Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Paint nub issues and panel misalignments

LS6-M22

Seasoned Member
Im bringing my car back to the dealership to see if they can rectify the issue with all these dirt specks in my base/clear coat. Does anyone have/had issues with their cars paint like this? Its a 100K+ car and needless to say Im very surprised this got through QC. My trunk lid is also way off.

Attachments

• aaaaa.jpeg
    aaaaa.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 108
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpeg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpeg
    953.2 KB · Views: 105
There are threads on here about that. Seems to be hit or miss w/ paint job; you're not alone.

clear coat... maybe something can be done about but if its in the base coat, what can they realistically do?

If it's in the base coat, I'd try to lemon the car but hold onto it until a replacement shows up.

I appreciate the input but I doubt I can nor would I lemon the car over these small paint defects. Im sure worst case scenario is they would want to repaint the hood. Im going in January 3rd to have the body shop give me their opinion. Also adjust my trunk
aaaa.jpg

Yeah, it depends on the laws in your state, but generally you're not going to get a lemon law buyback because of paint. They'll repaint the car first.

My car suffers from the same issue. I polished it myself, which has helped, but the trash is still in there. No getting it totally out without stripping it off and a repaint, and I'm not going there. Mostly because I don't think they'll do it, but also because I'm not sure it will end up any better and may end up worse, plus I'll end up with a repainted car, which can hurt resale. Not that I plan to ever sell it, but stuff happens.

I'm also disappointed that GM let this get out of the building like that, but to be fair, I've been spoiled by German cars for too long.

My car is full of paint defects and paint nibs. I had a bad one right on my gas cap that drove me nuts. My detail shop was able to carefully polish it down and it looks a million times better. There are more all around the car, but not as pronounced as that one was. I also have what appears to be a ding/paint defect in the passenger door paint, however, I don't trust anyone painting the radiant red tintcoat and matching so I am just going to live with it. It just isn't worth the hassle. I am going to drive it a bunch and it will inevitably get scratches and chips here and there.

If you leave it as is, that's the worst it will ever look. Depending on the shop, they may or may not make it look better. If you have confidence in their expertise, let them first wet sand and polish the original finish, before making the decision to have it repainted. You may also consider taking to a high end detail shop and let them do paint correction on it. They are better suited to polish the finish for maximum clarity and gloss, than the dealership's paint shop. No matter what you do, repainting should be your last option.

Glad to hear that repainting wasn't necessary. Enjoy!

I had the detailer at my Cadillac dealership wet sand the areas and its 90% better so I'm happy.
Surprised that the dealer took this on. I’m assuming they outsourced a pro detailer for this? Not saying the detailers at a dealership are incapable of wet sanding, but I think the detailers at a dealership are incapable of wet sanding. Doing it right would entail using a paint thickness meter and many many man hours.

Similar issue on my car as well with the dirt specks; particularly bad around the trunk area. It's bad enough that I'll have my detailer fix it regardless of the dealer reimbursing me or not. Definitely not letting them attempt to "fix" it.

Surprised that the dealer took this on. I’m assuming they outsourced a pro detailer for this? Not saying the detailers at a dealership are incapable of wet sanding, but I think the detailers at a dealership are incapable of wet sanding. Doing it right would entail using a paint thickness meter and many many man hours.
The guy who wet sanded it was the head body shop guy and a professional painter. Even better he was an OCD car guy and owned an immaculate 2019 pedestal edition CTSV so I knew my car was in good hands

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back