Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Watch the TPC code for replacement tires

ehandel

Just a PSA for anyone that needs tire replacements: Took my CT4-V Blackwing out on Saturday AM, only to get a completely flat rear tire a few miles into the drive. Had it towed to the Cadillac dealer. They ordered and installed a new tire today which is a Pilot Sport 4S in the right size but it was NOT the right TPC code. The tires on the Blackwings are a unique design and compounds (V-Series Blackwing: Ultimate Track Capability, Zero Compromise) and it took a bit of effort for me to convince the dealer that they didn't put the right tire on. They're trying to sort it out now so hopefully all will end well, but just sharing this in case anyone ends up needing replacement OEM tires...good to pay attention to the spec to make sure you get what you're paying for :)

Went thru this when I bought replacement OEM tires for my 5 BW at Costco a couple months ago. The tires are so new they weren't sure which SKUs were specific to the Cadillac TPC. First order I ended up with 2 correct and 2 wrong (non-TPC.) Had to return all 4 since I was buying a set during their Michelin sale. Took some time to sort out but did eventually get a full OEM TPC set.

Just a PSA for anyone that needs tire replacements: Took my CT4-V Blackwing out on Saturday AM, only to get a completely flat rear tire a few miles into the drive. Had it towed to the Cadillac dealer. They ordered and installed a new tire today which is a Pilot Sport 4S in the right size but it was NOT the right TPC code. The tires on the Blackwings are a unique design and compounds (V-Series Blackwing: Ultimate Track Capability, Zero Compromise) and it took a bit of effort for me to convince the dealer that they didn't put the right tire on. They're trying to sort it out now so hopefully all will end well, but just sharing this in case anyone ends up needing replacement OEM tires...good to pay attention to the spec to make sure you get what you're paying for :)
Also good idea to check your dealers. Of all tire places to choose, you'd think Caddy would know the difference.

I already went through that when I picked up a 5/8" drill bit in my rear tire. I had to keep telling the dealer I only want TPC spec tire, and they were totally confused until I showed them what I meant. Of course, it cost a little more.

I already went through that when I picked up a 5/8" drill bit in my rear tire. I had to keep telling the dealer I only want TPC spec tire, and they were totally confused until I showed them what I meant. Of course, it cost a little more.
How much more do the Blackwing tires cost than the regular 4S tires?

Tire Rack has both TPC and non-TPC spec tires for both the 4BW and 5BW. On the 4BW the cost difference between the two is $8/tire, for the 5BW it is $18-$36.

5BW rears are $413 w/free shipping. ;)

I've been thinking about buying a complete set to have on hand in case the shortages hit the tire market.

I was seriously considering picking up a pair of rears just for when I inevitably destroy mine and no one knows what they are.

If you do pick up a set for whatever reason, be sure to store them properly. Bag them in 55gal bags and then tape the bag shut. Inside a garage is fine, but if your garage is going to be below 30F for a long period, store them in another location.

Also good idea to check your dealers. Of all tire places to choose, you'd think Caddy would know the difference.
FWIW I ran into this on my RS3 at the Audi dealership. Like the Blackwings, it had staggered fronts and rears. One of my rears needed replaced after I hit a pothole. I picked up the car and hopped on the highway only for my traction control to lock up and refuse to let me accelerate.

Turns out they put one sized for the fronts on the rear! The AWD on the RS3 was confused all to hell and caused the traction control system to freak.

If you do pick up a set for whatever reason, be sure to store them properly. Bag them in 55gal bags and then tape the bag shut. Inside a garage is fine, but if your garage is going to be below 30F for a long period, store them in another location.
I have some 55gal Glad contractor bags for my old tires and they won't fit around the rears or even the fronts - don't know if the bags are all the same shape, guess these are pretty tall. Ordered some 65gal ones which were more square and less tall, based on the measurements they seem like they should work.

I have some 55gal Glad contractor bags for my old tires and they won't fit around the rears or even the fronts - don't know if the bags are all the same shape, guess these are pretty tall. Ordered some 65gal ones which were more square and less tall, based on the measurements they seem like they should work.
Huh. I have 8 305/30-19's in bags in the garage right now. I just went out to check. They are 55gal. You may have 42gal bags. Those are also labeled as 'contractor bags'. The 305's will not fit in 42gal.

FWIW I ran into this on my RS3 at the Audi dealership. Like the Blackwings, it had staggered fronts and rears. One of my rears needed replaced after I hit a pothole. I picked up the car and hopped on the highway only for my traction control to lock up and refuse to let me accelerate.

Turns out they put one sized for the fronts on the rear! The AWD on the RS3 was confused all to hell and caused the traction control system to freak.
I have seen more than one RS3 with the front and rear tires swapped incorrectly. I know of no other car with staggered wheels where the FRONTS are the wider tire.

I have seen more than one RS3 with the front and rear tires swapped incorrectly. I know of no other car with staggered wheels where the FRONTS are the wider tire.
GM did it.

The 5.3L V8 FWD LS cars of about 2008. That would be the Impala SS, Grand Prix GXP and Monte Carlo SS.

GM did it.

The 5.3L V8 FWD LS cars of about 2008. That would be the Impala SS, Grand Prix GXP and Monte Carlo SS.
I've tried to forget about the abomination of those monikers from the time.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back