Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

First track day

jkg

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2013 V wagon stealth blue (sold, so sad); 2022 CT5 Blackwing
I too my Blacwing out to the track for the first time - initial thoughts:

i set it to V mode with performance traction control to Race 1 - i do have some track experience and wanted to see if i could push the rear end around with the throttle. you can, although the computer still interferes to straighten you out.

steering, suspension and handling were great. tires were great for street tires

Brakes are good and did not fade during my short runs, and they are a good street and track pad, but not the same as a more dedicated track pad, so the braking was not as good as my c6 corvette with track pads. i guess that is logical, although the blackwing hype made me expect otherwise. i really stood on the pedal at the end of the straightaway and could not get the kind of deceleration i wanted. tires did not lock up, ABS did not activate. surprising

It's hard to hide over 4000lbs of mass, so the car does feel a little heavy compared to a lighter track car (c6 corvette)

rev matching is really cool on downshifts

The engine was pulling power, or misfiring, or doing something weird on full acceleration during one run. It was really frustrating. engine temp, oil temp were fine. tire pressure and temp were fine. not sure why it was doing this.

As a dual purpose street and track car, it is great. i think it is the best street car. if I was a frequent track driver, this is not the car i would use, but that is just me. a lttle too heavy and a little too expensive and nice for a track toy

Thanks for the report, a couple questions. Do you have CCB or iron brakes? Did you burnish them? Race 1 doesn’t have any stability control so the computers weren’t straightening the car out.

I agree that it’s a lot of mass, the place I could feel it the most is braking and turning in at the top of hog pen at VIR since it’s also downhill.

Iron brakes. I did bed them on street

100% the car straightened me out when I tried to break the rear loose coming through a turn. In my track car, I do that often. My track car is a 65 mustang with no computer.

In the ct5bw, the power shut down and the car straightened out. I don’t think I was going to lose control when it intervened.

Regarding the instance where you felt a loss of power - do you have PDR and if so did you record the session? If so, throw it into the Cosworth Toolbox and there's a lot more data there that may tell you what was really happening.

No pdr. I wish I could see what was happening. Next session the problem was gone but I wasn’t driving as hard and it is fine the whole drive back home. But for one session it kept pulling power over and over again. Weird.

Race 1 will cut timing and pull power to prevent wheel spin but it doesn’t actually try to control yaw. That might be what you felt.

Too bad there’s no PDR. It has a channel that’ll tell you if stability control kicks in and also logs the mode the car was in.

On the C7s it was really common for folks to select a PTM mode and then hit the button again which kicks it out of PTM.

I have to admit that pushing the v button does not always get an obvious response from the car computer display. Sometimes hard to tell if it is in v mode if the display is still cycling through start up. Maybe that one run I wasn’t in the correct mode? Maybe I was in snow mode. Who knows.

I have to admit that pushing the v button does not always get an obvious response from the car computer display. Sometimes hard to tell if it is in v mode if the display is still cycling through start up. Maybe that one run I wasn’t in the correct mode? Maybe I was in snow mode. Who knows.
I’m sure you know this, but just in case: did you press the V button twice? Pressing only one time will not engage PTM.

did not know that. i bet that has something to do with it

I’m sure you know this, but just in case: did you press the V button twice? Pressing only one time will not engage PTM.
Isn’t that what the PTM toggle switch is for?

Yes, but you can also set the V button up to a PTM setting with two pushes of the V button.. Does that make sense? I learned the trick at Spring Mountain and then looked it up in the owners manual..
I tried that a few times and all it did was turn V mode back off lol. What am I doing wrong here lol?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back