Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

The dark side of blackwing ownership

Grainofsand

Seasoned Member
I know we're all rainbows and flowers over here about the blackwings. But the lack/cost of aftermarket support/options really impales the experience. Just thought I'd make this thread in hopes that something changes.

Unfortunately nobody is going to spend thousands, if not ten's of thousands of dollars doing research for a vehicle that has less then 25k cars built whose parts aren't interchangable. If you want that, you should have bought a Camaro or Mustang. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk by anymeans. Production numbers are where the money is at, and with the limited amount of production here, there's no money here. My other car had just over 180k produced, and there's only 3 main companies that do mods....and 1 of them is getting out of that car line.

D’oh, should have bought an Audi.

IMG_5693.gif

Definitely sucks. Even an OEM windshield takes months. I gave up and went with an aftermarket. Wouldn’t recommend it if you have HUD.

It can happen to any vehicle. A Jeep, perhaps the most mod extensive vehicle on the planet, and before the pandemic the wait time for a 6-spd transmission was over a year.

It can happen to any vehicle. A Jeep, perhaps the most mod extensive vehicle on the planet, and before the pandemic the wait time for a 6-spd transmission was over a year.
I would guess that’s not an issue anymore.

I would guess that’s not an issue anymore.
IDK, my crappy NSG370 never had and problems and if I needed a replacement I would go aftermarket with a Tremec TR-4050.

I am fortunate that this issue in no way affects me, as I plan to keep the car completely stock. I like it exactly as it is.

It seems winter tires are not exactly easy, and last year I never put them on. I found plenty of days that were over 40 degrees and dry to enjoy the car, and since it is not a daily for me, I don't have to have worry about it.

I’ve reached the point where my car and bike modding days are over. It’s really not worth it to spend thousands of dollars to get a slight increase in performance but with headaches of fault codes, ill fitting parts, no product support and more.

I'm all for modding if there are factory compromises or meaningful improvements to be had. The engineers already picked the low hanging fruit and the MSRP reflects this. For me that improves the ownership experience, expertly dialed.

I’d be happy if they made stock size winters. That’s about the only thing that really bothers me with lack of support. Sure, some exhaust choices etc would be nice, but not a deal breaker. The TT V6 isn’t going to sound much better with a different one.

My other car had just under 4000 units produced over its entire production run, and it had a fairly strong and healthy aftermarket. That’s partially because it was assumed owners would pony up the costs, but also because there existed problems that the OEM would not solve so there was a need for aftermarket support. At least five different manufacturers offered exhaust options for example.
The Blackwing is the first vehicle I’ve ever purchased that truly doesn’t need an aftermarket exhaust
GM really threw everything they had at these cars, so there are few if any aftermarket companies that possess the depth of engineering knowledge to improve pretty much anything on this platform.
You can’t even change the grill on one of these without reducing airflow to the radiators, so incredibly thorough was the engineering into so many pieces of the beast.

First, stock is really great.

Second, custom exhaust from a local shop is by far the best way to go anyway. Better options for sound, and its a tiny fraction of the cost.

Third, Kooks makes headers, and @WONT TAP is a forum member that seems to have loads of experience and newly created tools for tuning for more power. So I'd say there are still lots of aftermarket opportunities.

I know we're all rainbows and flowers over here about the blackwings. But the lack/cost of aftermarket support/options really impales the experience. Just thought I'd make this thread in hopes that something changes.
As someone who has extensively modified his Porsches and BMW's over the years, I agree it does kinda suck.

But considering I bought this vehicle to primarily be a kid to school hauler, it's probably for the best. lol.

To that point, the car is great in stock form. But I do miss how easy it was to tune and find aftermarket exhaust/wheel/etc options on previous vehicles.

Lambo moves fewer than 10k units per year across the entire platform and there is lots of aftermarket parts. And most of that is Uris.

My other car had just under 4000 units produced over its entire production run, and it had a fairly strong and healthy aftermarket. That’s partially because it was assumed owners would pony up the costs, but also because there existed problems that the OEM would not solve so there was a need for aftermarket support. At least five different manufacturers offered exhaust options for example.
The Blackwing is the first vehicle I’ve ever purchased that truly doesn’t need an aftermarket exhaust
GM really threw everything they had at these cars, so there are few if any aftermarket companies that possess the depth of engineering knowledge to improve pretty much anything on this platform.
You can’t even change the grill on one of these without reducing airflow to the radiators, so incredibly thorough was the engineering into so many pieces of the beast.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

It really depends on the what you are after in the aftermarket. If you want to modify the engine, the sky is the limit now with HPTuners available.

I am fortunate that this issue in no way affects me, as I plan to keep the car completely stock. I like it exactly as it is.

It seems winter tires are not exactly easy, and last year I never put them on. I found plenty of days that were over 40 degrees and dry to enjoy the car, and since it is not a daily for me, I don't have to have worry about it.
Where do you even get winters? I pretty much only use TireRack and they only provide High Performance All Seasons as options. Which I'm probably going to get as we don't get much snow in NJ and when we do, I don't get anywhere usually anyway.

Lambo moves fewer than 10k units per year across the entire platform and there is lots of aftermarket parts. And most of that is Uris.
I think 6 figure cars are a little different as performance shops know there is a lot of money flowing for folks buying Lambos.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back