Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Spring Mountain Impressions

Heading out this morning for SM! Highs are 106 F for the next few days…
Fan Heatwave GIF by MOODMAN
But it's a dry heat!

Heading out this morning for SM! Highs are 106 F for the next few days…
Fan Heatwave GIF by MOODMAN
It was 114 and 112 my days last week. Glad to see it's cooling off 😉 . Somehow I lost the AC in my car on two of my runs making driving very interesting. Instant oven.

Went back an reread beginning of this post and caught something I missed earlier. Did anybody else have drones doing overhead filming during your class? I think that would have been extremely helpful in correcting and finding your line. Was not available or even mentioned on my trip in May.

Was it overheating? Mine did the same thing back in April when engine temps got too high.
I'm not sure. I was so focused on driving I didn't track any other things going on. One other driver mentioned it on his last run in the afternoon when it was peak heat, so maybe that was a factor. Or, I might have touched the AC button when I missed my 4-3 shift and went to 5th. The fan speed stayed at max, and the temp setting was 62 or so, but it felt like it was pulling outside air in into my face.

We had a drone a couple times during my days. The video wasn't specific to a driver but used to show braking and turn-in with the proper line.

I'm not sure. I was so focused on driving I didn't track any other things going on. One other driver mentioned it on his last run in the afternoon when it was peak heat, so maybe that was a factor. Or, I might have touched the AC button when I missed my 4-3 shift and went to 5th. The fan speed stayed at max, and the temp setting was 62 or so, but it felt like it was pulling outside air in into my face.

We had a drone a couple times during my days. The video wasn't specific to a driver but used to show braking and turn-in with the proper line.
Yeah, sounds like what happened to me. It kicks it into max fan and blowing heat into the cabin. Wasn't fun but it only happened to me the last lap of a session so I just backed off and cooled it down.

This was happening to me last week, i'd get 3 laps in and then it would overheat and blow just hot air into the cabin. Had to run slower until i got my turn behind the instructor, sorry for the guys behind me making them run slow.

Meanwhile, over at BMW...

Wow that's actually a brilliant idea. If they make a consumer version it could be a much enhanced version of autocross.

Fun events can held In a large parking lot. You can even have the "ghost" of your best lap or the "ghost" of the leader to race against, or even simulated other cars on "track."

Autocross and track days are great and all but this could take driving fun to the next level for relatively cheap and with great safety.

Did anybody else have drones doing overhead filming during your class? I think that would have been extremely helpful in correcting and finding your line.

They used it a little when I was there last month. They showed us one or two corners from one session.

It was an interesting tool. For me personally, following directly behind an instructor was better for finding the right line.

@MatthewAMEL and @KatyTxCT5V - you're bringing your wives ? We're all attending the Oct 1 - 2 class I believe..........which is now only 2 months away. :)

My wife is worried about being bored to death while I have fun on the track.

What did everybody else's better half do while they were learning how to be faster ?

@MatthewAMEL and @KatyTxCT5V - you're bringing your wives ? We're all attending the Oct 1 - 2 class I believe..........which is now only 2 months away. :)

What did everybody else's better half do while they were learning how to be faster ?
My wife was with me in the class and watched the whole thing from the tower. She also got to do two ride alongs with the instructor.

My wife had a good time. She went to town the first day. She also went to the pool both days. She also watched me driving some of the time. You could see some of the non-track events from our balcony, and watch all the track stuff from the tower. She also did the instructor ride along on the second day. She was worried she'd be scared, but after the three laps she came back totally excited about it. They used the same car you drive.

The instructors mentioned Maria's Taco Shop in Mountain Springs as a place they eat sometimes, and we stopped there on the back to Vegas. Authentic and local, but tricky to find (up the path behind the bar). Worth a look when you go.

@CBH yep, I will be there for the Oct 2 & 3.👍
My wife has decided not to join me for the trip. So I’ll be solo for the trip.

Hopefully the weather will be lots cooler during that time.

I'm headed out to SM in two weeks - excited to finally get some track time after missing out on VIR

SM was a lot of fun. The instructors were awesome and very helpful with the car and with track driving.

Just beware if you are in a 4 automatic. Overheated very easy when temp was over 106 outside. The transmission starts to shift like an old pickup without the clutch just slamming into gear throwing the whole car off.
If you get the unlucky 34A RUN. It was overheating after 3 or 4 sub 1:23 laps. Doing like 1:25 or higher staying in 5th really did seem to cool it off. The other car they put me in I think 30 lasted almost all of the 20 minute session running like 120-122 laps, besides the AC turning off.
Shifting once the yellow came on the HUD so like 6000 ish

Edit for temps:
282 oil the heat turns on AC off
285 ish the transmission starts to shift hard AF
301 oil the car cuts power
255 Coolant the car goes to limp

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed