Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA Regarding CT5 Blackwing SD Cards for PDR and Surround Vision Recorder

What is the largest size card that will work?
According to the Internet the max disk size for exFAT is 128 PB :) I think the 4 GB file size is going to be more of an issue - at 1080p that means you're limited to about 40 minutes before you hit the max file size.

I need to revisit this once I get my car back from detailer, but I bought a SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro SDXC card. I do have the PDR, but I dont think I optioned the parking package.

I know the recordings have been working fine thus far, but am I not utilizing the full space of the card by not formatting it first? Sounds like my PC won't be well suited for this task in the first place.

I need to revisit this once I get my car back from detailer, but I bought a SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro SDXC card. I do have the PDR, but I dont think I optioned the parking package.

I know the recordings have been working fine thus far, but am I not utilizing the full space of the card by not formatting it first? Sounds like my PC won't be well suited for this task in the first place.
I did not order any extra stuff and I know the recorder works with my 360° camera as a dash cam. You may want to try it

so… I can buy a 256gb card?

And just use a pc to format fat32?

It has to be formatted to exFAT if you want to exceed 32g
Correct. All the larger cards I've bought already come formatted exFAT. So just to summarize, for the PDR just buy a big card and stick it in the slot. For the surround vision camera you need to reformat the card as FAT32 using some utility like formatgui.

Correct. All the larger cards I've bought already come formatted exFAT. So just to summarize, for the PDR just buy a big card and stick it in the slot. For the surround vision camera you need to reformat the card as FAT32 using some utility like formatgui.
That's interesting. I stuck one of my new cards (128gb, exFAT) into the PDR and it didn't do anything. It never read any card until I formatted it into Fat32 using Ubuntu

Wait what?
For the non-pdr dashcam, if I buy a larger than 32 card, what is the final answer on format?

For the surround video camera (aka non-PDR) you need to format the card as FAT32. Windows will only format up to a 32GB card as FAT32 natively due to sector size. However, if you download a 3rd party utility like I linked above you can format bigger cards as FAT32 by using a larger sector size. The tool will do this for you automatically.

I installed 256gb in the PDR, and I tried 1tb format exfat in the PDR and both worked fine. On the surround vision recorder would only work with 32gb.

I installed 256gb in the PDR, and I tried 1tb format exfat in the PDR and both worked fine. On the surround vision recorder would only work with 32gb.
SVR must be Fat32. I don't think it has the ability to format cards.

Did you try re-formatting one of your cards via the PDR, then sticking it into the SVR?

I tried to format my 256 card to Fat32 and put it in the svr, no dice... I do not have the PDR so I cannot do that experiment... maybe @Akamai58 can

Last edited:
SVR must be Fat32. I don't think it has the ability to format cards.

Did you try re-formatting one of your cards via the PDR, then sticking it into the SVR?
No I didn't, I formatted on my PC.

I tried to format my 356 card to Fat32 and put it in the svr, no dice... I do not have the PDR so I cannot do that experiment... maybe @Akamai58 can
Format using your computer and format to Exfat for the 256gb. On the 32gb I did format that to fat32. I don't know if the cars recorders will format them or not.

Format using your computer and format to Exfat for the 256gb. On the 32gb I did format that to fat32. I don't know if the cars recorders will format them or not.
That is what I did... but it didn't work in the SVR. The largest card I have been able to make work was 32gb

I do not have PDR, only the standard surround vision recorder. My Dad had an extra 64 gig card and he used his mac laptop and he selected 'fat' and it formatted the card and when it finished in less than a minute, the mac computer screen popped up 'formatted to fat32' It works awesome and no issues to date.

It's great to have a built in dash cam that records 360 degrees around the car.

Yeah svr MUST be fat32 (not exFAT). Windows will only allow formatting up to 32gb for fat32 because they don't want people using it anymore as NTFS and exFAT are better options.

There are windows utilities that will format cards bigger than 32gb in fat32. You can also use Mac and Linux to do it as well.

I have a 256gb fat32 card in my SVR that I formatted using Ubuntu. Works fine.

Yeah svr MUST be fat32 (not exFAT). Windows will only allow formatting up to 32gb for fat32 because they don't want people using it anymore as NTFS and exFAT are better options.

There are windows utilities that will format cards bigger than 32gb in fat32. You can also use Mac and Linux to do it as well.

I have a 256gb fat32 card in my SVR that I formatted using Ubuntu. Works fine.
I will try again... Maybe I did something wrong... I will do long format

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners