Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Oil Changes

FLYARMY

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
My ride just hit the 1000 mile mark. After it hits the 1500 mile mark, do you guys think I should do a "break in oil change" ? I have a Kia Telluride and "the book" calls for oil changes at 8500 miles. My engine guy who rebuilt my 67' Caddy engine told me that 8500 miles is ridiculous and oil should be changed at 5000 regardless if its synthetic. I just finished my longest ride of 150 miles round trip and averaged 26 mpg. When I drive local, I'm lucky if I get 12 mpg. At least now I know I can take the car for long cruise and can go over 300 miles between fill ups.

Attachments

• 20220824_085406.jpg
    20220824_085406.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 214
I had my first oil change done on my V3 at 1300 mi. The SA looked at me like "why are you doing this?" I don't think he knew it was a V3.

My ride just hit the 1000 mile mark. After it hits the 1500 mile mark, do you guys think I should do a "break in oil change" ? I have a Kia Telluride and "the book" calls for oil changes at 8500 miles. My engine guy who rebuilt my 67' Caddy engine told me that 8500 miles is ridiculous and oil should be changed at 5000 regardless if its synthetic. I just finished my longest ride of 150 miles round trip and averaged 26 mpg. When I drive local, I'm lucky if I get 12 mpg. At least now I know I can take the car for long cruise and can go over 300 miles between fill ups.

Nice f#$in house.

With my C7 Z06, the oil needed to be changed after the initial 500 mile break in period. I guess things have changed in the last couple of years...

With my C7 Z06, the oil needed to be changed after the initial 500 mile break in period. I guess things have changed in the last couple of years...
Every new car I’ve ever bought got it’s first change at 1000 or less. No chances on any debris floating around.

Doing my first service this Thursday at 900 miles plus/minus. Ck the stick and the level is good and the oil smells fine. However, gotta do it now. On the road for Labor Day holiday next week with the wifey and I'm pilling some extra 900 miles or so on the bird!
Bought it yesterday, changing the oil today (550 miles or so). Can't hurt, oil's cheap...

Bought it yesterday, changing the oil today (550 miles or so). Can't hurt, oil's cheap...
If you can share your experience with the "in house" oil change? Appreciated, we do alot of our own stuff around here turning wrenches with my boys. This is new (5BW) to me that said, what you can share helps me for sure and is greatly appreciated! Thanx.

Doing my first service this Thursday at 900 miles plus/minus. Ck the stick and the level is good and the oil smells fine. However, gotta do it now. On the road for Labor Day holiday next week with the wifey and I'm pilling some extra 900 miles or so on the bird!
:)

If you can share your experience with the "in house" oil change? Appreciated, we do alot of our own stuff around here turning wrenches with my boys. This is new (5BW) to me that said, what you can share helps me for sure and is greatly appreciated! Thanx.
I will never take a car to a dealership! A free oil change isn't worth it. Changing the oil and filter on these is straightforward.

Have you checked the price of Mobil 1 lately? And it takes 9 quarts. Anyway, I changed mine before 500 miles and lots of people poo pood the idea..."it's not the old days anymore." Well, you should have seen the chunks of metal (probably aluminum) that came out of the pan. Glad I did it.

Have you checked the price of Mobil 1 lately? And it takes 9 quarts. Anyway, I changed mine before 500 miles and lots of people poo pood the idea..."it's not the old days anymore." Well, you should have seen the chunks of metal (probably aluminum) that came out of the pan. Glad I did it.

What...chunks
Oh Come On GIF

When i would change the oil in my C7 Grand Sport I would visit the local Wally-World and buy some 0W-40 (2x5 qt jugs) and an M1-113A filter. All in, including a can of break cleaner and roll of paper towels, i was still under $75. Well worth it to me to change my own oil every 3,500 miles. Definitely more than my 2003 Focus that i put walmart special in and use a fram filter. That's about $22 total and i do it every 5-6k miles.

When i would change the oil in my C7 Grand Sport I would visit the local Wally-World and buy some 0W-40 (2x5 qt jugs) and an M1-113A filter. All in, including a can of break cleaner and roll of paper towels, i was still under $75. Well worth it to me to change my own oil every 3,500 miles. Definitely more than my 2003 Focus that i put walmart special in and use a fram filter. That's about $22 total and i do it every 5-6k miles.
Not to derail too much, but Mobil1 is now $10/quart and the ACDelco filters are $10. When Mobil changes the name of the 0W-40 from "ESP" to "Supercar" the price goes up to $12 because racecar.

Last edited:
You are right, it's straightforward as can be! I got my first good look under the car today. Easy.

Some tips for DIY. It's a 15mm socket for the drain plug.

Even with the pan totally emptied, when you take the filter off a bunch of oil pours around the filter. The filters that are horizontal I feel don't have this issue but the vertical ones seem to. So I got a ton of hot oil on my hand. Should have worn gloves here.

The oil filler is angled so you need one of those angled funnels or else it's a pain in the ass to fill it.

Other than that it was easy, no need to remove a bunch of panels like some cars. But also the underside of this car makes me never want to drive it in the winter here in New England, everything is exposed to the elements.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back