Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Winter Wheels and Tires

here is what i have - (i will let you know once mounted and driving to make sure there are no surprises but i mounted up one on front and rear in my garage already)
wheels drag wheels DR-80 19x9.5, 5x120 pattern
tires nokian hakkapellitta 275/35-19 - i only could find them from one vendor on amazon although they are probably available lots of places earlier in season. i found simpletire.com nice to work with the year before
sensors - GM 13538760
sensor nuts - GM 13581557
need smaller lug nuts than stock. i used cal custom 754003B

tires made in russia, sensors made in UK, wheels made in china, lug nuts probably china too
couldnt find anything made in USA for wheels, tires, or lug nuts

I would be interested to hear initial driving impressions from both of you - and I'm torn because I want my car ASAP, but also want to put off this decision until there is more info out there!

I haven't driven the car on the PS4s yet, the Pirellis were installed day one. So I can't make direct comparisons.

My SS was on DWS06, and I really liked those tires a lot. The traction was outstanding, and just enough snow capability to get me around.

The Pirellis are not as enjoyable. They feel a bit floaty, and in the wet just don't grip all that well. I'm hoping that as the temperatures continue to drop they'll feel more planted. Typical highs right now are around 40 degrees

(On the PS4S now, can make some comparisons. The Pirellis are quieter. Dry grip is very reasonable. The Michelins feel way more connected. The Pirellis are noticeably more floaty by comparisons. Turn in on the Michelins is WAY more direct. Haven't had the Michelins in the rain yet)

Last edited:
here is what i have - (i will let you know once mounted and driving to make sure there are no surprises but i mounted up one on front and rear in my garage already)
wheels drag wheels DR-80 19x9.5, 5x120 pattern
tires nokian hakkapellitta 275/35-19 - i only could find them from one vendor on amazon although they are probably available lots of places earlier in season. i found simpletire.com nice to work with the year before
sensors - GM 13538760
sensor nuts - GM 13581557
need smaller lug nuts than stock. i used cal custom 754003B

tires made in russia, sensors made in UK, wheels made in china, lug nuts probably china too
couldnt find anything made in USA for wheels, tires, or lug nuts
Thanks. Much appreciated.

@jkg When all is said and done and you have a chance, it would be awesome if you could post the complete list of parts (incl P/Ns) and where your purchased them.

Been sitting on the fence about the extra set of snow tires. I did a round trip from Long Island to Boston yesterday to pick up my son from college, a day ahead of original plans in an effort to avoid the snow that is going to hit New England area today. I know sooner or later, I am going to be in bind where everyone in the house is going to need drive somewhere (4 people, 4 cars) after one of our wonderful winter blizzards which leaves packed snow on the ground for days on end.

Thanks
What part of L.I. ? I assume you took the PJ Ferry? Funny, I was in Boston on Tuesday grabbing my kid from Emerson in the AMG, wish it was the 5BW...Booo Lol

What part of L.I. ? I assume you took the PJ Ferry? Funny, I was in Boston on Tuesday grabbing my kid from Emerson in the AMG, wish it was the 5BW...Booo Lol
@RavenBW22 I'm in St. James (Head of the Harbor). How about you?

Yep, took the PJ ferry which is only 15 min away. Definitely worth the extra $ to avoid having to travel into the Bronx and back around lower CT. After I got off the ferry in Bridgeport, I made it to Boston (son's freshman year @ Berklee School of Music) in about 2 hrs 15 min. No traffic at all. Coming home was another story. Took an extra hour as we sat bumper to bumper the whole way out of Boston and it's suburbs.

The 5BW is actually my wife's daily driver (really just grocery getting / errand runner) which she loves. Of course I drive it any time I can except if I have to go into the city where I use my beater (2009 Malibu) to park at the LIRR train station. But she went out early this morning when it still only 23 degrees outside which is a no-no on the BW tire compound. Needless to say she wasn't all that pleased with having to take the Malibu instead. At least I now have a lower hurdle for the winter wheel/tire purchase. 😂

I am thinking about a 285 on the rear… do you think that is too much of a stretch for the 11 inch wheel?

@RavenBW22 I'm in St. James (Head of the Harbor). How about you?

Yep, took the PJ ferry which is only 15 min away. Definitely worth the extra $ to avoid having to travel into the Bronx and back around lower CT. After I got off the ferry in Bridgeport, I made it to Boston (son's freshman year @ Berklee School of Music) in about 2 hrs 15 min. No traffic at all. Coming home was another story. Took an extra hour as we sat bumper to bumper the whole way out of Boston and it's suburbs.

The 5BW is actually my wife's daily driver (really just grocery getting / errand runner) which she loves. Of course I drive it any time I can except if I have to go into the city where I use my beater (2009 Malibu) to park at the LIRR train station. But she went out early this morning when it still only 23 degrees outside which is a no-no on the BW tire compound. Needless to say she wasn't all that pleased with having to take the Malibu instead. At least I now have a lower hurdle for the winter wheel/tire purchase. 😂
I'm a little east of you in Ridge just before Calverton.

Boston traffic can be like NYC. I was in an out with no traffic since I was at his school at 1:30 on a Tuesday which certainly helped.

Yup, that's a no/no at 23 degrees. My AMG came with summer tires and the disclaimer from Pirelli said not responsible for cracked sidewalls if driven below 40 degrees and tires should be stored above 40, what a PITA.. LOL I'm rocking A/S 4s and have NO issues, cold/snow/wet, great tire but AMG/daily is also all wheel drive and only 400 horses..

Good luck with the winter meats

Still kinda wondering where @jkg is with those pictures of the new wheels on...

;)

Not harassing, just genuinely curious to see a BW with anything other than stock.

i will probably install the snow tires this weekend maybe - its cold here in NY but no snow yet. i'll post pictures then.
i havent seen anywhere from michelin that using the summer tires below freezing could damage the tires. but i do understand that traction falls off when its cold out - especially in a cold rain.

i will probably install the snow tires this weekend maybe - its cold here in NY but no snow yet. i'll post pictures then.
i havent seen anywhere from michelin that using the summer tires below freezing could damage the tires. but i do understand that traction falls off when its cold out - especially in a cold rain.
Below warning is from page 370 of the 5BW owners manual which mainly warns of use and storage below 20 deg F. We have driven it while temps are in the 30s, all local driving and mindful not to put too much stress on the tires. There's definitely reduced traction at those temps. But I've inspected the tires a couple of times now, and see no signs of sidewall cracking. Also, my garage is well insulated and even when outside temp drops below zero, I've never had my garage drop below 39 deg F. And worst case, I have built in heaters that I can flip on and keep the temp as low as 40 or as high as 85.

1640089953951.png

I'm a little east of you in Ridge just before Calverton.

Boston traffic can be like NYC. I was in an out with no traffic since I was at his school at 1:30 on a Tuesday which certainly helped.

Yup, that's a no/no at 23 degrees. My AMG came with summer tires and the disclaimer from Pirelli said not responsible for cracked sidewalls if driven below 40 degrees and tires should be stored above 40, what a PITA.. LOL I'm rocking A/S 4s and have NO issues, cold/snow/wet, great tire but AMG/daily is also all wheel drive and only 400 horses..

Good luck with the winter meats
I'll be out there on Thursday afternoon when my wife and I go to Calverton National Cemetery to place wreaths on my in-laws gravesites. Touring mode only while on the cemetery grounds, of course. :)

I am fully on board with the A/S 3s and 4s. That's all I've used on my cars aftermarket for the past 10 years. They're both champs in any weather. I even have the 3s on my Malibu beater.

they're ok - not my favorite but i do like them better than stock ones - should be easier to clean!

We got some 6" of snow out here in the PNW. Good opportunity to give the sottozeros a try.

And the verdict is... I'm glad the CT5 isn't my only car. I was hopeful dedicated snow tires would give it the upper hand in turning and stopping, but in back to back tests my XT5 (awd) on all seasons was better in every way.

The sottozeros are good enough that I could confidently get home if it snowed while I was out, but it's definitely not the choice vehicle in these conditions

I think the Sotto’s are glorified all seasons. In the past I had no issue in up to 6” snow with my 6gen Camaro SS using Alpins or Bridgestone LM32 ( same category).

So there is no issue with the taller rears? That would mean I could do a square setup with the pilot sport as4 on oem wheels.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back