Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Tracking your V-Performance Ride = Big $$$

I’ve tracked a lot more than this my 5 for a fraction of these costs…

Did they give you a print out after they were finished with your alignment? The reason I ask is that the 4BW needs 2 adjustments to reach the full -2.4 to -2.5 chamber in the front. You need to adjust the top strut mount and rotate the steering knuckle. Each one is worth roughly -.5 chamber. That dealer invoice only shows the one adjustment.

Do you guys feel like you’re getting enough enjoyment from tracking the car to justify these costs? I’ve never taken my 4BW to the track, but always thought I would at some point. Wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Season 2 S02 GIF by DREAM CORP LLC

Do you guys feel like you’re getting enough enjoyment from tracking the car to justify these costs? I’ve never taken my 4BW to the track, but always thought I would at some point. Wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze.

The numbers he posted aren't representative of novice to beginner group costs. You could go out this year 2 or 3 times at novice pace and change literally nothing in the car, just go to the track. It'll cost you nothing but the event fee plus gas/snacks/etc. And the wear on your tires/pads/rotors won't even be that noticeable.

The numbers he posted aren't representative of novice to beginner group costs. You could go out this year 2 or 3 times at novice pace and change literally nothing in the car, just go to the track. It'll cost you nothing but the event fee plus gas/snacks/etc. And the wear on your tires/pads/rotors won't even be that noticeable.

I'd argue that they're not even representative of most track enthusiasts expenses. I can count on one hand, the amount of people I've met, that pay other people to do work on their cars for them. And they're tracking cars far, far, far more expensive than the 4BW.

The overwhelming majority of people that track their cars regularly are at least capable of doing basic maintenance and finding deals on consumables to keep costs low. This goes for track prepped car owners and street car owners that track their modern vehicle. On a brand new car with a warranty, the only labor expenses I would expect to pay are the mounting of tires and an alignment. Everything else, I can easily do in my garage for free.

I'm going to be doing a very short track experience in my 6 speed 4BW at lime rock 2 weeks from now involving 45 minutes autocross and 45 minutes on the road course doing lead follow, just to dip my toes into tracking my own car after doing v academy last year. Should I be getting an alignment from the dealership and do any other maintenance prep beyond a new oil change? I have the brake ducts installed already.

^ Likewise here too.
Muholland to Old Topanga to PCH and back to work 3x week!

On another note - someone please clue me in on these "brake ducts" for the 4BW. I did not know...

I'm going to be doing a very short track experience in my 6 speed 4BW at lime rock 2 weeks from now involving 45 minutes autocross and 45 minutes on the road course doing lead follow, just to dip my toes into tracking my own car after doing v academy last year. Should I be getting an alignment from the dealership and do any other maintenance prep beyond a new oil change? I have the brake ducts installed already.

I hope you enjoy your time at lime rock park. Let us know how the 4BW fares throughout the day.

Track Tapas? I did that in the spring. It's a great program!

You definitely don't need to do anything beyond oil.

PM me if you have any questions.

Did they give you a print out after they were finished with your alignment? The reason I ask is that the 4BW needs 2 adjustments to reach the full -2.4 to -2.5 chamber in the front. You need to adjust the top strut mount and rotate the steering knuckle. Each one is worth roughly -.5 chamber. That dealer invoice only shows the one adjustment.
They said that they went the max and additional adjustments would require parts replacement -

1688145707447.png

Season 2 S02 GIF by DREAM CORP LLC

My advice would be to do a BMW Track Day and see if you get bit by the track bug. Did you go to SpringMountain for the Cadillac Driving School? Be careful though, because when the track bug bites it is going to be expensive.
I dropped about $30K in arrive and drive track sessions in 2022, including the notorious Nurburgring.

1688146337752.png

This year I am getting a lot more track time doing HPDE sessions in my CT4V-BW, but at local track not at high profile tracks that the driving school use - COTA, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, Nurburgring.

I do a track experience 5 days a week going down Central expressway in Dallas......
I always thought DNT or GBH were better than 75/35 haha

^ Likewise here too.
Muholland to Old Topanga to PCH and back to work 3x week!

On another note - someone please clue me in on these "brake ducts" for the 4BW. I did not know...
Check in your truck, lift the access panel. That is where I found mine. The dealer who performed the other work installed the front ducts for "free" since the wheels and other components were already being worked on. They only did the front ducts and said they could not install the rear ducts since the car would not be street-legal in PA with those parts installed.

1688147087918.png

I looked in my trunk next to where the compressor, tow hook and gas funnel were located and found nothing but the brake protectors and the spring spacers. My dealer suggested I look below the cutout that contains the parts, but was unable to lift it as it's well secured. This led me to believe that they either forgot to include the parts at the dealership, or that they installed them inappropriately during the PDI they were told not to do. I have yet to climb underneath to verify either option at this point, but have told them to send me a full set either way.

Thanks for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just checked and there is only the inflator.
Cooling ducts in the front would really help during track days. I dont care if if I have to buy them!

Any kinda pic that shows what they look like???

My advice would be to do a BMW Track Day and see if you get bit by the track bug. Did you go to SpringMountain for the Cadillac Driving School? Be careful though, because when the track bug bites it is going to be expensive.
I dropped about $30K in arrive and drive track sessions in 2022, including the notorious Nurburgring.

View attachment 19912

This year I am getting a lot more track time doing HPDE sessions in my CT4V-BW, but at local track not at high profile tracks that the driving school use - COTA, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, Nurburgring.
I’m going to Spring Mountain next month, so we will see! There is a new track nearing completion about 10 mins from my house called Tampa Motor Enclave. Supposedly they will have a few 4BWs available for driving experiences and open for public track events occasionally. The temptation will be strong with something that close

Buy the parts yourself, then have the dealer install. You will get a better price than they will offer.
Maybe don't go to dealer at all. Brakes, fluids, these are all pretty basic maintenance items that any shop can take care of.

As I've learned, the general takeaway is - don't go to the dealer to do alignments.

A number of people have suggested buying the lifetime alignment service from Firestone Wheel Alignment Services | Firestone Complete Auto Care

It's significantly cheaper than even a single dealership alignment and, depending on the quality of your local shop..., better done as well.

One thing I'm toying with is taking my car to a Chevy dealership rather than Cadillac for any services I don't feel qualified to do myself. In the few times I've taken my car to the Cadillac dealership it's clear they are not accustomed to working on Blackwings, even stating that they were nervous to work on mine as they had messed up on others... So it's paying a premium and getting lower quality work done. Not great.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back