Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Spring Mountain Impressions

Dallas is that you? I was at this class as well, I own a CT4 BW M6 but was able to drive the CT5 BW M6 on the track so that was really the first time I had ever driven the CT5 BW. Looking back the only thing I wish I would have done is take a Ct4 around the track so I could compare the 2 side by side. I am still trying to figure out if I want to keep my my 4 BW or try to get a 2nd job so I can afford the CT5 BW. It's certainly a good problem to have. Like everyone else said this is a such a great driving experience you will have so much fun.

Dallas is that you? I was at this class as well, I own a CT4 BW M6 but was able to drive the CT5 BW M6 on the track so that was really the first time I had ever driven the CT5 BW. Looking back the only thing I wish I would have done is take a Ct4 around the track so I could compare the 2 side by side. I am still trying to figure out if I want to keep my my 4 BW or try to get a 2nd job so I can afford the CT5 BW. It's certainly a good problem to have. Like everyone else said this is a such a great driving experience you will have so much fun.
I bought one of each (the 4 only as I waited for the 5, since sold) and attended SM twice. As someone who had never tracked a car before, it was an amazing experience.

I know many buy these Blackwings to track on a regular basis, and bless Cadillac for making them so track ready in stock form. If I engaged the hobby, I think the 4 is the car I would own. I would not care about a few seconds either way. But since I don't track, I prefer everything about the 5 as a street car. As we all agree, great to have the option.

Thanks for the info 668LT4, very helpful so I have a follow up question, on the street are you fighting for traction alot in the 5BW? I love the power and sound of the LT4 but it's alot more $ than the 4BW. I think if the prices of the used 5BW comes down that will be hard to pass up for now I will just be happy with my electric blue 4BW.

Thanks for the info 668LT4, very helpful so I have a follow up question, on the street are you fighting for traction alot in the 5BW? I love the power and sound of the LT4 but it's alot more $ than the 4BW. I think if the prices of the used 5BW comes down that will be hard to pass up for now I will just be happy with my electric blue 4BW.
In decent temps, no. But am I using some restraint? Of course. It is beyond easy to spin tires with the LT4. But I am frequently using full throttle in my car (with standard traction control on). I am not racing teslas and BMWs at stoplights. My car is waaaay cooler, and despite their efforts, I prefer not give them the satisfaction of hearing my glorious LT4 (OK, I admit allowing a tesla to bait me one time, but we were going about 45mph and after a downshift and full throttle, that little white car disappeared from view). But when I have an open road / area, I love to get up to speed as quick as I can. I feel I have mostly identified the line of how hard I can accelerate relative to wheelspin.

The cost issue is personal preference. Seeing the great deals going on new 4s, they are near impossible to pass up. I happen to find massive torque intoxicating, and therefore the 5 is my car. The stock exhaust sound is a cherry on top.

Either way you can't go wrong with either one, I am really interested in the Tap Out tune and upgrades if I can have almost ct5 V BW levels of power is a smaller lighter car it might be the best of both worlds.

In the 5BW, it is difficult to put the power down in the first several gears. Once you get the tires warm, and if the road is very smooth, it WILL put the power down. First thing in the morning, on a potholed, bumpy road (or God-forbid a slightly damp one) 50% throttle might be the limit.

The tires seem to want a lot of heat to work properly (a good thing if you track such a heavy car). If you set the dash to show tire pressure it will give you an average tire temp (cool, warm, hot, etc). It takes some spirited driving to get the tires to "warm," but once you do the car works really, really well. But if you just drive a couple of miles to the store and want to race a Tesla at the light, you're probably not going to have much luck getting the power down.

I love the sound of the 5BW, but the power is way overkill. I bought it knowing the power was overkill - in fact that is why I bought it, but in hindsight, the 472 hp of the 4BW is a lot more appropriate on the street. I guess I had visions of doing smokey burnouts from every stoplight, and drifting around every turn, but, apparently, I don't value those attributes as much as I did when I was 16. For me, the power of the 4BW is more than adequate and more shifting with shorter gearing and less power makes it more engaging on the street. Although my first car was a big block, I haven't driven a V8 regularly in a couple of decades until the 5BW. These days, I find smaller engines that rev like crazy more engaging.

In a similar vein, I went to an autocross recently and there were two ZL1 Camaros and two SS 1LEs. The SS 1LEs were quite a bit faster (I rode in all four of them and the 1LEs blew my mind at how good they were). I think the only place the LT4 would be faster is a race track - or if you routinely exceed 150mph on the freeway.

Also the 5 might get you arrested. I wont admit to racing a model S, but I will say that the 5BW at 160 mph feels like its going slower than most of my other cars do at 80mph. The car is still accelerating at 160 like most cars do at 80 or 90 - there is absolutely no sense you are anywhere near its limits. However, I hate to think what would happen if a cop clocked you at that speed. The car requires a lot more restraint than any other car I have owned - it only takes a few seconds to get to those speeds - and you really don't realize how fast you were going unless you check the PDR afterwards.

Also the 5 might get you arrested. I wont admit to racing a model S, but I will say that the 5BW at 160 mph feels like its going slower than most of my other cars do at 80mph. The car is still accelerating at 160 like most cars do at 80 or 90 - there is absolutely no sense you are anywhere near its limits. However, I hate to think what would happen if a cop clocked you at that speed. The car requires a lot more restraint than any other car I have owned - it only takes a few seconds to get to those speeds - and you really don't realize how fast you were going unless you check the PDR afterwards.

Exactly this! It's amazing how fast you get to 100 with such little effort. And once you're there, 120 is nothing. If you're out enjoying a spirited ride, it really does require restraint. Part of why I also love the HUD. You can look at that as opposed to the speedo on the dash.

If you set the dash to show tire pressure it will give you an average tire temp (cool, warm, hot, etc).

This is a must have on the dash. I'm always cautious until I get to "normal". Back end is too easy to get loose when "cool"

That's one thing that rang so true at the end of this video:

Yesterday I dropped a couple of gears to pass a dawdling left-lane Prius and - whoops - there's 103mph before I even passed him. Satisfying yet also a bit alarming.

Formerly my favorite car I had owned, which I wanted to emulate in the 5BW, was an E39 M5, which unlike most older M cars had great torque (369lb/ft from a 4.9L V8). A recent Road & Track article comparing the two pointed out that the 5BW pulls harder in 5th than that car does in 3rd. I did the rough math and they're mathematically correct, which is nuts to me because that M5 pulled hard in 3rd...

Can't say enough good things about how much fun Spring Mountain was. Took home autocross champ in the fast group and had an absolute blast. HIGHLY recommended.

1706498506695.png
1706498512720.png
1706498520530.png
1706498526344.png
1706498533740.png

Won't lie, that picture looks awesome, even though it must have dulled the experience somewhat
Glass half full situation. It was certainly an opportunity to 'fully explore' how these cars handle in adverse conditions. Limited top speed on the track, but it was an absolute blast to slide the thing around basically every corner. Very confidence building seeing just how good the PS4S tires are in the wet and how hard PTM - Wet works to keep you safe.

The wet skid pad exercise made us all feel a little like Ken Block. :D

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners