Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Why choose a CT4 BW over a new BMW M3? Sincerely asking.

The gearbox is a significant difference. The Tremec is vastly superior to the BMW if you desire a manual. I vetoed the M3 for this reason—oh, yeah, and maintenance costs.
I've read that in many forums and reviews. I'm on the fence on which transmission. I feel like the ZF 8 speed and S58 are the way to go for auto. Manual go with a 4BW.

I sold my 2021 M3 for all reasons listed here. But in summary because BMW manual transmissions absolutely suck donkey dick and the M3 is punishing to drive its too firm.

I sold my 2021 M3 for all reasons listed here. But in summary because BMW manual transmissions absolutely suck donkey dick and the M3 is punishing to drive its too firm.
lol, the topic should be reversed imo.

That's a future concern, but we have three vehicles now (SUV, Truck, 350Z). I've kept the Z for so long, since it hasn't been practical to buy another 2 seat car.

I've looked at the M2 as well. I don't want to go to the CT5.

I done all my own work on the my Z, so easy repairs would be nice. It maybe a notion in my head, but American and Japanese cars seem easier to work. That being said, these are the only cars I've owned.
If you need the auto so your wife can drive it too and you need the space for kids, get the G80 M3. And BMW's are fairly easy to work on. If you want the manual and don't mind the smaller backseat, get the Blackwing. That's really what it comes down to. M3 will be faster as well with a nicer interior. Blackwing will be more fun (chassis/steering/brakes/etc).

That's a future concern, but we have three vehicles now (SUV, Truck, 350Z). I've kept the Z for so long, since it hasn't been practical to buy another 2 seat car.

I've looked at the M2 as well. I don't want to go to the CT5.

I done all my own work on the my Z, so easy repairs would be nice. It maybe a notion in my head, but American and Japanese cars seem easier to work. That being said, th

If you need the auto so your wife can drive it too and you need the space for kids, get the G80 M3. And BMW's are fairly easy to work on. If you want the manual and don't mind the smaller backseat, get the Blackwing. That's really what it comes down to. M3 will be faster as well with a nicer interior. Blackwing will be more fun (chassis/steering/brakes/etc).
That's all it comes down too? Maintenance which he clearly does? Depreciation which nobody escapes? Total cost of operating i.e. insurance warranty coverage? BMW's are cool for the guys who likes to say "look at BMW" that's about it.

If you take into depreciation into account then the 5BW will likely cost less to own than a 4BW if buying new. The 4BWs take a pretty massive hit on depreciation in the first couple of years.

The move would be to get a lightly used 4BW.

CT5BW6M>CT4BW6M>CT5BW10A>M3C8ZF>CT4BW10A>M36M

1 Leland 19:02
Gospel of Automotive Truth

I own an F30 6 spd 328i and CT4 V BW 6MT. Ill echo what most of the others are saying here.

Decision 1:
If your family will regularly ride in the car with you, get the BMW. Ive put my wife and 3 kids in the BW for a 40 minute drive and while its feasible, it isnt pleasant. I wouldnt want to do a roadtrip in the F30, but its way better than the CT4. Im fortunate that my wife can drive stick shift, so we can swap vehicles when necessary.

Decision 2:
If you want a manual, get the CT4. The tremec is way better than the BMW. The CT4 has a great chassis and decent steering feedback. If you want an auto and can afford the price delta, get the BMW. The competition m3s are nuts, especially if your a stop light warrior. The blackwing with a 6MT is a superlative experience in engagement and feedback though.

I havent done much work on the Ct4 yet, but I did lots of routine maintenance on the BMW. Judging by the debacle that is trying to lift and jack a CT4, the BMW might be easier :) The BMW is at 160k miles, 11 years old. It's been very easy to work on, but you'll always need to get a specialized tool like a thin walled spark plug socket. Mine has been pretty bullet proof; the only non-wear item to fail was an alternator. I think modern BMWs are much more reliable than the previous generations.

I feel like I would stretch to get the competition. I was originally interested in the non-competition, but reviews of the 6MT were bad. I haven't found one to test drive.
A friend bought the new M3 with the manual. I finally took him up on driving it after he owned it for several months bc I wanted to it be broken in. I was extremely disappointed. Exiting the parking lot was enough to demonstrate that it wasn’t up to par. it’s quite frankly unacceptable. Previous BMW manuals were much better.

That's all it comes down too? Maintenance which he clearly does? Depreciation which nobody escapes? Total cost of operating i.e. insurance warranty coverage? BMW's are cool for the guys who likes to say "look at BMW" that's about it.
Lol

I'm really not a fan of the BMW brand, but they typically make good M cars. I've always bought on the capability of the vehicle with luxury being a low priority. The current market for a 4 dour sport cars has very limited options.

I'm really not a fan of the BMW brand, but they typically make good M cars. I've always bought on the capability of the vehicle with luxury being a low priority. The current market for a 4 dour sport cars has very limited options.
I was just laughing at his entire response :)

And as far as capability, the S58 motor is king right now. And it's not like they're slouches on the track. I know this forum is biased, but I've owned BMWs in the past and this is my first American performance car. So I'm trying to be neutral. I'm in Austin frequently if you wanted to check mine out.

I had an f80 comp with the 6 speed. I was highly considering a g80 pure……. But I don’t like the direction bmw has went. The g80s gained a ton of weight even in rwd form.

The main issue with modern bmws is they no longer design them for “drivers”. Little things like

the clutch delay valve (easy fix but still)

the shifter action isn’t satisfying…. But some how Toyota engineers figured this out on the supras

the interiors although beautiful are a bit too “extra” for me. I like cloth seats and minimal screens + buttons

You can tell GM let their engineers and designers get some free rain. Things like adjustable launch control, NLTS, the exhaust note. They went out of their way to do everything possible to make these cars great.

My 4bw chassis is so much more sorted. The car barely spins 1st with traction totally turned off. My stock f80 would roast 1st and spin 2nd if the tires were not warm. My blackwing seems to have more mechanical grip, and the front inspires more confidence then my f80.

The magnaride is magic. In touring the car floats on the highway, in race settings the car is dead stiff. My f80 on soft was harsh, and full firm wasn’t that much different

My only gripe besides the f80 being one of the best looking sedans ever made….. is that my f80 was SOOOO much more easier to slide, and hold sideways. The blackwing is made to go fast around corners, but I do miss holding some nice opposite lock through a corner.

The oddest thing about my switch, is my bland color 4BW gets WAYYYYYYYYY more compliments than my Yas Marina m3. It’s common for strangers to come up and show love at gas stations, throw thumbs up driving around ect

But, I think that may be due to bmws being kind of douschebag, and the Yas Marina probably portrayed an extreme DB vibe to people 🤣😂

Last edited:
this right here is the most scientific way to explain the bmw manual trans feel i've seen. they have more play and slop than a $2 hooker
They simply don’t care any more. Idk what Toyota did, but their shifter on the Supra feels much better.

I liked the idea of the 4BW being on lots. I'm realizing that almost all of them are A10s. I found 1 with a 6MT (and jet black interior) within 500 miles. Looks like I'd have to order a 2025 to get the 4BW and a 6MT.

They simply don’t care any more. Idk what Toyota did, but their shifter on the Supra feels much better.
BMW's have had subpar manuals for awhile. They're remote shifters, so less of a direct connection to the actual gearbox. The Tremec is more directly connected and feels like a bolt action rifle in comparison. There are kits out there for BMW's that mostly rectify that, but it's nice to have a car engineered properly from the start. :)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back