Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PDR and Surround Vision Camera Recording

Mikey_hux

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2023 ct5v Blackwing that I just purchased. I saw that there is a sd card slot on the left side of the steering. I put in a 256GB sd card and the PDR works. However, I did see an sd card slot in the trunk as well and i formatted a 256 GB sd card into Fat32 but when i check the screen it says no sd card found.

I do have the driver assist package but not the parking package. Does this mean that without the parking package the SVR wont work? I am just confused as there is an sd card slot in the trunk.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you. After trial and error and reformatting 126 and 256GB with no success, I ended up buying a 32GB SD card and it worked straight away.
Sometimes the owners manual knows what it is talking about. :)

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2023 ct5v Blackwing that I just purchased. I saw that there is a sd card slot on the left side of the steering. I put in a 256GB sd card and the PDR works. However, I did see an sd card slot in the trunk as well and i formatted a 256 GB sd card into Fat32 but when i check the screen it says no sd card found.

I do have the driver assist package but not the parking package. Does this mean that without the parking package the SVR wont work? I am just confused as there is an sd card slot in the trunk.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
My experience with 256 GB SD cards was the same: works fine with the PDR, but not with the SVR even after formatting FAT32.

However, I found that an otherwise-identical 128 GB SD Card formatted FAT32 works fine with the SVR.

My experience with 256 GB SD cards was the same: works fine with the PDR, but not with the SVR even after formatting FAT32.

However, I found that an otherwise-identical 128 GB SD Card formatted FAT32 works fine with the SVR.
When you say it works fine, does that mean when the card is filled up you can playback the videos on a PC or Mac? I could get the 128GB cards to record and play back in the car, but not on my PC or Mac.

Wow. I did try a 128 GB SD card and used DiskGenius to format it to Fat32 and that did not work. It was a 3 times trip to best buy :(

When you say it works fine, does that mean when the card is filled up you can playback the videos on a PC or Mac? I could get the 128GB cards to record and play back in the car, but not on my PC or Mac.
Yes, the files play back just fine on my Mac. I'm using VLC Player Version 2.2.6 Umbrella (Intel 64bit) under MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina). Having set VLC Player as the default app for AVI files, I simply double-click on the desired file in the Finder, and it opens and starts playing instantly.

Have you tried VLC Player? It's available for both PC & Mac. I haven't tried the PC version -- I don't do Windows.

Wow. I did try a 128 GB SD card and used DiskGenius to format it to Fat32 and that did not work. It was a 3 times trip to best buy :(
Odd… I wonder why. On the off chance it matters, this is the SD Card I'm using. I originally bought two the 256GB version, hoping to use one in the PDR, and the other in the SVR. It worked perfectly right out of the package in the PDR -- no reformatting necessary. It did NOT work in the SVR at all, despite multiple attempts to reformat it as FAT32.

I saw in another thread where someone had gotten a 128GB card working in their SVR, so I decided to give it a try. I bought the same SD Card from Amazon in the 128GB size, reformatted it FAT32, and it's been working perfectly in the SVR since.

Odd… I wonder why. On the off chance it matters, this is the SD Card I'm using. I originally bought two the 256GB version, hoping to use one in the PDR, and the other in the SVR. It worked perfectly right out of the package in the PDR -- no reformatting necessary. It did NOT work in the SVR at all, despite multiple attempts to reformat it as FAT32.

I saw in another thread where someone had gotten a 128GB card working in their SVR, so I decided to give it a try. I bought the same SD Card from Amazon in the 128GB size, reformatted it FAT32, and it's been working perfectly in the SVR since.
Nice. I did purchase the 128 GB Samsung SD Card, but I believe it was an evo plus but not the endurance. Which utility did you use to format the card? I have a window 11 and used DiskGenius with no success.

Nice. I did purchase the 128 GB Samsung SD Card, but I believe it was an evo plus but not the endurance. Which utility did you use to format the card? I have a window 11 and used DiskGenius with no success.
Well, now you're taxing my poor memory -- which admittedly doesn't take much these days. :rolleyes:

I used either Disk Utility under MacOS, or this free utility for Windows that was recommended in another thread on this forum with Windows 10 under VMWare Fusion on my Mac. I know for sure I tried both of them with the 256GB card, but could never get it to work in the SVR. But one or the other definitely worked with the 128GB card. I'm reviewing SVR footage from my drive home from work today even now.

Well, now you're taxing my poor memory -- which admittedly doesn't take much these days. :rolleyes:

I used either Disk Utility under MacOS, or this free utility for Windows that was recommended in another thread on this forum with Windows 10 under VMWare Fusion on my Mac. I know for sure I tried both of them with the 256GB card, but could never get it to work in the SVR. But one or the other definitely worked with the 128GB card. I'm reviewing SVR footage from my drive home from work today even now.
LOL. I just bought it from amazon the one that you purchased and will give it a try in a week when I get the car back after matte ppf and tints. Hopefully it works lol

Yes, the files play back just fine on my Mac. I'm using VLC Player Version 2.2.6 Umbrella (Intel 64bit) under MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina). Having set VLC Player as the default app for AVI files, I simply double-click on the desired file in the Finder, and it opens and starts playing instantly.

Have you tried VLC Player? It's available for both PC & Mac. I haven't tried the PC version -- I don't do Windows.
I’ve been using VLC on my Macs for maybe 10 years now. It’s that some of the files aren’t recognized by the OS. But the files are there and readable in the car. Since technically FAT32 cannot have partitions above 32GB all cameras that use FAT32 create their own workaround for addressing the files. Apparently there are solutions, but I’ve tried everything I know and read too many websites, none of which helped. I may have permanently affected my 128GB card when I used it in other cameras that do their own formatting. - And work fine.

I’ve been using VLC on my Macs for maybe 10 years now. It’s that some of the files aren’t recognized by the OS. But the files are there and readable in the car. Since technically FAT32 cannot have partitions above 32GB all cameras that use FAT32 create their own workaround for addressing the files. Apparently there are solutions, but I’ve tried everything I know and read too many websites, none of which helped. I may have permanently affected my 128GB card when I used it in other cameras that do their own formatting. - And work fine.
Interesting. I've never encountered that before. FAT32 is definitely a dinosaur and it's frankly surprising that it works with large volumes at all. It could be that I'll encounter the same problems as the card fills up. We'll see...

FAT32 max volume size is 2 TB.

What might be causing problems on the 256 GB cards is the sector and cluster size the formatting tool is picking.

FAT32 max volume size is 2 TB.

What might be causing problems on the 256 GB cards is the sector and cluster size the formatting tool is picking.
Yes, I see you are correct about the 2TB. It’s pretty confusing since Windows apparently sees only 32GB. I’m not even sure I know why FAT32 is still being used at all. It was replaced 30 years ago. I virtually never use it and then GM throws me a curve ball. I guess I should feel lucky they don’t use floppy disks in my car.

I’ve tried several partition tools, one I even paid for and none of them see anything more than 32GB. But the Samsung card works fine in my Leica camera and sees the 128GB and formats to exFat.

Last edited:
Yes, I see you are correct about the 2TB. It’s pretty confusing since Windows apparently sees only 32GB. I’m not even sure I know why FAT32 is still being used at all. It was replaced 30 years ago. I virtually never use it and then GM throws me a curve ball. I guess I should feel lucky they don’t use floppy disks in my car.
Windows default file system for bulk storage is NTFS, it wouldn't offer to format large drives as FAT32 in order to force people to NTFS.

exFAT is the go-to default for SD cards but requires (required?) paying licensing fees.

Way more information than I need to know to properly operate my car. I’m an engineer and thought I knew something about computers, but apparently I need to go back to school and get a computer science degree. - That would also help when I’m trying to work on my car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back