Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Sport Display Question

mkyledoyle

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 V Blackwing
I have looked through my owners manual (which is not user friendly to say the least) looking for the answer to this question:
On the sport display (not track) for the 6 speed manual cars there is a circle around the selected gear indicator. The circle changes from white to green to yellow. What is that indicating?

Thank you!

It indicates your approach to redline when the car is under load and power.. Kind of like a shift light. You would want to shift when it gets to red. IDK if it is on lower models, but all the V's have it-manual or auto.

page 102 of the owners manual:

A strong visual indicator is displayed
as the vehicle approaches the red line.
Tour and Sport themes feature shift
rings
while the Track theme features
shift lights accompanied by a
numerical tachometer display.

Shift light. The track mode tach doesn’t have it on the screen if you have the HUD. The HUD actually has a really cool shift light instead in the shape of the Blackwing ‘wings’. But it only applies to the track tach. If you use the tour or sport tachs, the HUD shift light ceases to function and the screen shift lights take over.

The circle also turns yellow (at all RPM) when rev match is activated.

Edit: Its actually the number the turns yellow with rev match, not the circle.

Last edited:
Cadillac online and telephone support was not able to answer a question about the rings that change color on the tachometer for a 2023 CT5 BW manual transmission. I believe the display is set to sport — it has an analog type display for the tachometer and digital display of speed. These my observations:
When the engine is warm (somewhere >150-160 F) the ring only changes in first gear. For all the other gears, the ring is always white. These are the changes in first gear white->Green 3,500 RPM, Green->Yellow somewhere around 4,500 RPM then red when approaching the top end.

When cold, the rings change color in gear 1-3. I never tached it up in a higher gear. White->Green 3,250 RPM Green-> Yellow 4,000 RPM. It turns red somewhere around 4,500 but cannot recall exactly.

What exactly do all the colors mean? Does the green ring in first gear mean that one should always keep the RPMs above 3,500? That is how one drives some European sports cars.

Cadillac online and telephone support was not able to answer a question about the rings that change color on the tachometer for a 2023 CT5 BW manual transmission. I believe the display is set to sport — it has an analog type display for the tachometer and digital display of speed. These my observations:
When the engine is warm (somewhere >150-160 F) the ring only changes in first gear. For all the other gears, the ring is always white. These are the changes in first gear white->Green 3,500 RPM, Green->Yellow somewhere around 4,500 RPM then red when approaching the top end.

When cold, the rings change color in gear 1-3. I never tached it up in a higher gear. White->Green 3,250 RPM Green-> Yellow 4,000 RPM. It turns red somewhere around 4,500 but cannot recall exactly.

What exactly do all the colors mean? Does the green ring in first gear mean that one should always keep the RPMs above 3,500? That is how one drives some European sports cars.
This is a high torque American V8. There is NO reason to always keep rpms above 3,500. On the street that is.

Last edited:
Around town I shift between 3K and 4K. When I get into it it’s obviously higher.

This is a high torque American V8. There is NO reason to always keep rpms above 3,500. On the street that is.
I guess those of us with the V6 will just have to let it bounce off the limiter...

I guess those of us with the V6 will just have to let it bounce off the limiter...
The key word here is always. The word used in the original post I quoted. I run rpms above 3,500 frequently when sporty shifting and to red line occasionally. There is no reason to ALWAYS keep rpms above 3,500 for v8 or v6 for everyday street driving.

Last edited:

Post #2 answered the questions about the purpose of the rings. Green>Yellow>Red indicate the approach to rediline.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back