Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2nd gear 6MT

I have the same 2nd gear issues when the car is cold. On the first 1-2 shift out of the driveway the lever never wants to go in, and if it does it is notchy as hell. I double clutch my S2000 going into 2nd and 3rd when it is cold and that helps a LOT...I started doing that with the Blackwing and it helps, but doesn't fix the 2nd gear hesitancy completely. The only solution is to wait for the trans to warm up. I need to do some more experimenting with the trans temp display on to see at what temperature the trans starts shifting normally.

I haven't had any issues with 1-6 yet. I have had issues trying to get the car into R a few times during the summer but it's been awhile for that.

I haven't had any issues with 1-6 yet. I have had issues trying to get the car into R a few times during the summer but it's been awhile for that.
Finding 6th is a bitch sometimes.

Anyone use Redline D4? I use other Redline products in my vehicles and pretty impressed.
I've have used Redline MT-90 in my 98 4Runner and it made a significant improvement to the engagement. I would use it again

Thanks all for feedback, felt better knowing it’s a known problem and ways I can work around it!!

Hit 1500 miles today and gave it the beans, love the crack and pop high in rev range!

I have not had this issue but what I would like to know is when is the transmission properly "broke" in, and when should I change the fluid? My 5BW has about 1300 miles on it...

I wouldn’t worry about the transmission unless you’re having trouble. I’m pretty conservative and plan to change it at around 5K to 10K miles. For you that would be in about 5 to 10 years.

I have not had this issue but what I would like to know is when is the transmission properly "broke" in, and when should I change the fluid? My 5BW has about 1300 miles on it...
I've had a few TR 6060's, depends on use (track), however typically 3-year shelf life, aka 12k per year x 3. Tremec promotes the HP-MTF fluid, BTW

Thanks guys! Lets see, at my rate of driving and winter coming on, I guess I will have it serviced July of next year when it hits 1500.... 😁 🤣

This car is my ninth GM RWD 6-speed manual vehicle (two C5 Z06s, five C6 Z06s, one Camaro ZL1 1LE, and now the 5V BLackwing). Every single one has had the same occasional notchy / high-effort second gear engagement when cold (i.e. first few upshifts after a cold start, worse in cold weather). I also noticed the same thing earlier this week at Spring Mountain. This is a quirk of the transmissions and is a non-issue unless it also exists when the car is fully warmed up.

Also I don't think the M/T needs fluid changes unless you're tracking the car regularly, and even then, I'd defer to @Mirza Grebovic on if/when the M/T fluid needs changing.

My 5 has been nothing but smooth smooth into all gears. And almost all the driving has happened in 40 degree temps. My garage is heated, so I guess the car is never super cold from the getgo.

I did notice the condition on my 4 Blackwing going from 1-2, but only within the first few minutes of driving.

I have the same 2nd gear issues when the car is cold. On the first 1-2 shift out of the driveway the lever never wants to go in, and if it does it is notchy as hell. I double clutch my S2000 going into 2nd and 3rd when it is cold and that helps a LOT...I started doing that with the Blackwing and it helps, but doesn't fix the 2nd gear hesitancy completely. The only solution is to wait for the trans to warm up. I need to do some more experimenting with the trans temp display on to see at what temperature the trans starts shifting normally.
Funny enough, the usual recommendation for the Honda transmission 3rd gear grinding was GM Synchromesh.

OK, now that I count myself among the goat herders, I totally get what y'all are saying about the trans. And 2nd feels particularly notchy even after having driven for a while.

I have only like 40 miles on mine, and half of that was on the freeway. I'll be reading through this thread again and applying some of the Tremec tribal knowledge this weekend.

One thing that I have noticed is that it seems to like being shifted firmly and without hesitation. Not forcefully, nor fast. Just don't tarry; do the thing.

Last edited:
OK, now that I count myself among the goat herders, I totally get what y'all are saying about the trans. ... I'll be reading through this thread again and applying some of the Tremec tribal knowledge

I had a much better experience this morning on my morning donut shop run.

Try using rev match on or try it off and see if it improves.
smoother if I put slight directional tension on the shift lever to the driver's side when shifting 1-2.

Also my 2nd gear synchros are happier cold when shifting 1-2 above 2500 rpm
I also tend to rev it out a little past 3k

These things all helped a LOT. Thanks!

The "slight pull driver's side" tip and my own "shift firmly and without hesitation" observation worked together really well. One time when I struggled with a 1-2 shift I looked down and noticed I was actually fingertip shifting, not unlike the viral Bus Driver Shifting With Care video. It seems this transmission rejects such effete shifting procedures.

I had a much better experience this morning on my morning donut shop run.

These things all helped a LOT. Thanks!

The "slight pull driver's side" tip and my own "shift firmly and without hesitation" observation worked together really well. One time when I struggled with a 1-2 shift I looked down and noticed I was actually fingertip shifting, not unlike the viral Bus Driver Shifting With Care video. It seems this transmission rejects such effete shifting procedures.
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lucious lyon wtf GIF

I have only like 40 miles on mine, and half of that was on the freeway. I'll be reading through this thread again and applying some of the Tremec tribal knowledge this weekend.
That doesn't even count man. You're supposed to move B road adjacent for at least 1500 miles. I know it's been a long wait, but there are systems in place ;)
Kidding not kidding, so cool you've finally got your car!!!

That doesn't even count man. You're supposed to move B road adjacent for at least 1500 miles.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, that freeway driving was stop and go rush hour traffic. So I think it counts towards break-in, LOL.

For people whose goats are still in the pen, I can pretty confidently recommend that you not take your very first drive in your car after sunset during rush hour.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, that freeway driving was stop and go rush hour traffic. So I think it counts towards break-in, LOL.

For people whose goats are still in the pen, I can pretty confidently recommend that you not take your very first drive in your car after sunset during rush hour.
I have a 4.5 hour drive home when mine gets in... Not sure how I'm going to properly follow break-in procedure short of setting a 5 min timer and swapping gears every so often. But I'll be 270-ish on the clock day 1.

As for the tremec-isms, you just have to be assertive. The double clutching on colder days works. I started automatically putting the SS into 1-2 back and forth every morning before taking off. Never had any issues after. It does like higher RPMs when taking off but once it's warm, runs like a dream. Best feeling manual trans I've every used.

Man oh man, if you guys had an A10 you would not have these freaking problems! Oh wait, my 5BW is a manual and I still don't have this problem.... Then again, I only have approximately 1300 miles and I only drive her in good weather.... I did learn something from this thread tho...... Auto's are still faster!
angry season 1 GIF by The White Princess

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners