Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Changing location of ZL1 Addons lift pads to allow for Quickjack usage?

CT5-V Model

thefleshrocket

I finally bit on buying some ZL1 Addons lift pads for my 5BW. When getting ready to install, I realized that there's a plastic piece at the default lift location that will be under the inner edge of the lift pads that I'll need to cut out in order for the pads to sit flush against the metal on the inside of side of the pinch weld. While peering under the car, it occurred to me that the pinch weld on which the lift pads are attached runs the length of the car. And since I'm going to have to cut some plastic under the car in order to mount the lift pads properly, couldn't I just mount the rear lift pad a foot or so closer to the front of the car so that the distance between the front and rear jack points is closer, and so a Quickjack (mine is the 7000TLX if memory serves) can reach the front and rear lift points? Or is the pinch weld less "stable" when you get away from the factory jacking points?

Assuming you have the stealth lift pads, the plastic doesn't need to be cut/removed at the designated lift point areas. It will flex a little upward, but won't be under compression of the weight of the car.

Assuming you have the stealth lift pads, the plastic doesn't need to be cut/removed at the designated lift point areas. It will flex a little upward, but won't be under compression of the weight of the car.

I originally bought the stealth lift pads (by accident) and then ordered the regular lift pads. The only difference between the two, as far as I could tell, as that the regular pads stick down about a centimeter further so you don't have to look as hard to see them under the car. The stealth pads had the same issue with the plastic piece being between the lift pad and the car's body.

Do the lift pads carry the weight of the car on the body next to the pinch weld or on the pinch weld itself? I'm guessing the latter.

Pinch weld carries the weight. I have the stealth pads and no issues with plastic breaking. I don't know about the other lift pads, depends how deep the slot is.

I would NOT deviate from the pinch-weld jack point location. I don't know about these cars, but typically the area is reinforced near pinch-weld lift points. That's why there is a specific location.

I would NOT deviate from the pinch-weld jack point location. I don't know about these cars, but typically the area is reinforced near pinch-weld lift points. That's why there is a specific location.

That's probably good advice, which I didn't get until after I'd installed the lift pads. I put the 5BW up on the Quickjack overnight and it seems to be fine. Pics forthcoming.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back