Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Winter Wheels and Tires

mkrup

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Maybe @Mirza Grebovic can answer this question, but is there going to be a preferred/recommended winter tire for the Blackwings? I've been happy with the Pirelli Sottozero 3's in the past, and I've read good things about the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's, but if there's a specific pairing that's recommended I'm inclined to go with it.

Thank you for bringing this subject up. I can’t seem to find an all season or winter tire in the size for 5BW

Just judging by Tire Rack, I think they've been hit hard by the supply chain shortages. As best I can tell, they don't have any winter tires in stock at all. Things could get dicey if that doesn't clear up in the next few months...

The pirellis are good 255 front 265 rear both /35 for the 4 for example is all We saw on tire rack last year. Any brand is good as long as width not bigger than stock AND OD not larger. I always ran narrower winters on my DDs for better traction but also more room for all that snow build up.

The pirellis are good 255 front 265 rear both /35 for the 4 for example is all We saw on tire rack last year. Any brand is good as long as width not bigger than stock AND OD not larger. I always ran narrower winters on my DDs for better traction but also more room for all that snow build up.
Narrower is definitely better in the snow, but how much room do we have factoring in clearance for the calipers? I've had Blizzaks in the past as well and they've been beasts for eating up snow, but the Pirellis are definitely better for cold dry pavement.

Edit: You may have already answered, 265 rear vs. standard 275

Narrower tire on stock rim doesnt impact caliper clearance so should be good as long as similar rims. However, please make sure you clean out the snow from inside the wheels and dont let it sit overnight and let it freeze. It will freeze around calipers and you will have a giant block of ice rubbing around the inside of an aluminum rim and aluminum calipers. I park all my cars in the attached garage so in winter it all melts out, if not I use my snowblower pick (the piece you use to clean snow blades) to toss out anything remaining.

As I am sure the rest of you have found, the only near-winter fitment for the 5BW is a set of Cooper Zeon All-Seasons, but those aren't highly rated for any sort of snow use. I suppose at least they are usable under 32F, unlike the PS4S.

I have run the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s for the last few winters and they are amazing in anything up to and including a dusting of snow. Haven't tried them when it's deeper.

Tire Rack will have more wheel fitment info once they get a car to scan. Their HQ is in South Bend, IN, and if we have any volunteers, the sales department can set up a time with engineering so that they can digitally scan brakes etc. to figure out fitments. They seemingly don't have any more tire info at this time than we do.

I tried searching Tire Rack for ATS-V packages as well and that comes up empty too, along with some other random searches for winter wheel packages on different cars. I think they're just short on tires.

I prefer my winter set up to be a different wheel than my stockers. Preferably something smaller in diameter AND width. My SS has 18's for the snowy months. This will also be my goal for the BW5. Here's to hoping there is a wheel out there to fit this mold.

I tried searching Tire Rack for ATS-V packages as well and that comes up empty too, along with some other random searches for winter wheel packages on different cars. I think they're just short on tires.
You have to search by tire size and not by vehicle. I had to do two searches one for the front and one for the rear tires for the best results.

Has anyone decided on cold weather tires for their 5BW? Where I live I don't need a snow tire but it does get too cold for summer tires. There is only the Cooper all-season tire in the stock sizes. Going with a smaller width rear does open up more options but then the Front/Rear difference is greater than stock, or the rear tire is taller than stock (and it's not clear how much space there is.

On current V I have 2 OEM wheel sets, 1 with the PS 4S the other with PS A/S3+. I don't really know how that Cooper compares to the Michelin. Michelin did just add the PS A/S 4 in the V2 sizes so maybe they will eventually make a 305/30R19 too.

I have an inquiry out to Apex wheels about a 19x9.5, 19x10.5 set of winter wheels but haven't heard back. I was eyeing either the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s, which I've owned, or the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 plus, which seem well reviewed - both of which come in 265/35 and 285/30 sizes. Per @Mirza Grebovic in post #5 above, the tires cannot be wider or taller (larger OD) than stock.

If I end up with OEM wheels for a second set, I will probably just suck it up with the Coopers and try really hard not to get caught in the snow.

I prefer my winter set up to be a different wheel than my stockers. Preferably something smaller in diameter AND width. My SS has 18's for the snowy months. This will also be my goal for the BW5. Here's to hoping there is a wheel out there to fit this mold.
I think it's going to be hard to find an 18 to fit over the stock front brakes. But I'm all ears if you come up with something!

Found a pair of tires that should work according to Mirza. Now to find some wheels that'll work

1629311567995.png

I think it's going to be hard to find an 18 to fit over the stock front brakes. But I'm all ears if you come up with something!
When I went to purchase the 18's from Discount, the "salesman" was refusing to sell the wheels to me because the computer said they wouldn't fit. I went in knowing full well they did. After talking to the manager, paying full up front, they were ordered. Go figure, they fit perfect. Would places like Discount tire know the spec of the OEM wheel already? If there were a reputable salesman there, would they know what to look for? I'm imagining any possibility of an 18 to fit would need to be test fit first.

Found a pair of tires that should work according to Mirza. Now to find some wheels that'll work

View attachment 4165
I wonder if there are any significant differences between the mercedes spec and the porsche spec sottozeros? Having two sets of tires might bother my ocd 😆

@Mirza Grebovic would running a square setup (255/35s) have any negative effects, other than a decrease in straight line traction? Or better question, would it noticeably make the look worse? I'd be running these on the stock wheels

You cant run a 255 on the rear wheel, it will stretch tire too much and decrease your OD. Just buy as close to stock no need to overthink this, your talking almost no difference in cost.

I strongly believe you’re better off with two sets of wheels. Go square on the winters, but be mindful of offsets.
Way more chance of damaging wheels or having problems when you mount tires twice a year.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back