Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Cadillac Smart Driver and Privacy Concerns

My guess is in various ways we somewhere signed consent for this. Anybody actually read all the fine print in all the different contracts we sign? I’ve probably signed 100 contracts in my lifetime and fall into that category most of the time.

My guess is in various ways we somewhere signed consent for this. Anybody actually read all the fine print in all the different contracts we sign? I’ve probably signed 100 contracts in my lifetime and fall into that category most of the time.
The NYT article points out that language stating what 3rd party providers receive data from GM ONLY mentions SiriusXM and no one else.

Anyone run a report that bought their car used? I submitted a report request and it came back unable to verify identity. The only thing I can think of is either they can’t place me with the original activation or I didn’t verify my email address as my wife just got a few minutes ago when she filled out her form.
I have a request pending, but not sure how long it takes. I bought my car used, have never installed the app, and GM was even the original owner (CTF car). I'm not expecting to find anything without the app to connect the car to my identity, but I guess we'll see.

@jwolf99 I could swear when Throat Yogurt first posted, I checked my app on both of my GM vehicles and both were turned off on the screen shot you posted. I just logged in and appears the app was updated and when I checked again, it showed turned on for both vehicles!! Like everyone else, I never signed up for it and after this latest app update, you better check again and mine was switched to on. 🤬

Sometimes apps won’t give you everything via the cell phone, so going to now log in via laptop and revisit.

I will order my LexisNexis report this weekend and put the freeze on the data as my son was recently involved in an accident and when insurance sent me the police report, it came LexisNexis and showed my name as the driver because of a bad police report and cop defaulted to the vehicle owner, me. Now I have to find the cop and have it corrected so the LN report gets updated. What a crock of shit!

just noticed the smart driver feature was enabled for myself -- and I NEVER opted in.

When this was first posted, I specifically checked that it was not enabled (which it was not). Now all of a sudden, it is. My LexisNexis was squuuueaky clean a couple weeks back when this was first posted so idk what the fuck GM is trying to do to us here.

I am quite livid. One owner is a fluke, a whole bunch of us magically becoming enrolled in this garbage is more than coincidence.

Check your enrollment again guys.

Yup, mine was back on too after specifically checking a while back. However my car hadn't been driven since early Dec. It's back off for now....
Mine was checked less than a month Ang was off. When I checked again this weekend and found it on, it had dat going back at least to last August and likely much further.

What I’m worried about now is all the prior GM vehicles that I’ve sold, but there is no way to remove them from my GM account. Are they all still sending data on how the new owners are driving to my LN record?

I'm not enrolled in smart driver, never have been, also never had on star activated, yet there are still 50 pages from my car on Lexis Nexis. I do not see any options like mentioned here to turn things off since they were never on.
Ok well I thought I was not enrolled in on star as the app told me to enroll and the web site said I was not active in smart driver. I did sign up for the essentials trial months ago and never used any of it or set it up but should have realized there was a catch. Called onstar and deactivated the trial and smart driver as I sure could not find a way to do it in my account. Said it will take 24hrs to not send what LN lists as Telematics. Will order a new report in a few weeks, as I have trust issues, lol.

I just went back in the app under settings and guess what? I wasn’t enrolled for my Blackwing any more, but both my C7 GS (dedicated track car) and C7 ZR1 (totaled) were still enrolled.

Just saw on ctv fakebook page that someone pulled fuse 45 in the trunk labeled onstar. Anyone in here post that?

It appears that high speed events are 80MPH. Oops.

As noted on page 4, the new York times has picked up on this. I have "gifted" you all the article.

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies
I would love to know who from GM thought that 80MPH was the “magic” number considering that on Hwy 130 on the East side of Austin has an 85MPH speed limit that Texas Transportation Commission determined safe & reasonable” after engineering study…
There are other States with 80MPH speed limits as well, and most States claim when overtaking a vehicle to pass, 10 to 15 MPH is usually allowed.

The hard acceleration measurements are interesting, as GM installs a zero to 60MPH timer with best times, etc, publishes 0 to 60MPH acceleration and “top speed on a racetrack of over 200MPH. It’s not like you can turn off the telematics when you are on a legal track or drag way.

I may finally have an excuse to buy a 1970 Chevelle I’ve been eyeing to get back to the basics and getting rid of my IOT car.

I would love to know who from GM thought that 80MPH was the “magic” number considering that on Hwy 130 on the East side of Austin has an 85MPH speed limit that Texas Transportation Commission determined safe & reasonable” after engineering study…
There are other States with 80MPH speed limits as well, and most States claim when overtaking a vehicle to pass, 10 to 15 MPH is usually allowed.

The hard acceleration measurements are interesting, as GM installs a zero to 60MPH timer with best times, etc, publishes 0 to 60MPH acceleration and “top speed on a racetrack of over 200MPH. It’s not like you can turn off the telematics when you are on a legal track or drag way.

I may finally have an excuse to buy a 1970 Chevelle I’ve been eyeing to get back to the basics and getting rid of my IOT car.
Yeah, the whole thing is rather arbitrary and overreaching.

Just played about 20 minutes of phone tag with Onstar but was ultimately successful in cancelling all service and disabling the Onstar module. The little light in the Onstar button no longer illuminates.

I was originally fine with the situation since SmartDriver was verified to be turned off a month ago and my Lexis Nexis is a barren desert of anything interesting.

However, SmartDriver was arbitrarily re-enabled when I check a few days ago so I just pulled the plug instead of having to babysit a data mine.

Funny thing was that the OnStar dude replied to my request to completely disable my account by saying "Lemme guess, you saw an article about insurance and driver data sharing?"

Can they turn it back on? Sure, but its not active nor tied to my account and sharing any data because I no longer have an account.

About the only thing Ill miss is the quick handy owners manual in the MyCadillac app, which no longer works without an Onstar subscription. Oh well

Last edited:
Here's another article:

I pulled my LexisNexis report and, sure enough, there it was. 376 driving records, all provided to LN by GM without my knowledge or consent. I have subsequently turned off SmartDriver and will be checking it periodically.

If someone is planning a class action suit against GM, count me in. Seriously, FU GM.

Here's another article:

I pulled my LexisNexis report and, sure enough, there it was. 376 driving records, all provided to LN by GM without my knowledge or consent. I have subsequently turned off SmartDriver and will be checking it periodically.

If someone is planning a class action suit against GM, count me in. Seriously, FU GM.
💯

Just checked my GM app sure enough our 2024 Sierra smartdriver was active, turned that shit off immediately!

I just opted out of both my lexus and blackwing. grrrr...

Just played about 20 minutes of phone tag with Onstar but was ultimately successful in cancelling all service and disabling the Onstar module. The little light in the Onstar button no longer illuminates.

I was originally fine with the situation since SmartDriver was verified to be turned off a month ago and my Lexis Nexis is a barren desert of anything interesting.

However, SmartDriver was arbitrarily re-enabled when I check a few days ago so I just pulled the plug instead of having to babysit a data mine.

Funny thing was that the OnStar dude replied to my request to completely disable my account by saying "Lemme guess, you saw an article about insurance and driver data sharing?"

Can they turn it back on? Sure, but its not active nor tied to my account and sharing any data because I no longer have an account.

About the only thing Ill miss is the quick handy owners manual in the MyCadillac app, which no longer works without an Onstar subscription. Oh well
Is there a how-to for disabling the module that I missed?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back