Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA Regarding Bayed / Shipping

Is the site down?

Apparently, it's not going to be available at the consumer level any longer.
LOL probably got overloaded by all of us incessantly refreshing it. I have to admit when I saw it was just returning blanks, I assumed the whole inventory tracking system got wiped and they lost track of all the cars, adding another 6 months to the delivery time for any cars in Autoport at Delta. :LOL:

After reading through the 41 page saga I'm at a complete loss and frankly rethinking whether to just walk.

GM claims they have supply chain issues but logically certain things with either GM or Jack Cooper don't add up.

I get the run-shy strategy which keeps the factories and subs open, and prevents laying off workers. So yes you wind up with a parking lots full of cars you can't ship.

But if there are fewer cars to ship, how is Jack Cooper unable to keep up? Even if you wait for full rail irvtrucks, you should theoretical have more capacity than demand because everyone is shipping fewer cars. Time spent complete and ready to deliver should fall vs normal.

Moreover surely someone had the foresight to bay the vehicles in an easily tracked fifo arrangement. Come guys material management 101... Even if not, by now two years in all the Blk Belts should have identified ways to maximize revenue by delivering completed cars quickly.

Your up level cars have the longest waits, due to more features lacking parts but they're also your highest margin so common sense would be focused on delivering them first. That's trucks and top trim models of your ranges.

Gm doesn't appear to be doing any of that and JC is in need of Accelerated to keep up. It doesn't add up.

After reading through the 41 page saga I'm at a complete loss and frankly rethinking whether to just walk.

GM claims they have supply chain issues but logically certain things with either GM or Jack Cooper don't add up.

I get the run-shy strategy which keeps the factories and subs open, and prevents laying off workers. So yes you wind up with a parking lots full of cars you can't ship.

But if there are fewer cars to ship, how is Jack Cooper unable to keep up? Even if you wait for full rail irvtrucks, you should theoretical have more capacity than demand because everyone is shipping fewer cars. Time spent complete and ready to deliver should fall vs normal.

Moreover surely someone had the foresight to bay the vehicles in an easily tracked fifo arrangement. Come guys material management 101... Even if not, by now two years in all the Blk Belts should have identified ways to maximize revenue by delivering completed cars quickly.

Your up level cars have the longest waits, due to more features lacking parts but they're also your highest margin so common sense would be focused on delivering them first. That's trucks and top trim models of your ranges.

Gm doesn't appear to be doing any of that and JC is in need of Accelerated to keep up. It doesn't add up.

Totally agree. Took over 5 months from when my car was built to when I received it. Made absolutely zero sense. Got the runaround from a lot of parties--probably people trying their best, but without information in hand. Incredibly frustrating. Then when you get it you will notice the bad paint and misaligned gaps. Finally you will drive it and love it anyway. YMMV.

I'll bet you don't walk. Looking at the full schedule you detail in your signature, you seem incredibly lucky to me. I don't disagree with your opinions, but you are just over 4 months and at least your car is built. Many here approach or are over a year and have no car.

I'll bet you don't walk. Looking at the full schedule you detail in your signature, you seem incredibly lucky to me. I don't disagree with your opinions, but you are just over 4 months and at least your car is built. Many here approach or are over a year and have no car.

I'm actually close to a year in as my original dealer wasn't as transparent as they could have been regarding their allocations.

My 25+ year career has been in Supply Chain Management, I even did work for GM as a consultant in streamlining their subcontractor relationships years ago, so I tend to get a little hot under the collar when people arbitrarily blame Supply Chain issues to mask profit taking, under staffing and or mismanagement. Ie You're not understaffed at Walmart due to the pandemic or Supply Chain issues, you're understaffed because your managers are pushed to minimize labor cost, not so you can reduce prices to customers ro drive volume sales but rather to deliver the dividends to the share holders .

Some of these failure modes are a result of business model decisions, not headwinds in the market.

Fewer complete vehicles should have JC with excess capacity not less. After almost three years of pandemic operations, first in first out (FIFO) should have been worked out by now, with completed cars spending fewer days in post production not more. We're seeing the opposite which means GM either still doesn't have a handle on the situation or worse their subcontractors cannot support even the reduced demand.

In Supplier Management the low cost high influence quadrant is the goal but there is a tipping point were the relationship becomes toxic and additional demand actually is debilitating to the subcontractor. They can't deliver and they ripple the whole chain .

Walking was a poor choice of words, I meant walking away from the order process and taking a car on the ground already, as now I'm getting calls from multiple dealers on cars at 90% of my spec.

I'm actually close to a year in as my original dealer wasn't as transparent as they could have been regarding their allocations.

My 25+ year career has been in Supply Chain Management, I even did work for GM as a consultant in streamlining their subcontractor relationships years ago, so I tend to get a little hot under the collar when people arbitrarily blame Supply Chain issues to mask profit taking, under staffing and or mismanagement. Ie You're not understaffed at Walmart due to the pandemic or Supply Chain issues, you're understaffed because your managers are pushed to minimize labor cost, not so you can reduce prices to customers ro drive volume sales but rather to deliver the dividends to the share holders .

Some of these failure modes are a result of business model decisions, not headwinds in the market.

Fewer complete vehicles should have JC with excess capacity not less. After almost three years of pandemic operations, first in first out (FIFO) should have been worked out by now, with completed cars spending fewer days in post production not more. We're seeing the opposite which means GM either still doesn't have a handle on the situation or worse their subcontractors cannot support even the reduced demand.

In Supplier Management the low cost high influence quadrant is the goal but there is a tipping point were the relationship becomes toxic and additional demand actually is debilitating to the subcontractor. They can't deliver and they ripple the whole chain .

Walking was a poor choice of words, I meant walking away from the order process and taking a car on the ground already, as now I'm getting calls from multiple dealers on cars at 90% of my spec.
You are only a little more than a month out of your car being built and some are showing up at dealers without the status being updated. Though your car might have a little wait for a part or something, at least it is not trapped in the middle of the lot that a lot of previous cars were. I understand the frustration and hopefully it will arrive soon.

Gotcha, I just saw the order date and it looks like it got picked up quickly. Hopefully you will have it soon. The 4 is really a brilliant machine. I put close to 2000 miles on mine.

The logistics do suck. I feel GM is struggling with parts constraints as much as anyone. And their process of getting the cars on trucks is baffling. I hope yours gets moving soon enough!

You are only a little more than a month out of your car being built and some are showing up at dealers without the status being updated. Though your car might have a little wait for a part or something, at least it is not trapped in the middle of the lot that a lot of previous cars were. I understand the frustration and hopefully it will arrive soon.

Actually most of us don't actually know what or how long cars will be delayed.

4D00 used to be a transient QC hold
4B00 used to be based but missing a part that could be installed at the autoport.

Now 4D00 can be code for ran shy missing a module, (delayed) or ran shy missing some other part MP

Or 4B00 missing parts or based no transport, or bayed but surrounded by other cars or no update at all, because it's actually on the truck at the dealership.

In GMs mind how do you clear a vehicle that's based or MP that was actually already completed and shipped. You're allocating parts for WIP to a unit thats finished. Or vice versa You're calling an unfinished unit a completed.

I'm a Supply Chain guy so these are things I fix for a living. My frustration isn't with waiting on a car. I'm blessed to have one at least built to 99% of my spec, and have access to buy others immediately.

My frustration is being a professional in an area, hearing people give non answers to the issues, having the skills to implement fixes but not being able to do a thing about it. Trust me this has been a case study for all three SCM associations for the past year. ISM and APICS are both doing independent studies on GM and u just completed a white paper to be published by MCIPS on the issues Toyota is having.

It's not just GM, they're just not handling it as well as they could be despite having more clout. It affects me more as a customer, but as a CPIM I'm watching it thinking who's running this rodeo? Where are the rodeo clowns? We need the rodeo clowns to restore some order! Plus I want American companies to win ( call me a jangoist if you will, but prefer to think of it as a pro national economic stance).

Last edited:

From a Logistics professional, I couldn’t agree more.

Actually most of us don't actually know what or how long cars will be delayed.

4D00 used to be a transient QC hold
4B00 used to be based but missing a part that could be installed at the autoport.

Now 4D00 can be code for ran shy missing a module, (delayed) or ran shy missing some other part MP

Or 4B00 missing parts or based no transport, or bayed but surrounded by other cars or no update at all, because it's actually on the truck at the dealership.

In GMs mind how do you clear a vehicle that's based or MP that was actually already completed and shipped. You're allocating parts for WIP to a unit thats finished. Or vice versa You're calling an unfinished unit a completed.

I'm a Supply Chain guy so these are things I fix for a living. My frustration isn't with waiting on a car. I'm blessed to have one at least built to 99% of my spec, and have access to buy others immediately.

My frustration is being a professional in an area, hearing people give non answers to the issues, having the skills to implement fixes but being able to not a thing about it. Trust me this has been a case study for all three SCM associations for the past year. ISM and APICS are both doing independent studies on GM and u just completed a white paper to be published by MCIPS on the issues Toyota is having.

It's not just GM, they're just not handling it as well as they could be despite having more clout. It affects me more as a customer, but as a CPIM I'm watching it thinking who's running this rodeo? Where are the rodeo clowns? We need the rodeo clowns to restore some order! Plus I want American companies to win ( call me a jangoist if you will, but prefer to think of it as a pro national economic stance).
In this rodeo, the goats are in charge. 🐐 Hoping for better days.

Not for nothing....

As far as Jack Cooper....Many transport companies scrapped their older car carriers in the height of the pandemic. They were sitting, so they scrapped them hoping for new ones when things got better. Now, of course, they can't get new ones.

Ford just announced today their cost went up $1 billion in this quarter due to supply chain, etc. issues.

Some one at GM really needs to look at FIFO, and figure out why so many cars have been land locked. You don't keep burying cars on top of cars with no way to get to them. Look at the pickups that where stored in dirt lots that turned into mud lots and many of the truck started to rust. So much of this makes NO sense. Look at carbon....you can't get it, so don't offer the option. Some how NASCAR and Indy car can get carbon week after week to build race cars. The after market can get carbon.

I could go on and on, but........

Not for nothing....

As far as Jack Cooper....Many transport companies scrapped their older car carriers in the height of the pandemic. They were sitting, so they scrapped them hoping for new ones when things got better. Now, of course, they can't get new ones.

Ford just announced today their cost went up $1 billion in this quarter due to supply chain, etc. issues.

Some one at GM really needs to look at FIFO, and figure out why so many cars have been land locked. You don't keep burying cars on top of cars with no way to get to them. Look at the pickups that where stored in dirt lots that turned into mud lots and many of the truck started to rust. So much of this makes NO sense. Look at carbon....you can't get it, so don't offer the option. Some how NASCAR and Indy car can get carbon week after week to build race cars. The after market can get carbon.

I could go on and on, but........
Scrapping carriers during a lull is a profit-taking move not an operational move. Anyone who has run even a lemonade stand, knows that the setup/restarts are the most intensive periods. IF the whole WORLD was shutting down its chain, it makes no sense to scrap the current capacity for a supply of a currently broken chain, when the only true known was that demand would be spiked once operations resumed. So many companies cut employees and couldn't recover for the same reasons.

I saw the Times article on Ford's cost but it's double-speak for us in SCM. Cost are contractually set in most cases yearly and on many components multi years with fixed escalation well below inflation rates. The variable cost would be freight. They don't buy components one quarter at a time, they plan a vehicle for production this year, they designed and had supply chain in place a year or even two ago. They're getting hosed on labor and EV batteries which are up 8% and a combined 347% respectively (factories were shut down, and freight carriers won't transport these HAZMATs because A they are heavy and B take up a lot of space. More revenue carrying more lightweight stuff) Their revenue is down but they aren't adjusting earning forecast which means they are actually saying profitability is taking a hit so they wll need to cut FC (people) to maintain the same stock prices. That's not a supply chain issue, that's a board of directors' decision. Reduce your forecast, which will reduce demand which will drop the prices, and ease supply requests, you can't ship the cars anyway. Yes, your stock will drop but your company will survive. Nope,got to get those dividend payments out.

RIGHT, By now they should have the FIFO system in full gear, they've had to years to get it set up.

They can't get Carbon from the supplier they inked a deal to supply the carbon for the next 4 years worth of production. But carbon can be had. I advise all the time exclusive deals are bad for business, supplier spec's parts are bad for business. You need an A thru C tier supply base for everything. Supplier A gets 80% of the spend, B get 15% and C a little mom and pop, gets 5%. That way you have multiple streams of supply. You watch the quality control but you're almost never completely constrained. Otherwise, if supplier A is all you have then you can't build cars until you strike a deal with B who still has to ramp up to produce the parts. This is why they cant do edge red paint calipers now, only one supplier and it was the supplier's paint spec, not GM's. So now because you had only one Carbon supplier now you're having to ramp up new parts that are not on new cars. Supplier B and C are your peak demand suppliers. They can give you better pricing when volume requires, even though you pay more to ensure you always have parts during non peak periods. So it's NOT that there is a carbon shortage or even a Carbon supply chain issue, its a margin dilution issue, GM's low-cost supplier is having issues and they had no back up because they went with a single low-cost option. Now they'd have to either raise prices mid-year and buy from other suppliers with a delay as they ramp up losing margin the whole way, or hold margin and not provide it on the cars, just keep it as an unavailable option to keep the customers.

Stop calling it a supply chain issue, its a business decision. Yes they can't get as many parts as quickly as they want, but that is a constant condition. Boat sinks with all the chips is a supply chain issue, Promising more cars than there are chips or chip makers is a business decision.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back