Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Determining Collector Series Blackwings

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!
There appears to be some confusion on which V-Series Blackwings are considered to be the initial 250 CT5-V and 250 CT4-V Collector Series Blackwings. I had a feeling this was going to become an issue when I was updating the Registry here last week.

Initially, the first 250 of each sold out within the first 24 hours after Cadillac flipped the switch and began accepting the reservations earlier last year.

When I started building the Registry I noticed that most of the early production Blackwings had RPO Code R6Q - PRE SALE ORDER. It was my assumption that all Blackwings with this RPO code would be the first 500 Collector Series.

As I continued adding to the Registry as production continued, I noticed RPO R6Q started to disappear from the cars' build codes, and RPO R6G - WAIT LIST ORDER began to appear.

Again, my assumption (obviously poor...) was that Cadillac was now done building the Collector Series cars and moving on to the Wait List orders which, to my understanding, "opened up" after the initial 500 pre-order bank filled up.

Much to my amazement last week, I found a couple "wait list" orders that were actually Collector Series cars without the R6Q RPO code - I saw the VIN plates and the Collector Series Plates. I then assumed that the RPO R6Q and RPO R6G cars were the initial 500 Collector Series cars.

NOT TRUE! If you look at the Registry numbers and add up the Pre-Sale cars and Wait List cars - they don't add up.

If you look at the vehicle's RPO codes, window sticker or invoice - there's no way to tell whether or not it's a Collector Series car.

I'm now stuck with the only way to verify it's a Collector Series car is to actually see the Collector Series plates on the driver's side door sill.

Last edited:
Am I the only one to read this and scratch my head as I don't understand how a wait list car can be a Collector Series?

Am I the only one to read this and scratch my head as I don't understand how a wait list car can be a Collector Series?
Welcome to my world...

x2 Strange

So what you're saying is that if an ingenious entrepreneur can fabricate a couple of sill plates there's no way to verify if it's a real CS car or not?

Be right back ...

So what you're saying is that if an ingenious entrepreneur can fabricate these there's no way to verify if it's a real CS car or not?

92351286-baa0-4626-960e-9f0901a5dab1-jpeg.4500

Be right back ...
As it stands right now, correct.Tomorrow, i'm going to run through the RPO codes of a Collector Series car vs a non-Collector Series car and see if I can pick out a unique RPO code that I may have missed. Other than the pre-sale RPO code, I don't think I missed anything, but I could be wrong.

Maybe the wait list cars track who got a Collector series due to someone dropping out/cancelling their order?

My non-Collector car was ordered at the end of February, for whatever that may rule out as far as a wait list RPO.

Two years from now if you mention you own a collector series car no one will care, especially someone considering buying a used car.
The way I read the wait list blurb; you were waiting for one of the first 250 buyers to drop out. I assumed (wrongly, it seems) that the initial 250 'collector series' would have been some set of options unavailable to the rest of us mouth breathers- something akin to Ford's 'First Edition' lipstick package. On the Bronco for instance, the FE package locks you into blue seats and an automagical tranny. If I'd known the BWCS was just a sill plate and a framed picture, I'd have clicked that button when I had the chance.

Oh well.

Are all the cars getting the VIN on the steering wheel? I thought that was a collector edition feature but we're seeing cars that have that but not the sill plate.

The way I read the wait list blurb; you were waiting for one of the first 250 buyers to drop out. I assumed (wrongly, it seems) that the initial 250 'collector series' would have been some set of options unavailable to the rest of us mouth breathers- something akin to Ford's 'First Edition' lipstick package. On the Bronco for instance, the FE package locks you into blue seats and an automagical tranny. If I'd known the BWCS was just a sill plate and a framed picture, I'd have clicked that button when I had the chance.

Oh well.
Not sure about me waiting for someone to drop out??? What good would that do?
I placed a deposit on a 5 in Sept and still waiting for an allocation.

Are all the cars getting the VIN on the steering wheel? I thought that was a collector edition feature but we're seeing cars that have that but not the sill plate.
Talking to Mirza, that was a poorly worded sentence when they wrote it and it was meant to say that all of the cars would be getting the steering wheel vin. The collector series are special because of the b-pillar collector plate and the door sill signature

Talking to Mirza, that was a poorly worded sentence when they wrote it and it was meant to say that all of the cars would be getting the steering wheel vin. The collector series are special because of the b-pillar collector plate and the door sill signature

Plus the plaque

That's my understanding, and experience with my non-collector edition. Regular lighted V door sill, no riveted plate on the B-pillar, but do have the numbered wheel.

Not sure about me waiting for someone to drop out??? What good would that do?
I placed a deposit on a 5 in Sept and still waiting for an allocation.
I had the button available to get one of the original 250, then watched it change to the waitlist link. I could have grabbed one if I'd better understood what I was signing up for. I didn't want some special edition car- I just wanted a car.

Like I said, when Ford went live with their First Edition Broncos, it turned out they were auto only, and had blue seats. Neither is something I wanted. (Although, I bailed on Bronco completely when choosing a manual limited your option choices)

I'm not the first to say it, but something that is designed to be collectible never ends up being so. Look at 96 Corvette collectors editions, first 888 Pontiac G8s, etc. The fact that these cars have nothing to really set them apart is the problem. Also, the fact that the "first 250" aren't even the first 250 cars. There are regular non-collector series cars interspersed in there, too.

Reactions: Rob

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners