Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

288 Miles and an engine failure

So maybe put me down as the next one with engine issues. Car is now at dealer for the third time for a fierce oil leak. First they replaced cam sensor then oil pan bolt. Still leaking remained. Apparently it is producing way too much pressure. Dealer has already gotten GM involved & a conference call between engineers is set up. It sounds likely that they’ll be sending the dealer a new engine & sending GM back this one to tear down & inspect to see what is going on. I’m at 3,500 miles.

So maybe put me down as the next one with engine issues. Car is now at dealer for the third time for a fierce oil leak. First they replaced cam sensor then oil pan bolt. Still leaking remained. Apparently it is producing way too much pressure. Dealer has already gotten GM involved & a conference call between engineers is set up. It sounds likely that they’ll be sending the dealer a new engine & sending GM back this one to tear down & inspect to see what is going on. I’m at 3,500 miles.
Sorry man, that's awful. when did you start noticing problems and any other symptoms?

Sorry man, that's awful. when did you start noticing problems and any other symptoms?
I got black flagged at the track bc there was white smoke coming from the car due to oil hitting and burning on the exhaust. That’s how I first found out. I was like wtf this is a new car how can there be smoke coming from it?!

The oil is EVERYWHERE. Entire underside of the car is covered. Inside of the front wheels. Most of engine compartment. Entire rear bumper & trunk. It is a disaster. The dealer techs then got oil from their hands all over the intake & engine cover.

Attachments

• 0B4C5A54-30B2-4466-92FE-0B18ACE5ECB5.png
    0B4C5A54-30B2-4466-92FE-0B18ACE5ECB5.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 146
  • 0DDC456A-B7E7-40DF-9C27-8074A108241C.png
    0DDC456A-B7E7-40DF-9C27-8074A108241C.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 134
  • AB2204C2-73D9-457C-9146-0118214B013B.png
    AB2204C2-73D9-457C-9146-0118214B013B.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 120
  • 20B679E8-7A4E-42F6-AD39-A02A9CD3D563.png
    20B679E8-7A4E-42F6-AD39-A02A9CD3D563.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 120
  • 94BDE1C0-A6CF-4D5F-A451-45B55FA85915.png
    94BDE1C0-A6CF-4D5F-A451-45B55FA85915.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 146
I got black flagged at the track bc there was white smoke coming from the car due to oil hitting and burning on the exhaust. That’s how I first found out. I was like wtf this is a new car how can there be smoke coming from it?!

The oil is EVERYWHERE. Entire underside of the car is covered. Inside of the front wheels. Most of engine compartment. Entire rear bumper & trunk. It is a disaster. The dealer techs then got oil from their hands all over the intake & engine cover.
Jesus, I'm sorry I asked🤦🏻... Let us know when you get your car back on the road.

JFC! That is brutal!
2 heart transplants in a week isn't good. Sure don't want to have to change the thread title to - how many miles till your failure :-(
Hopefully you got better than an Encore loaner.

JFC! That is brutal!
2 heart transplants in a week isn't good. Sure don't want to have to change the thread title to - how many miles till your failure :-(
Hopefully you got better than an Encore loaner.
First time they didn’t give me one. Second time a XT5. Third time they said they only had an Equinox but if I’d wait for them to wash their Escalade I could have that. Told them I’d wait. The Escalade battery then failed on me and wouldn’t start after sitting 1 day. They’re suppose to be sending someone to my house today to either replace the battery or swap me out with a different loaner.

First time they didn’t give me one. Second time a XT5. Third time they said they only had an Equinox but if I’d wait for them to wash their Escalade I could have that. Told them I’d wait. The Escalade battery then failed on me and wouldn’t start after sitting 1 day. They’re suppose to be sending someone to my house today to either replace the battery or swap me out with a different loaner.
Ah man - laugh to cry. Do they have any used Hondas or Toyotas on the lot they could bring instead.

Is anyone on the ZL1 forums? Wonder if they are seeing issues on new builds.

Not sure what we decided the total production of 5BW's is to date, but 2 is probably 1/10 of 1% of the total (2,000?) for whatever that is worth.

The OP was a '23 MY, so there must be a few hundred of those around pushing total production higher.
Mines a 22. Produced in March. Engine built by Anthony.

There were 1,664 5BWs for '22, per Rob's Final Production Numbers thread.

The OP was a '23 MY, so there must be a few hundred of those around pushing total production higher.

Agreed. I was just giving him the exact baseline on which to make his estimate.

Highest '23 5BW VINs in the tracker are 86-264 and 81-191. So there are at least 455 '23s, making at least 2,119 total.

If Carguyshu's engine has to be replaced that will be 3 known failures out of 2,119. That's 1 of every 706, or 0.14%.

I believe that is well below the average for the industry as a whole - but we there could be failures we don't know about. EDIT: ignore this part. I had bad info. Carry on.

Last edited:

Highest '23 5BW VINs in the tracker are 86-264 and 81-191. So there are at least 455 '23s, making at least 2,119 total.

If Carguyshu's engine has to be replaced that will be 3 known failures out of 2,119. That's 1 of every 706, or 0.14%. I believe that is well below the average for the industry as a whole - but we there could be failures we don't know about.
I'm not an industry insider or a manufacturing guy but 1 out of every 706 sounds like a lot.

If Carguyshu's engine has to be replaced that will be 3 known failures out of 2,119. That's 1 of every 706, or 0.14%. I believe that is well below the average for the industry as a whole - but we there could be failures we don't know about.
There is no way that 0.14% replacement rate on a new engine is normal, or even remotely acceptable. Maybe over the entire warranty period.

There is no way that 0.14% replacement rate on a new engine is normal, or even remotely acceptable. Maybe over the entire warranty period.
I agree with that NOT being the norm, need to see the corvette failure rate? Are we getting the short end here?

Is anyone on the ZL1 forums? Wonder if they are seeing issues on new builds.

Not sure what we decided the total production of 5BW's is to date, but 2 is probably 1/10 of 1% of the total (2,000?) for whatever that is worth.
As a prior ZL1 owner this is the long running Oil Pump Failure thread. You can see from the thread another victim was claimed today. Other than the oil pump issue, which mostly affected the 2017/2018s, the LT4 on the Camaro has been very reliable.

Some wait until they see signs of low pressure on the gauge, which starts dropping to 15-20psi at idle. It is a costly repair if you are out of warranty. Over $3k in labor to swap that pump. Most switch to a Katech pump and plan some other mods to help justify the cost.

I'm not an industry insider or a manufacturing guy but 1 out of every 706 sounds like a lot.

I had checked some numbers for "failures". I went back and dug deeper into the article, and what they defined "failure" was actually "fault of any kind". So ... my bad.

As a prior ZL1 owner this is the long running Oil Pump Failure thread. You can see from the thread another victim was claimed today. Other than the oil pump issue, which mostly affected the 2017/2018s, the LT4 on the Camaro has been very reliable.

Some wait until they see signs of low pressure on the gauge, which starts dropping to 15-20psi at idle. It is a costly repair if you are out of warranty. Over $3k in labor to swap that pump. Most switch to a Katech pump and plan some other mods to help justify the cost.

I had full oil pressure the whole time. Even when the bearings were friction welding to the crank

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back