Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Cadillac Smart Driver and Privacy Concerns

I know this won’t be a popular response with this crowd, but here are my thoughts no one asked for. I’ve given up on trying to keep everything private, with carrying a cell phone everywhere like most people do, privacy is a thing of a past. Even if you disable everything from OnStar they still have the data from the phone and the cars black box recording. Meaning if someone really wants the info, they are going to get it. No I don’t go advertising my SS number and I shred things with my address, but there is only so much you can do in todays so called modern world. Not too mention you are on more cameras everyday than you probably know with the explosion of the popularity of Ring like devices etc.

Every car manufacturer does it, I’ve had both my BMW and Porsche technicians tell me that when they hook up the car to a computer, the first thing it does is sends a ton of info back to the mother ship in Germany and they don’t see nor have any idea what it is. My Fords and current Nissan all do the same thing. Point being it is futile to resist. 😉

All that being said, I’ve had a ton of fun (probably way too much fun) in all of these brands of cars and I’m not going to stop in a GM made one. To date, my insurance rates havent gone up, no cop or government officials have showed up at my door. Sadly no black helicopters circling either as that would be kind of cool. Until that happens, I guess I’ll go on having fun with the cars I bought.

Am I sheep, am I ignorant etc etc, maybe, with so much to worry about in life this is way low on my list. So it is what it is.
I pretty much agree with you, my problem isn't so much GM (or anyone else) knowing where I am/what I am doing, my problem is GM profiting by selling that info to an insurance company who will then profit off of it by increasing my rates. That should be illegal unless I specifically opt in.

I pretty much agree with you, my problem isn't so much GM (or anyone else) knowing where I am/what I am doing, my problem is GM profiting by selling that info to an insurance company who will then profit off of it by increasing my rates. That should be illegal unless I specifically opt in.
Can’t disagree with that. Every chance I get I do opt out of apps tracking me FWIW even though I know it is fairly futile.

Now that I've cleaned up this train-wreck of a thread, let me remind everyone - keep politics OUT of the publicly viewable forums, and keep the threads on topic.

If you want to argue politics or anything else not Cadillac related - you can do it in The Edge:

This and I'm with Minn19...resistance is somewhat futile. It also doesn't help to go off an tangent conspiracy theory's. I understand folk's concerns...particularly on the corporate side. While we all have frustrations with the/various government entities and the inanity of some/many things (we've all been there)...most folks in government are just people trying to do their jobs (some better than others...but really there are lots of good people in government trying to do their best...not everyone, but most). I spent 34 mostly great years in (federal) government service in a variety of capacities). worked hard and effectively and felt that most others did the same. The system is just that and its not perfect.

I also was - what many may consider - doing very "deep state" stuff...and most all of what goes on and the people doing it are totally legit with no hidden agendas or influences beyond trying to do best for our country. And I worked with a wide variety of folks with different political (and other often strange) beliefs and I can say I never saw any effect or difference in their commitment to the mission or our country and I trusted them all to do their best for the good of us all. Never saw any reason to conclude otherwise.

There is certainly plenty to worry about with the state of (all sort of) things...but most of what I hear WRT concerns about nefarious stuff the government may be up to is just complete horseshit. Please, get real.

And really there is no need for animosity here...of any sort, Political disagreements are going to happen...I have some intense political disagreements with some very close friends and relatives and for the greatest part its never really any kind of issue. Most of the time we can discuss things reasonably...if at all. We should try to be a little less sensitive here. And also try not to inject stuff that one knows will likely push other folks buttons...no need for it.

I can't say for certain, but I think if you DON'T use the app and opt out, you're automatically IN. It's part of the OnStar program when you buy the car.
I'd love confirmation on this if someone knows for sure. I don't, and likely never will, use the app, but I'll go through the trouble of setting it up if that's what's necessary to opt out.

Now that I've cleaned up this train-wreck of a thread, let me remind everyone - keep politics OUT of the publicly viewable forums, and keep the threads on topic.

If you want to argue politics or anything else not Cadillac related - you can do it in The Edge:

Thank you 🙏

This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with $$$. Information converted to cash, it’s as simple as that
Everything has everything to do with money (including politics). In any situation that arises that I read about if one wants to know the truth “follow the money.” LexisNexis is just a link in the chain. - keep digging.

I know this won’t be a popular response with this crowd, but here are my thoughts no one asked for. I’ve given up on trying to keep everything private, with carrying a cell phone everywhere like most people do, privacy is a thing of a past. Even if you disable everything from OnStar they still have the data from the phone and the cars black box recording. Meaning if someone really wants the info, they are going to get it. No I don’t go advertising my SS number and I shred things with my address, but there is only so much you can do in todays so called modern world. Not too mention you are on more cameras everyday than you probably know with the explosion of the popularity of Ring like devices etc.

Every car manufacturer does it, I’ve had both my BMW and Porsche technicians tell me that when they hook up the car to a computer, the first thing it does is sends a ton of info back to the mother ship in Germany and they don’t see nor have any idea what it is. My Fords and current Nissan all do the same thing. Point being it is futile to resist. 😉

All that being said, I’ve had a ton of fun (probably way too much fun) in all of these brands of cars and I’m not going to stop in a GM made one. To date, my insurance rates havent gone up, no cop or government officials have showed up at my door. Sadly no black helicopters circling either as that would be kind of cool. Until that happens, I guess I’ll go on having fun with the cars I bought.

Am I sheep, am I ignorant etc etc, maybe, with so much to worry about in life this is way low on my list. So it is what it is.

Why did your post make me think of...
goodfellas.gif

😇

I'd love confirmation on this if someone knows for sure. I don't, and likely never will, use the app, but I'll go through the trouble of setting it up if that's what's necessary to opt out.

Agree... this seems to be the key for a few of us.

Agree... this seems to be the key for a few of us.
You could just install the app, turn it off, and delete the app. It's either that or wait for someone that has never done this to call OnStar and ask them.

You don't need an app, you just need to log onto your cadillac account on a computer. Scroll down to Data and privacy and check if you are enrolled in onstar insurance.
Just logged into the GM web portal and confirmed this.

To save everyone some time, here are the OnStar Insurance Program's Terms:

To summarize, we will sell the everloving shit out of your data at any possible opportunity.

Last edited:
You don't need an app, you just need to log onto your cadillac account on a computer.
It's not just that I don't use the app, but rather that I don't have an account at all.

That's why I'm hesitant to sign up just to opt back out, if not having an account means I was never opted in to start with. But if simply buying the car opted me in, then I'll go through the motions.

It's not just that I don't use the app, but rather that I don't have an account at all.

That's why I'm hesitant to sign up just to opt back out, if not having an account means I was never opted in to start with. But if simply buying the car opted me in, then I'll go through the motions.
Did you buy your car brand new? If so, you most likely already have an account. They (should have) made you activate it while sitting in the car before you drove away.

Did you buy your car brand new? If so, you most likely already have an account. They (should have) made you activate it while sitting in the car before you drove away.
I bought it used and did the transaction remotely. It was a CTF car, so the first "owner" was GM.

I bought it used and did the transaction remotely. It was a CTF car, so the first "owner" was GM.
Hm.. that definitely complicates things. I’d say you’re probably fine, but I can’t be certain.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back