Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Clutch sticking to floor on track

CT5-V Model

poor-sha

Seasoned Member
I've back at VIR with the Blackwing and I'm finding that after a few laps the clutch pedal isn't returning all the way up and I have to pop it back up with my foot. This isn't the first time I've had this problem but I've flushed the brake fluid twice with Castrol SRF and I've also tried the old "ranger method" to flush the clutch fluid with SRF (even though it's a shared system). Luckily I've caught it before the alarm about the clutch has gone off but I'm concerned about burning up the clutch due to slippage while the pedal isn't fully returned.

Has anyone else experienced this?

In my experience (not in a caddy) is that issues like that are related to clutch slave cylinder, not fluid. I've never run into clutch fluid issues due to track driving (though I know that they do happen).

1up for us A10 drivers.

Seriously though, who out there makes a clutch for this car already? Whether that ultimately is your issue or not, eventually I'd imagine it will be.

I wonder if the service guys at Spring Mountain could give you any info about this? Maybe they have seen this issue...

Not to make a big deal out of this but I made to the end of lap 4 the last session and noticed as I crossed start/finish that I had to pop the clutch up. Luckily I can sort of feel that it's soft on the return and think to check with my foot but it's one thing I'd rather not worry about when pedaling the car on track.

Any way you can gauge fluid temps? Seeing anything that makes you think the brakes are working harder than normal? (I carry an infrared temp gun for track sessions to check if I have a dragging pad but haven't tried it on a fluid reservoir yet...)

@poor-sha - what did you mean whenyou said it was a shared system?

More importantly, which configuration did you run? Lap times?

I'm headed to VIR in a couple of weeks to run an endurance race (bmw).

@Mirza Grebovic had said it was a shared system in another thread.

2:07 was my best today but lots of traffic and I am way off my game. I’m also trying to be extra careful given that I doubt I could get a replacement splitter if I have an off.

My best here is a 2:05.17 but the car can do better. It feels really well balanced now that I have the alignment fixed.

@poor-sha - what did you mean whenyou said it was a shared system?

More importantly, which configuration did you run? Lap times?

I'm headed to VIR in a couple of weeks to run an endurance race (bmw).
That the clutch and the brakes share the same fluid.

Here is a good example in data. I have two laps in a row where this happens on the front straight. I upshift from 3-4 but the clutch (yellow line) hangs at 28% engaged even though my foot is off of the pedal.

clutch.jpg

@Mirza Grebovic had said it was a shared system in another thread.

2:07 was my best today but lots of traffic and I am way off my game. I’m also trying to be extra careful given that I doubt I could get a replacement splitter if I have an off.

My best here is a 2:05.17 but the car can do better. It feels really well balanced now that I have the alignment fixed.

Easily under 2 min once you're comfortable with it.

One suggestion - you are not linearly applying the throttle - T10 is the most obvious example. You should not have to back out of the throttle after application as you increase throttle. Go 10% to 20 to 30, etc. But don't go 20%, to 5% to 20%+. If you have to, delay throttle input until you can apply throttle and not back out. I do the same exact thing all the time and have been told to stop more times than I can count.

I think that car could go much faster up the esses. Why are you lifting at turn in at the esses? Can you not carry WOT at least through the left?

I need to watch the video of the factory hot shoes during the press intro.

Here is a good example in data. I have two laps in a row where this happens on the front straight. I upshift from 3-4 but the clutch (yellow line) hangs at 28% engaged even though my foot is off of the pedal.

View attachment 9933
Why are there little blips of clutch engagement? Looks like it's happening when you lift?

Why are there little blips of clutch engagement? Looks like it's happening when you lift?
Those are all shifts. The clutch position data is only logged at 1 Hz so if you shift quick you might not even see it in the data or you only see part of it.

Same chart but orange is gear, spikes between gears you see is neutral.
1656595042645.png

Those are all shifts. The clutch position data is only logged at 1 Hz so if you shift quick you might not even see it in the data or you only see part of it.

Same chart but orange is gear, spikes between gears you see is neutral.
View attachment 9945
Got it. That's really cool, what are you using to get this data?

😮 Eff me, I never knew the PDR recorded all that. Glad my car is coming with PDR!
Yup - it's pretty awesome. They also have an Android and iOS app called "AliveDrive Race". Not to pimp out my YT channel (where I have made $0) but I've made a bunch of "how to" videos on using the PDR for data analysis.

It's nice to see someone use the cosworth toolbox. I read about it on the Camaro forum but no one actually had it

Yup - it's pretty awesome. They also have an Android and iOS app called "AliveDrive Race". Not to pimp out my YT channel (where I have made $0) but I've made a bunch of "how to" videos on using the PDR for data analysis.

I'm already subscribed. (y) However I have held off on watching your videos until I get my car...both because I don't want to torture myself any more than necessary, and because I will probably forget all the info by the time my car gets here.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back