sewell Houston I had considerable "play" in the tires on a certain stretch. Literally felt like skating the way the tires moved across the pavement. Didn't experience that in the M2 Comp or the RC F. M2C and 4BW run manufacturer blend of PS4s and the RC F runs Pilot Super Sports
That's a feeling I experienced a well, but not quite to that degree. I may put some Conti extreme contact sports on there in the future.

Even with the suspension set on full race, at higher speeds I feel like it's either getting lift, or there just isn't enough stiffness in the springs. I could really go for about 2kg more per corner at least. I'd have thought the adjustable dampening would be sufficient, but find it's still lacking.

picture unrelated
View attachment 10404
Your pic doesn't look like you have the optional carbon fiber kits. I've been at very high speeds in Mexico and the car was super stable.

That's a feeling I experienced a well, but not quite to that degree. I may put some Conti extreme contact sports on there in the future.
I'm not sure I'd do a side-grade. Are the conti's the same class as the PS4?

I've never had a stability issue with the 5 BW BUT I have CF1 which is functional, and I haven't been much above 140 on the track yet. I will say the custom PS4S tires are in a class of their own for stickiness (closer to a Cup tire than a traditional Pilot Sport in the corners.) I'd hesitate before putting anything other than a dedicated R-compound on over the OEM tires (which are custom made mostly of the same polymer as the Cup 2.)

Your pic doesn't look like you have the optional carbon fiber kits. I've been at very high speeds in Mexico and the car was super stable.
I didn't happen to see you south of the border vs a corvette online the other day, did I?

Anyone noticed an occasional vague feeling from the electronic steering system? Most notable at highway speeds where it feels like your steering wheel input isn’t felt by the car until all the sudden the car wakes up and gives you almost more electronic assist and output than you were looking for. At times I have felt like this, in addition to pavement irregularities, makes my car feel loose or floaty that I’m sure would be amplified by higher speeds.

Anyone noticed an occasional vague feeling from the electronic steering system? Most notable at highway speeds where it feels like your steering wheel input isn’t felt by the car until all the sudden the car wakes up and gives you almost more electronic assist and output than you were looking for. At times I have felt like this, in addition to pavement irregularities, makes my car feel loose or floaty that I’m sure would be amplified by higher speeds.
Are you sure thats not the lane detection trying to assist you?

I've never had a stability issue with the 5 BW BUT I have CF1 which is functional, and I haven't been much above 140 on the track yet. I will say the custom PS4S tires are in a class of their own for stickiness (closer to a Cup tire than a traditional Pilot Sport in the corners.) I'd hesitate before putting anything other than a dedicated R-compound on over the OEM tires (which are custom made mostly of the same polymer as the Cup 2.)
Absolutely this - of the list of issues this is or could be, the tires ain't the problem.

I know what you're talking about. It's where you'll have the wheel slightly turned at highway to expressway speeds and all of a sudden it loads up with more resistance than it should. Or you it'll have very little resistance at all just coming back or just leaving center when it had some kind of feeling of resistance before. So it'll feel loose but this only happens very close to center and for a short distance of the turning radius of the steering wheel.

Mine has done it since I've had the car. I remember this distinctly because I swapped to winters at 1k miles and shortly after I noticed this. I just thought it was the winters because I ran real winters and not performance winters. But it persisted after I swapped the summers back on. The issue where it has more resistance than it should does feel a bit like lane keep assist but mine is turned off and I'm not anywhere near the line when it's happening. I have noticed that it tends to happen more often in banked corners at expressway speeds.

The strange thing is is that I have 2 track days on the car now and it's completely fine on the track. Zero issues.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back