Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA Regarding CT5 Blackwing SD Cards for PDR and Surround Vision Recorder

I have a 256gb that I’ve formatted to FAT32 but SVR won’t recognize the card. Any advice?

Quick question on playback. I have a 128gb in my 4V BWs PDR and it is recording fine. Playback is choppy though, anyone have any idea if it is due to my daughter’s crappy ASUS computer she uses for school or due to the SD cards size? We are an Apple family, but I read somewhere playback works better on Windows than IOS. Plus none of my Apple products have a SD slot, I’ll have to buy an adapter for them and try it.

Quick question on playback. I have a 128gb in my 4V BWs PDR and it is recording fine. Playback is choppy though, anyone have any idea if it is due to my daughter’s crappy ASUS computer she uses for school or due to the SD cards size? We are an Apple family, but I read somewhere playback works better on Windows than IOS. Plus none of my Apple products have a SD slot, I’ll have to buy an adapter for them and try it.
SVR is choppy, but not PDR for me (on a pc). 32G for SVR and 256G for PDR. Is it choppy when you play it in the car?

SVR is choppy, but not PDR for me (on a pc). 32G for SVR and 256G for PDR. Is it choppy when you play it in the car?
Haven’t tried it in the car, will have to next time I’m in there.

@skowser, it's been awhile so my memory may be foggy, but I seem to recall that there was confusion between the PDR and SVR SD card required specs.

For my SVR I originally tried a 256 also (which did not work), then reread the thread(s) and switched to a 32 and that has been fine for the past year+ (which correlates with @shbox).

Last edited:
In the SVR I tried a Samsung Class 10 128GB card formatted by various means. It recorded and played back in the car, but many files were unreadable in both a Mac and PC. I went to a 32GB and resolved the issue. It may be possible to get a card with > 32GB to work, but I put enough time into it before I gave up. If I really thought I had a need for saving that much video I would keep trying.

I have a 5 year old $100 dash cam for another vehicle that formats cards up to 256GB and find it absurd that my $100K car can’t format cards. Good work GM.

Yeah, it seemed that some had gotten larger cards to work in the SVR but clearly not, at least not at my level of computing ability. 32gb it is!
@skowser, it's been awhile so my memory may be foggy, but I seem to recall that there was confusion between the PDR and SVR SD card required specs.

For my SVR I originally tried a 256 also (which did not work), then reread the thread(s) and switched to a 32 and that had been fine for the past year+ (which correlates with @shbox).

I am currently using one of these for my SVR and another for my PDR. My son formatted both as FAT32 on his Macbook. Both are working just fine.

That’s exactly the one I tried that did not work. I tried formatting it on my MacBook and PC with various formatting software tools. It records and plays back in the car, but many files are unreadable on my computers.

That’s exactly the one I tried that did not work. I tried formatting it on my MacBook and PC with various formatting software tools. It records and plays back in the car, but many files are unreadable on my computers.
I will have to try PC playback. Have not tried that yet.

Wanted to share some learnings from last night regarding the SD card formatting for the PDR and Surround Vision Recorder.

First, the PDR (SD card slot next to steering wheel)

Card format must be Fat32. If your card is formatted in exFAT (it will be if you buy a brand new one and don't stick it in a computer), the PDR system can format the card properly. However, if your SD card is formatted in NTFS, PDR cannot format in Fat32. You will need to re-format the card back into exFAT via windows then let the PDR do it's thing.

A note if your SD card is over 32gb:
Windows cannot easily format SD cards in Fat32 over 32gb. Linux can. So can your PDR as long as you format the card BACK into exFAT (this is the easiest option)

Second, Surround Vision Recorder:

This is the SD card slot in the trunk (if equipped). This must also be Fat32 formatted. If you have the PDR, simply format your SD card via the PDR as mentioned above, remove the card from PDR, and install in the trunk. The SVR system is apparently incapable of formatting cards. If you don't have PDR, but do have SVR (i'm not sure if this is possible, but if it is), and want to use a card bigger than 32gb, you will need to format in Fat32 using some form of Linux or alternate methods on Windows.

While on the subject of SVR, which is part of the parking package, this is basically a 360view dashcam. It will automatically start recording when accessory power, or the car is turned on if an SD card is present. Videos can be viewed directly from the 'video recorder' app on the main infotainment screen. From this screen you can save videos of interest so they don't get overwritten. Videos are saved in 5 min blocks. No audio. Video includes front, rear, left, and right cameras. It's actually quite nifty.

The PDR can also be set to record automatically when the car is turned on. Both the PDR and SVR can record at the same time.

The TL:DR is,

SD cards must be Fat32 format. Windows sucks at doing this if over 32gb. The SVR is a 360deg dashcam.

Also, this is for a 5BW. 4BW folks, the PDR section would apply. The SVR section doesn't as it looks like it's not an option on the 4.
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2023 ct5v blackwing. I put in a 256GB on the PDR slot and that worked fine. I formatted another 256 GB to Fat32 and put it in the slot in the trunk but it doesnt work and shows no sd card found. I do not have a parking assist option does this mean i dont have the SVR?

The recommended card for the SVR is 32G per the owners manual. Some, but not all, have been able to get a larger one to work. You should have an icon on your screen for the SVR.

The recommended card for the SVR is 32G per the owners manual. Some, but not all, have been able to get a larger one to work. You should have an icon on your screen for the SVR.
When i press the SVR on the screen it says no sd card found. I think the issue is the sd card. i bought a Scandisk Extreme Plus 256GB

Put a 32GB card and it will work. 256GB is too big for the SVR.

Any help here is appreciated regarding the SVR no card found.

2022 5BW, Bought a 32GB Sandisk extreme card, Formatted it every possible way Fat and exFat no good. I then bought the White Samsung Pro Endurance card mentioned here in 32GB, Tried right out of the package no good. DId a long FAT32 format still no good. I even checked to ensure the wiring on the back of the card reader in the trunk was plugged in and I can see 2 cables are so I dont think it's a hardware issue.

TIA!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners