Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

288 Miles and an engine failure

I want my name on a plaque on the supercharger now. I deserve a medal for being the 1st broken 2023 Blackwing owner
See if you can snag the old block from them.

Make an engine block coffee table for the man cave.

Results are in. Cylinder 4 rod bearing spun. It was more than likely not torqued properly since there’s 30 thousandths of play in it. The noise is the piston moving up and down and the rod smacking into things. Soooooo it’s gonna need a new motor, and I hope it doesn’t arrive with Crystal’s name on it this time
Dear Crystal,

donald trump GIF
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office
will ferrell anchorman GIF
Vince Mcmahon Wrestling GIF by WWE

I get 'humour' is subjective but it would nice if you lot gave that particular baseless strand a fucking break.

You guys are getting an employee's real name - associated with a negative thing about that real person's job - repeatedly indexed by Google. Making it all the easier for the next knob jockey to pile on.

I get 'humour' is subjective but it would nice if you lot gave that particular baseless strand a fucking break.

You guys are getting an employee's real name - associated with a negative thing about that real person's job - repeatedly indexed by Google. Making it all the easier for the next knob jockey to pile on.
Just using humor to help the OP deal with a tough situation. No one is really blaming the engine builder but when you have a build badge with your name on it then you become an easy target.

Last edited:
Probably some type of internal alloy defect in the rod bolt that allowed the rod bolt to apparently torque but then fail.

Results are in. Cylinder 4 rod bearing spun. It was more than likely not torqued properly since there’s 30 thousandths of play in it. The noise is the piston moving up and down and the rod smacking into things. Soooooo it’s gonna need a new motor, and I hope it doesn’t arrive with Crystal’s name on it this time
Ahhh, so human error is highly plausible...not saying its because Crystal was on a binder that week, buuuut....

Agree, there are not enough facts to come to any real conclusion as to what really happened and why. The builder tag should not be used to assess blame.

Oh geez, don't get your panties in a bunch a group of people just goofing around. No one is coming to any conclusions or assessing blame, just stop already.

Now now all of you. Until I go to the dealership tomorrow and take a look at the motor which has now been removed from my 288 mile car and know for certain if it was human error, or most likely just a bad part, let's not all give Crystal a bad time. Shit happens. Ms Cheeto fingers probably used the wrong color locktite is all. It happens. JK but I'll have more photos for ya'll tomorrow

Years ago when the first C6 Z06 LS7 engines were grenading, everyone wanted to know who built the engine (they also had builder ID tags). As we know now, the heads had the issue, didn't matter who assembled it. We will have to wait and see on this one....

Um, dumb question. What about loss of value? I mean, 288 miles and the engine is done? How will it show on a Carfax? Truth be known, would you buy this car in the secondary market? I'm old with old values and ideas, but I wouldn't buy it second hand. I mean, if your Carfax has any kind of "accident" on it, the value is much lower. Sure, it'll be fixed and will give years of pleasure and reliability. I think GM owes you more than an extended warranty. IDK.

Either way, this sucks and I'm sorry for you. I'd be beyond pissed and furious.

Um, dumb question. What about loss of value? I mean, 288 miles and the engine is done? How will it show on a Carfax? Truth be known, would you buy this car in the secondary market? I'm old with old values and ideas, but I wouldn't buy it second hand. I mean, if your Carfax has any kind of "accident" on it, the value is much lower. Sure, it'll be fixed and will give years of pleasure and reliability. I think GM owes you more than an extended warranty. IDK.

Either way, this sucks and I'm sorry for you. I'd be beyond pissed and furious.

Yeah, this is not a Toyota Camry. This is an expensive enthusiast vehicle and main character is the LT4 so if it had to be torn down or replaced already it would be less desirable to fellow enthusiasts on the used market. That said, if you don't plan to sell it anytime soon and GM makes it right then so be it. If you drive the car for the next 6 years and put 60k miles on it then then the perceived diminished value no longer exists but if you are planning to sell it next year for $90k and it shows an engine replacement on the Carfax then...

@raptor5244 .........yes, agreed. I just know, when I was looking to buy a CTS V, if there was anything "funny" with the carfax, I passed. I.E...salvage, accidents, "damage", track/HPDE, etc. Like my 5BW, it was a car I felt I'd hold onto for a long time and wanted it "clean".

@raptor5244 .........yes, agreed. I just know, when I was looking to buy a CTS V, if there was anything "funny" with the carfax, I passed. I.E...salvage, accidents, "damage", track/HPDE, etc. Like my 5BW, it was a car I felt I'd hold onto for a long time and wanted it "clean".
the motor that is going to be put back into the vehicle is going to be another hand built motor. More often than nought on the carfax it will be posted that the power train was inspected, not “engine replaced”. I understand where you’re coming from and I am also upset about it as well. But at the same time I’m not planning on getting rid of this vehicle. Maybe I’ll have some form of agreement with GM that they’ll get me another allocation and I’ll simply drive this car until the new one arrives. I don’t know. I’ve already spoken with customer support and I’m expecting a call from GM by the end of the week.

Some of you are placing too much faith in Carfax.

I traded this in on my BW....

I hit a deer on 4/20, did 28k worth of damage and Carfax shows a minor accident......

IMO it wont catch the engine being replaced.

FYI, the deer didn't make it......

carfax.jpgIMG_3084.JPG

@MattH ....well, yes and no. As Joe Average Consumer, you have to use the tools you have available to you. There's also Autocheck and some independent companies too. I have also used GM Global Connect when looking at CTS V's. That tells many stories too. But, at any time that I looked at preowned, it was a helpful tool.

Alright so we’ve done the full teardown. Cylinder 3 and 4 rod bearings fused to the crank due to lack of lubrication. Complete manufacturing error and according to the service manager was the result of my engine builder. New motor will be sourced from a different builder. Pictures will follow

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back