Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Sports Sedan: Aesthetics vs Practicality

Ungwei

Seasoned Member
One of the most obvious advantages of getting a sedan is it's practicality, particularly in space for passengers and cargo. However, for me I find that my biggest reason for wanting a BW over say a corvette or some other two seater sports car is finding a capable car in a stealthy package to be very appealing.

I think I can actually blame BMW M cars, rally racing, and JDMs like the skyline for that. As much as the cargo space and passenger capabilities are nice, that wouldn't be enough alone to stop me from getting a sports car over a sports sedan/coupe.

I know a lot of people here have practical reasons for getting the BW, but anyone else like me just want a stealthy monster for the sake of it?

I have a fondness for 4 door sedans that are "stealthy"!! Plus i'm old with gray hair and the kids are to stupid to know what's about to happen to them, like a trip to Gapplebees, or a slice of gapperoni pizza with a side of gapsauce!!!! :)

Last 2 cars were Camaro's and the backseat was practically useless. Always just wanted the exact car but with 4 doors. shopped for an Chevy SS but found my V3 for a great deal. Still would like a C8 one of these days but the BW will pretty much be the perfect car for me

Last 2 cars were Camaro's and the backseat was practically useless. Always just wanted the exact car but with 4 doors. shopped for an Chevy SS but found my V3 for a great deal. Still would like a C8 one of these days but the BW will pretty much be the perfect car for me
I have no doubt that the 4BW will drive amazing because of the aspects it shares with the Camaro (performance wise GM sports cars right now are amazing), I hope the quality of the interior and luxury is top of the line as well. I plan on taking long road trips in it. I found the interior of the new M4 (besides the shifter) to be very nice and I hope I feel the same way in the 4BW.

While I'm not getting a Blackwing because I have some different financial goals set for myself at this time, this is actually a great topic. Allow me to share some miscellaneous observations:

I've been a BMW M lover for years because I've always appreciated smaller, more nimble cars that have more power than I need, but the chassis dynamics I desire. The BMW M cars have always given that to me. Unfortunately, the entire BMW lineup has gradually grown in size which in my eyes, has become more of a negative for me. That's one of the reasons why I love the M2.

However, as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate more of the luxury items that are found in higher end cars - I've always found BMWs to have a Spartan interior when it comes to their performance lineup - unless you want to get into the M5 or M8 models which are above my price point at this point in my life.

With my age, I've come to appreciate a car that has a Jekyl and Hyde personality. For me, Cadillac has mastered this well with their V-series platform over the years. Give me a smaller car, with a luxurious interior, but a hair raising powertrain and chassis, and I'll be a happy camper. Cadillac has pretty much achieved this - especially now with the Blackwing.

The only thing that's held me back from Cadillac is their overall size.

Cadillac design is beautiful. Interior quality IMHO, is finally on par, or damn near close to, the competition. That wasn't always the case with Cadillac, but in the last several years, they've really impressed me.

Today, I had the chance to look at a brand new, bright red, 2021 CT5 Sport. The car is absolutely beautiful and the interior blew me away. The carbon fiber trim with the red highlights in the weave, looked phenomenal. Overall, I loved the car, but as I stepped back - it was just...big in my eyes. Bigger than what I'm used to driving. And I admit, the last Cadillac I drove was a 2020 Escalade. Extremely comfortable inside, but I felt like I was driving an 18-wheeler. So, my overall experience driving Cadillacs could fit in a thimble.

The ATS-V really caught my eye when it came out, but I wanted to see how the car was going to progress in development before possibly buying one. For me - it was a perfect size with great dimensions. Unfortunately, Cadillac killed it - prematurely in my opinion.

As I've mentioned in a previous thread - I don't have a need for a four door and the back seats usually end up collecting dust. So I've always been fine with a two-door - two seater.

My daily driver is a BMW M235i - two door - four seats (rear seats are collecting dust 🤣). My toy is a 1990 Corvette ZR-1 that I've owned since 1994.

I've always loved Corvettes and the ZR-1 was the Jekyl and Hyde I had always been looking for. It can be a total cream puff cruising the boulevard while bringing your date out to a fancy restaurant, but just exhale slightly on the gas pedal, and the hounds of hell are ready to break through the gates. That's the kind of car that excites the hell out of me.

So, while the ZR-1 has only 375 hp and Corvettes have rolled out of the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly plant with double that power - the ole ZR-1 still puts a smile on my face. She's crude and quirky compared to the refinement of today's cars, and you have to muscle her a little bit in corners, but she's still a rewarding drive when I don't want any electrical nannies intruding on my driving pleasure.

The CT4-V Blackwing has really raised my eyebrows and I'm looking forward to checking out both Blackwing models.

If I don't end up getting a BMW M2 Competition as another toy first - the CT4-V Blackwing might just be the final nail in my BMW coffin.

For now though, I'm getting ready to pay off my BMW by the end of this month, and the thought of not having a car payment for the first time in many many moons - is like an erotic dream.

Anyways...enough of my miscellaneous ramblings...

For those of you with Blackwings on order, just know, I will be living through your eyes. I expect LOTS of pictures and driving experiences posted here please!! :_rock

Just this weekend I did autocross alongside an M2 and it wasn't much bigger than my GTI. It's an absolute pocket rocket, and I very much look forward to seeing what the next gen M2 looks like, if they can keep the price point and increase the horsepower, the 4BW will definitely have some tough competition.

Reactions: Rob
Just this weekend I did autocross alongside an M2 and it wasn't much bigger than my GTI. It's an absolute pocket rocket, and I very much look forward to seeing what the next gen M2 looks like, if they can keep the price point and increase the horsepower, the 4BW will definitely have some tough competition.
I just hope, for the love of all things holy, BMW doesn't slap that Miss Piggy front-grill on the M2 like they put on the new generation M3 and M4. I just can't get past those gaping nostrils. Ugh.

I just hope, for the love of all things holy, BMW doesn't slap that Miss Piggy front-grill on the M2 like they put on the new generation M3 and M4. I just can't get past those gaping nostrils. Ugh.
It would look absolutely hilarious with the shorter overall length, however I think the car will look more similar to the current M2 most likely, like the current vs last gen M5.

Ok, I'm going to say this and please don't hate me, but I like the new M3 front grill.....
I think it looks okay in person on the M4, and really suits the M4 gt3!
P90396985_highRes_spielberg-aut-19th-a.jpg

If they Cadillac decided to race in gt3 with a BW I would be so happy, I hope they at least continue prototype racing!

Ok, I'm going to say this and please don't hate me, but I like the new M3 front grill.....
I'm still reserving final judgement until I see it in person, but have yet to see a single picture of it that is even remotely appealing.

I did see a new 440i at my local dealer a month ago. Just...no...lol

The new grill on the M3/M4 didn't invoke too much negative emotion, but definitely on the non M cars it's terrible, especially the all electric ones. Look at how much better the Cadillac grille suite's there upcoming electric cars compared to BMW.
2023-cadillac-lyriq-101-1596744486.jpg

The_first_BMW_iX_Highlights_2.0.jpg
cadillac-escala-concept-2016-1600-06-1583764568.jpg
P90416000-first-view-on-the-upcoming-bmw-i4-pre-production-model-shown-3-2021-2248px.jpg

Absolute night and day, more so than even the Blackwings vs the M3. I'm actually pretty psyched to one day see an electrified BW.

I will probably be dead before everyone is forced to drive a freaking EV and that will be ok with me.....I'm old school and can't get onboard with electric crap.....Thats all I have to say about that, in my best Forest Gump voice... :)

I will probably be dead before everyone is forced to drive a freaking EV and that will be ok with me.....I'm old school and can't get onboard with electric crap.....Thats all I have to say about that, in my best Forest Gump voice... :)
Amen!!!!!

I also like the idea of having a powerful big sedan, that I can fit all my family or friends in , too. I want to enjoy my car, but also let others enjoy it. One at a time (for a 2 door/seater) just doesn’t sound as good.
I totaled my 05 GTO in 2013, and haven’t been in a performance car since.
Looked at V2s for a while, then the SS came around, and I saw the 15s were coming with a manual. I was set on one. Unfortunately, my bank account didn’t align with a new $40k car for a while.
Did some contract work overseas the last couple years and was finally getting ready to pick up an SS.
Along came the BW. Badass car, but more than I ever thought I’d spend on a car. I woke up at 2AM (Iraq time) to try my hand at the lotto for the 250 5 BW, still can’t believe I got one.
Considering heading back overseas somewhere to come up with the cash to pay for it outright, but I’m beyond excited to be in something fun again.

Last edited:
Have to agree with the whole 4 is more thought. It'll be great driving this monster but with passengers even better! The whole family can enjoy it with me. My wife might not enjoy some of ride........I personally am looking forward to a sunny weekend and taking the family out of town in it. If I didn't buy this I was considering a zl1 or a Backdraft Shelby cobra. Both of which hold 2! Feel like when the BW's came along I hit the jackpot. I have to say though I don't think of them as being very big. My brother and I are planning on an Adirondack weekend of driving awesome roads with great scenery. He'll be in his Superformance Cobra and me in my BW5. For his sake I hope it doesn't rain!

Have to agree with the whole 4 is more thought. It'll be great driving this monster but with passengers even better! The whole family can enjoy it with me. My wife might not enjoy some of ride........I personally am looking forward to a sunny weekend and taking the family out of town in it. If I didn't buy this I was considering a zl1 or a Backdraft Shelby cobra. Both of which hold 2! Feel like when the BW's came along I hit the jackpot. I have to say though I don't think of them as being very big. My brother and I are planning on an Adirondack weekend of driving awesome roads with great scenery. He'll be in his Superformance Cobra and me in my BW5. For his sake I hope it doesn't rain!
Adirondacks and white Mountains have some fantastic driving roads, definitely will be going up there with my 4BW!

My last car was totaled so I was driving rentals for a few months. When I got my non carbon V3, my neighbors wife thought it was another rental. “Cool” I said to myself. I prefer to fly under the radar, literally. 🙂

I also like the idea of having a powerful big sedan, that I can fit all my family or friends in , too. I want to enjoy my car, but also let others enjoy it. One at a time (for a 2 door/seater) just doesn’t sound as good.
I totaled my 05 GTO in 2013, and haven’t been in a performance car since.
Looked at V2s for a while, then the SS came around, and I saw the 15s were coming with a manual. I was set on one. Unfortunately, my bank account didn’t align with a new $40k car for a while.
Did some contract work overseas the last couple years and was finally getting ready to pick up an SS.
Along came the BW. Badass car, but more than I ever thought I’d spend on a car. I woke up at 2AM (Iraq time) to try my hand at the lotto for the 250 5 BW, still can’t believe I got one.
Considering heading back overseas somewhere to come up with the cash to pay for it outright, but I’m beyond excited to be in something fun again.
where at in Iraq? I've been in BIAP, Al Asad, Basrah, Balad, Al Kut, Al Amarah, Erbil...and a couple of remote out stations in my 22 yr career. some how I was always able to avoid TQ, Ramadi, and the Fallujah areas.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back