Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V It only took 44 years

CT5-V Model

BimmerFan

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V BW 6spd
Apologies in advance for the long story and the eventual cross-post to another forum.

In 1980 I was visiting some friends at their apartment complex, and I saw a really pretty burgundy Corvette in the parking lot. The license plate surround said "My Other Car is a Cadillac". How stupid, I thought. Then, parked nearby, I saw a beautiful burgundy Cadillac, and the license plate surround said "My Other Car is a Corvette". Well, LOL as we say now.

Now of course, this was back in the day when Corvettes were kind of underpowered, all looks and no go. The Caddy, on the other hand, was still a premium luxury brand and although with similarly restrained performance, no one really expected it out of a Cadillac.

Last year I bought the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, which as we all know, is an absolute performance monster. Last month I bought a slightly used C6 Corvette. Unintended, as it was more a matter of condition and miles than color, it is black like my CT5V. I still haven't and probably never will get license plate surrounds like I described above, but I thought at least a picture would be worthwhile.

smaller DSC_6386.jpg

Both cars are correctly equipped with a manual transmission, and it's quite interesting how much different they are to drive. Aside from the old technology, the Corvette is lighter, with a much lighter clutch and sits very low, and has a lot of road noise albeit with a quiet (stock) exhaust and has a lazy throttle. The Cadillac is of course heavier, and has a very heavy clutch and sits just about perfect for a senior citizen to get in and out of. The exhaust is raucous and the throttle response is nearly instantaneous.

The Corvette (this is a base model) has a surprisingly supple suspension for a sports car, but still can't hold a candle to the Cadillac's Magnaride (which was an option on the Corvette). The hydraulic steering on the Chevrolet is much better than the Blackwing's electrically assisted rack, but the drive-by-wire brakes on the Caddy are mind blowing compared to the Corvette. Both have quite notchy transmissions, the shifter on the Cadillac is a bit more precise with a slightly shorter throw; they are both quite difficult when cold but work great once they warm up. The naturally aspirated LS3 in the Corvette was rated at 430 horsepower and the supercharged LT4 in the Cadillac is rated at 668, so there is no fair comparison there.

I really am a lucky boy.

cropped DSC_6390.jpg

Wow you're going all-in on old guy stuff here...are you wearing white new balance sneakers and a Goodguy's car show shirt right now?? :p

No, that is a good story and good for you for filling that car niche. I'm at my limit (self and wife imposed) on vehicles and bikes, so I can't even day dream about anything else, so will live vicariously through others.

I owned three C6 Corvettes, all within one year. Yes, I said three. My first was a 2011 Grand Sport mated with an automatic. Loved the car, but I decided that I wanted one properly equipped with a manual. I ordered and traded it for an early 2013 Grand Sport, 6 speed manual. Got the car and three weeks later a friend backed into it, causing only $600 worth of cosmetic damage to the front bumper. The shop did an impeccable repair, but I just couldn't get over it, so I ordered and traded it for another 2013 Grand Sport. Owned it for three years before I moved on. Loved that car. After only owning my 5BW and driving it for only 329 miles, I can already say, I'll take the Caddy any day over the Corvette, albeit I did thoroughly enjoy the Vets. I'm an old fellow with bad knees and back, but I never had any trouble getting myself in or out of the Corvettes. The long door and wide sill plate made it easy to lower myself in or lift myself out of the car. I just sold my 2019 GT350, purchased new, for more money than what it stickered for. I refused to part with it until the 5BW was sitting in my garage. There would have been no way to replace that car had I not obtained the Blackwing. I've said it in other posts and forums, as long as they continue to make 6 speed manual V-8's and my left leg still works, I'm rowing my own gears.

Attached is a sampling of some of my past performance vehicles.

IMG_4308 V1.jpg 0604121855.jpg IMG_4973.JPG 1023151821.jpg 904E1451-.jpg

Sorry for the thread highjack.

I had a C7 Corvette. Traded it in on a 2016 Chevy SS which was destroyed by an inept driver driving his sister's junker of a Honda. Lost control, gave me a head on. Cop was present, said 100% the other driver's fault and unavoidable.

Bouight a 2022 Kia Stinger GT1 twin turbo, superb low end, full torque 1300-4500 rpm. Both the Stinger and of course, the 4BM really embarass the C7 but also the SS. Don

Congrats! I just bought C8 Z06 last week to go with my 4V BW. Haven’t had a lot of time to get into it, but it is definitely a beast and obviously a fun pairing of cars. Agreed OP, I feel very lucky/fortunate in many ways, specifically family wise, but material wise it is definitely a lot of fun to to be able have both of these next to each other in the garage!

Attachments

• IMG_2924.jpeg
    IMG_2924.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2925.jpeg
    IMG_2925.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
I was also a member of the GM club, I had a '19 C7 Z06 and my '23 5V Blackwing for just under a year. An opportunity for a C8 Z06 came up and I had to sell both to swing it but I did enjoy the two of them sitting in the driveway. I now have a '22 Camaro SS 1LE to keep the C8 Z06 company.

Unfortunately the Camaro isn't Red because I couldn't find one but nothing a wrap can't fix.

1000000695.jpg

1000000149.jpg

1000000730.jpg

1000000809.jpg

Add me to the Corvette + Cadillac membership group.

View attachment 24130
I'm more jealous that you have a 2 car garage ! LOL ! I have 5 cars and no garage at all. I'm retired and slowly looking for a southern summer house, (maybe Tennessee somewhere) and I want at least a 3 car garage.

Congrats! I just bought C8 Z06 last week to go with my 4V BW. Haven’t had a lot of time to get into it, but it is definitely a beast and obviously a fun pairing of cars. Agreed OP, I feel very lucky/fortunate in many ways, specifically family wise, but material wise it is definitely a lot of fun to to be able have both of these next to each other in the garage!
Awesome pairing, I often say enjoy but that's a given in your case, Don

I owned three C6 Corvettes, all within one year. Yes, I said three. My first was a 2011 Grand Sport mated with an automatic. Loved the car, but I decided that I wanted one properly equipped with a manual. I ordered and traded it for an early 2013 Grand Sport, 6 speed manual. Got the car and three weeks later a friend backed into it, causing only $600 worth of cosmetic damage to the front bumper. The shop did an impeccable repair, but I just couldn't get over it, so I ordered and traded it for another 2013 Grand Sport. Owned it for three years before I moved on. Loved that car. After only owning my 5BW and driving it for only 329 miles, I can already say, I'll take the Caddy any day over the Corvette, albeit I did thoroughly enjoy the Vets. I'm an old fellow with bad knees and back, but I never had any trouble getting myself in or out of the Corvettes. The long door and wide sill plate made it easy to lower myself in or lift myself out of the car. I just sold my 2019 GT350, purchased new, for more money than what it stickered for. I refused to part with it until the 5BW was sitting in my garage. There would have been no way to replace that car had I not obtained the Blackwing. I've said it in other posts and forums, as long as they continue to make 6 speed manual V-8's and my left leg still works, I'm rowing my own gears.

Attached is a sampling of some of my past performance vehicles.

View attachment 24132 View attachment 24133 View attachment 24134 View attachment 24135 View attachment 24137

Sorry for the thread highjack.
No problem on the threadjack! You had the one Mustang, I actually like and would own!

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners