Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Spring mountain- experienced racers?

As Andi mentioned above, it can be a blast even if you're experienced as the instructors can and will separate you into a sub-group and let you push the cars. The instructors like to have fun too and going 6/10ths in front of most students can get boring for them. On the other hand, having experienced drivers trying to run up their butt (safely, of course) gets their adrenaline pumping a little bit.

Go and try to beat my my 1:14 lap time on the East Bowl. It's doable as I made mistakes, but not easy. ;)

I'm having second thoughts about spring mountain, wanted to hear thoughts from folks who've been, who are experienced track drivers (racers, hpde, etc.). The corvette experience is a lot of basic stuff for people who have never been on track, like how to set options, check oil, use abs. I'm not sure if the cadillac experience is any better.

I'm an experienced hpde driver, instructor, and solo 1 racer. The flights, rental car, etc. are all more expensive than I had planned, plus I hate to fly these days, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Thoughts?

1705417691455.gif

As Andi mentioned above, it can be a blast even if you're experienced as the instructors can and will separate you into a sub-group and let you push the cars. The instructors like to have fun too and going 6/10ths in front of most students can get boring for them. On the other hand, having experienced drivers trying to run up their butt (safely, of course) gets their adrenaline pumping a little bit.

Go and try to beat my my 1:14 lap time on the East Bowl. It's doable as I made mistakes, but not easy. ;)

Ok, now it get interesting!!🏎️🏁. I want to go asap. So I guess my next move is to call and register. Thank you for info

I’m with you but I’ll like to learn all features about the 4bw track edition and learn track setups or just sent it the way it came? since I’m going to do track days with it. I’m an experienced driver as well as well as full competition licensed for over a decade have and currently sprints and enduros racing southeast series with SCCA, NASA, WRL had race Randy Pobst few times 🤣, ChampCar

I’m going to Sebring track day in February and will like to learn how you setup all the functions for track day or at least your preference. I have a 4bw

I'm having second thoughts about spring mountain, wanted to hear thoughts from folks who've been, who are experienced track drivers (racers, hpde, etc.). The corvette experience is a lot of basic stuff for people who have never been on track, like how to set options, check oil, use abs. I'm not sure if the cadillac experience is any better.

I'm an experienced hpde driver, instructor, and solo 1 racer.
Dude, if you are an experienced racer, there is no need to go. From what I've read, Spring Mountain is a like a V track day for people that don't do a lot of track days. You just gonna be bored.

If you wanna take your V on the track, just do a track day with a local car club (Porsche, Alfa, BMW, whatever - all the clubs hope to get more people at their track days to keep the costs low) or one of the 'Track Time' type vendors that rent the track and sell anyone a track day.

Dude, if you are an experienced racer, there is no need to go. From what I've read, Spring Mountain is a like a V track day for people that don't do a lot of track days. You just gonna be bored.

If you wanna take your V on the track, just do a track day with a local car club (Porsche, Alfa, BMW, whatever - all the clubs hope to get more people at their track days to keep the costs low) or one of the 'Track Time' type vendors that rent the track and sell anyone a track day.
I guess it all depends on the expense to get there and whether you're willing to make a trip out of it. I still derived a lot of value from it. I'm not a track rat by any means but it doesn't typically take me long to find the cars limits with some background in scca/nasa, and shifter kart racing in my younger years. The instructors are knowledgeable(for the most part) and it builds a cool sense of community(if you're into that kind of thing). And you get to beat on these cars for 2 days with no extra out of pocket(unless you send it of course).

I guess it all depends on the expense to get there and whether you're willing to make a trip out of it. I still derived a lot of value from it. I'm not a track rat by any means but it doesn't typically take me long to find the cars limits with some background in scca/nasa, and shifter kart racing in my younger years. The instructors are knowledgeable(for the most part) and it builds a cool sense of community(if you're into that kind of thing). And you get to beat on these cars for 2 days with no extra out of pocket(unless you send it of course).

I’m thinking the same!! Go try a new track and try to learn all track features for the car. Can anyone share the best track mode for that track ? So I can get an idea as of what to do on my first track day here in Florida

It's my understanding that the insurance only covers $10K. With modern and high end cars like the Blackwings it doesn't take all that much to see a $10K or more repair bill for a seemingly modest repair. Don

It's my understanding that the insurance only covers $10K. With modern and high end cars like the Blackwings it doesn't take all that much to see a $10K or more repair bill for a seemingly modest repair. Don
If I remember correctly, the normal deductible is 10k, if you damage a car. However, with the optional $200 or 250 insurance purchase, it drops that deductible down to 2k.

I’m going to Sebring track day in February and will like to learn how you setup all the functions for track day or at least your preference. I have a 4bw

What day in Feb? I am running Sebring on 2/9. I would be happy to help!

NM. I just found you on the entry list. I will PM you.

If I remember correctly, the normal deductible is 10k, if you damage a car. However, with the optional $200 or 250 insurance purchase, it drops that deductible down to 2k.
Correct, it’s a buy down from $10K to $2K at a cost of $250.

I think they required us to stay in 'sport' for the TPM mode. If it were my car on track, I'd do Race 1 or Race 2. Turns off stability and give you the precise traction management out of corners under throttle. That said, just play with the settings.

Goes without saying, make sure you get the car aligned (if you haven't already) and at least put in some good brake fluid (SRF or similar). Then, send it! :D

Correct, it’s a buy down from $10K to $2K at a cost of $250.
When I did the advanced Corvette school, it was IIRC $300. Only one driver went off track, and he did not damage the car, as far as we could see. Probably some undercarriage distress from the rocks, but I don't think they dinged him for that.
Thanks. I did (as noted) the two day advanced school many years ago, and even then I was bored when I had to do lead/follow behind the slower drivers. And the exercises (heel & toe, stuff like that) were also a waste of time for me. Natch, someone has to be the slowest in the group, and someone has to be the fastest. Usually I'm the slowest in the advanced groups at HPDE (because I'm slow, and I run on street tires) but at these things I tend to be fast.

I guess it all depends on the expense to get there and whether you're willing to make a trip out of it.
Yeah, from here (NC) the flights are terrible, the times are bad and the cost is high. Hotels are really expensive now in LV, rental cars are stupid expensive these days, I've BTDT with LV and SM, and so I cancelled.

Thanks all for the comments, ideas and suggestions.

When I did the advanced Corvette school, it was IIRC $300. Only one driver went off track, and he did not damage the car, as far as we could see. Probably some undercarriage distress from the rocks, but I don't think they dinged him for that.

Thanks. I did (as noted) the two day advanced school many years ago, and even then I was bored when I had to do lead/follow behind the slower drivers. And the exercises (heel & toe, stuff like that) were also a waste of time for me. Natch, someone has to be the slowest in the group, and someone has to be the fastest. Usually I'm the slowest in the advanced groups at HPDE (because I'm slow, and I run on street tires) but at these things I tend to be fast.

Yeah, from here (NC) the flights are terrible, the times are bad and the cost is high. Hotels are really expensive now in LV, rental cars are stupid expensive these days, I've BTDT with LV and SM, and so I cancelled.

Thanks all for the comments, ideas and suggestions.
Did you ask if you could do one of their Level classes rather than driving school? If you have the credentials and past experiences they have allowed that in the past. I know a few people that have been several times because they keep buying new vehicles.

At the end of my class the guy who was running it (forgot his name) told us to reach out/ petition to GM about setting up an advanced class for the Cadillacs.

I guess the interest from Spring Mountain is there, but GM has to approve or something?

Did you ask if you could do one of their Level classes rather than driving school? If you have the credentials and past experiences they have allowed that in the past. I know a few people that have been several times because they keep buying new vehicles.
I did not, because I've already done that once before, when I bought a new C7 Corvette. In that case, I was able to apply the cost of the intro school to the advanced school.

I did it, it was fun, don't really care to do it again in a flappy-paddle C8.

I think they required us to stay in 'sport' for the TPM mode. If it were my car on track, I'd do Race 1 or Race 2. Turns off stability and give you the precise traction management out of corners under throttle. That said, just play with the settings.

Goes without saying, make sure you get the car aligned (if you haven't already) and at least put in some good brake fluid (SRF or similar). Then, send it! :D
Thank you

Cold and hot tire air pressure?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners