Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

From G80 M3 to a CT4-V Blackwing

OzDrives

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4 Blackwing
Hi all, I am Oz. I am new to the world of GM. I've been a hardcode BMW M guy most of my life and currently own manual G80 M3. The M3 is an amazing car in many ways but I feel it is lacking the driving engagement and fun factor I would like (even w/mods). My "research"(all of the raving YouTube reviews) has led me to the CT4-V Blackwing and this community. I am pretty close to putting my order in for one at my local dealer.

Also, open to feedback from anyone who has done a similar transition and wants share their experience :)

Looking forward to interacting with you all,
Oz

Reactions: Rob
Welcome. You probably should put your order in asap because of the strike. And because of the strike, there will probably be a backlog. But the car will be worth the wait.

I loved my 2020 M340i and I think the best version of the G80 is the Auto AWD one. My 2023 6MT M3 felt like a less cohesive package vs the M340i and the M4C owned.

The M3 is today more of a marketing tool highly influenced by the accountant department for BMW vs the Blackwings are enthusiast cars engineered by enthusiasts.

Welcome. You probably should put your order in asap because of the strike. And because of the strike, there will probably be a backlog. But the car will be worth the wait.
Thanks for the heads up! I will probably do it this coming week. Now if I could just make up my mind between Black or Argent Silver lol

I loved my 2020 M340i and I think the best version of the G80 is the Auto AWD one. My 2023 6MT M3 felt like a less cohesive package vs the M340i and the M4C owned.

The M3 is today more of a marketing tool highly influenced by the accountant department for BMW vs the Blackwings are enthusiast cars engineered by enthusiasts.
Thanks for your feedback! I agree the manual in the m3 almost feels like an afterthought. It seems that the Blackwing is drivers car first, luxury car second where as the m3 has that order reversed.

Go with Silver. Then you can get a license plate that says "HI YO". The plate on my 22 5BW is 0260N4S (Zero to 60 in 4 seconds).

Somewhere on this forum you'll find a thread that I started, asking former BMW drivers their thoughts on the BW. That helped push me over the edge. I went from a manual G82 to the CT5 (with the correct number of pedals). Not a single regret.

OK, one. The BMW allows you to read and respond to text messages, the Cadillac does not. However, when you consider that the function stopped working on several of my former BMWs for no particular reason, which neither the dealer nor BMW "genius" could figure out, then it's not such a big loss.

If you can find a car already in inventory, as I did, that will certainly speed up the process. I had difficulty getting any dealer to even take my order, much less fill it.

Somewhere on this forum you'll find a thread that I started, asking former BMW drivers their thoughts on the BW. That helped push me over the edge. I went from a manual G82 to the CT5 (with the correct number of pedals). Not a single regret.

OK, one. The BMW allows you to read and respond to text messages, the Cadillac does not. However, when you consider that the function stopped working on several of my former BMWs for no particular reason, which neither the dealer nor BMW "genius" could figure out, then it's not such a big loss.

If you can find a car already in inventory, as I did, that will certainly speed up the process. I had difficulty getting any dealer to even take my order, much less fill it.
Thanks for sharing! Just read the entire thread lol. The consensus seems to be that the BW is simply a way better drivers car or should I say "an actual drivers car".

As far as getting one, I am looking for one without a sunroof and most used ones are spec'd with one so I might just have to order one. Luckily my local dealer has no problem taking my order!

Thanks for sharing! Just read the entire thread lol. The consensus seems to be that the BW is simply a way better drivers car or should I say "an actual drivers car".

As far as getting one, I am looking for one without a sunroof and most used ones are spec'd with one so I might just have to order one. Luckily my local dealer has no problem taking my order!
You're welcome.

I kept expanding (geographically) my search until I found a car that I wanted. In my case, I'm in NC, the car was in MI. That's about a 12 hour drive, not counting pee stops, food stops, gas stops, so I had it shipped.

I was looking for zero options at MSRP, although I could have "settled" for one that came close, I got lucky.

In process of selling my G80 M3 manual. Just placed order for a 5BW, but have been wrestling with do I really need the V8 for $30k more than the 4BW? I could slide into a 4BW and save all that coin. Thoughts?

I've driven both, the 5BW is insane in power, the 4 BW I drove seemed to be noticeably lower in power compared to the G80. I dunno......then I think we all know the 5BWs will be insanely valued once they cease production of them. The 4BW will also be high valued, but I am guessing the 5 will be much higher proportionally.

Thoughts?
No one can decide for you. I know that some reviewers prefer the CT4 for the lighter weight and (I presume) better handling. But there is no replacement for displacement.

If you are shopping for an automatic (which I doubt, since your M3 is properly equipped) then there are discounts on the CT4, which tells you something. This is probably a tough time to find a car, since the strike has been going on for a while and inventory is probably lower than normal.

Don't buy one over the other based on a perceived resale value. Just assume that they will be worth a lot less when that time comes, and buy what you want and can afford. Don't save it for the next guy either - drive it and enjoy it!

FWIW, I've had two G82 both correctly equipped with three pedals, and I have not regretted moving to the BW, not once. It's a great car, much more fun to drive than the BMW. The specs say that the CT4 has the same horsepower as the base M3, but we know that BMW tends to underrate their engines. Still, I suspect that the improvement in steering, shifter/clutch and ride quality will more than make up for it. Full disclosure: I have not driven the CT4, I'm basing my comments based on experience with my CT5.

Thank you for the great response! Yes, looking at 3-pedal versions only. I have struggled with truly enjoying the G80s manual. I find it the most difficult manual to drive. I had a 335 3 pedal prior to and also complained about the manual in it. When I test drove the BWs It felt like I could finally drive a manual correctly. The connected experience is also night and day difference from my short test drives.

Thank you again for the advice.....I presume I will stay with the 5BW....I have consistently regretted not buying the Chevy SS when it was out, I have always wanted the V8.

Thank you again for the advice.....I presume I will stay with the 5BW....I have consistently regretted not buying the Chevy SS when it was out, I have always wanted the V8.
Happy to help, you are welcome.

BTW, I had an SS. The BW is sooooooooooooooooo much better and much more powerful.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back