Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Media dumps

Where you are going to notice the performance improvement over the 4BW is at the higher speeds.
I'm biased towards the 4BW. But in Car and Driver's testing, the 5BW did the 5-60 rolling start acceleration run 1 full second faster than the 4BW. So the 4BW would be 88 feet behind the 5BW.

I'd would definitely notice that gap from behind the wheel of my 4BW.

From a dig the 4BW would be "only" 0.4 seconds and 35 feet behind. That's more than two car lengths. I'd probably notice that as well.

My thinking behind getting the 5BW is this.

I had a C5 z06 basically right out of college, bought it used in 2005 and still have it after 17 years. At the time it was supercar fast and was a ton of fun to drive. However I put 25,000 miles on it in 17 years. It wasn’t practical enough as a daily driver, so though I drove it a lot in the early years, through all kinds of conditions even light snow, it eventually became my weekend fun car only and not a daily driver.

I was happy having a fast fun car for weekends and a reasonably fun quick car as a daily driver, an Infiniti G37Xs sedan. I wanted to keep miles off the Z06 as values seemed to be creeping up on them.

However one of my coworkers died last year due to early onset cancer in his 50s, and then not long after a relative by marriage died of cancer in his 40s.

I realized that what is most limited in this world isn’t money, or miles a car can have before its value tanks, but rather it’s time. You can always make more money, or buy another car, but the number of drives you can take, even if it’s a daily slog on I95, are numbered. Every drive mile that I drive that isn’t in a car that absolutely thrills me is a moment and experience that I can never get back.

So that’s why I got the 5BW and I drive it daily for my 100 mile round trip commute. It’s probably the most living you can do while on the road in a daily practical car. They say you should live every day like it’s your last, in the Blackwing you can drive every mile like it’s the last. So yeah I probably open it up way more than I should, but I do it when it’s open and shut it down before speeds get too much.

Decades from now (hopefully) on my death bed, I don’t want to think, “man I wish I got that really fast one when I had the chance.” I want to have memories of when I was young and drove a 668 horsepower manual car to work every day, slamming through gears and listening to that V8 roar every morning to start the workday and every evening to come home.

So that’s why I got the 5BW and I drive it daily for my 100 mile round trip commute. It’s probably the most living you can do while on the road in a daily practical car. They say you should live every day like it’s your last, in the Blackwing you can drive every mile like it’s the last. So yeah I probably open it up way more than I should, but I do it when it’s open and shut it down before speeds get too much.

Decades from now (hopefully) on my death bed, I don’t want to think, “man I wish I got that really fast one when I had the chance.” I want to have memories of when I was young and drove a 668 horsepower manual car to work every day, slamming through gears and listening to that V8 roar every morning to start the workday and every evening to come home.
Could not agree more. I did buy and briefly enjoy a 4 Blackwing. Awesome car. And while I hoped I would love it enough to forget the 5 I had on order, I did not. Both great cars, and all owners have different needs. My opinion since day one has not changed; the most special car in this group is absolutely the CT5-V Blackwing 6MT. It's the one I have to own.

I'm biased towards the 4BW. But in Car and Driver's testing, the 5BW did the 5-60 rolling start acceleration run 1 full second faster than the 4BW. So the 4BW would be 88 feet behind the 5BW.

I'd would definitely notice that gap from behind the wheel of my 4BW.

From a dig the 4BW would be "only" 0.4 seconds and 35 feet behind. That's more than two car lengths. I'd probably notice that as well.
Sounds about right. The ZL1 I had was definitely a faster car but it didn't "feel" much faster than the 4BW except during the highway pulls when all the extra horsepower can be used to stretch its legs. On the street, the 4BW feels so much smaller and lighter than I expected. The shorter gearing gives you the torque multiplication you need to give you plenty of shove back in your seat. I own a Tesla as well. If torque is your thing, once you experience instant torque from a performance EV it makes ICE based torque curves feel archaic. Soon, EV minivans will be quicker to 60mph than our Blackwings. :)

I am one of those car enthusiasts going in the other direction from a power perspective. I drove the ZL1 for about 18 months. The raw power was intoxicating at first but I quickly realized I can barely use any of it. The limits of the car are so high, which left the car feeling numb when driving at 3/10ths.

I think the 5BW is better in this regard because even if you don't make of use all the performance it has to offer, it is still a great looking performance luxury sedan with few compromises. The Camaro ZL1 is different. You are making compromises, so the driving experience had better be fantastic all the time in order to justify owning it. If I had access to a track I think I would have enjoyed the ZL1 more but on the street it was mostly an exercise in restraint.

Decades from now (hopefully) on my death bed, I don’t want to think, “man I wish I got that really fast one when I had the chance.”

Way back in '98 I test drove a new Mustang Cobra, but went with a conservative choice and bought a new Maxima. I loved the Maxima. But I had an itch it did not scratch.

A couple of years later I came across a magazine picture showing an old dude sitting at a sidewalk cafe. He did not look happy. For some reason this picture resonated with me. I could imagine myself being that guy, as my life was winding down, and having regrets for opportunities I had not seized.

I cut the picture out, captioned it, and put it on my cubicle wall at work. A few years later I bought my first fast car, an '03 Evo VIII. And I never looked back.

Here is "The Old Man":

I realized that what is most limited in this world isn’t money, or miles a car can have before its value tanks, but rather it’s time.
Preach brother! I can't repeat this enough, time is the most valuable commodity we have. I'm planning (financially) to make it to 82, but I'm living like the future is uncertain. Some friends of mine forgo indulging in life and remain laser focused on retiring. I get that, but warm vacations in winter, fast cars, good meals, and hoarding motorcycles are a few things that will require me to work a few more years than them, but I enjoy the experiences a lot more now than I will when I'm 70.

Regarding my 5BW sledgehammer choice, it all comes from owning a Vsport and Chevy SS. Both are great cars but I was left with a desire for more power. The sensory input from the excess hits all the right feelers.

Could not agree more. I did buy and briefly enjoy a 4 Blackwing. Awesome car. And while I hoped I would love it enough to forget the 5 I had on order, I did not. Both great cars, and all owners have different needs. My opinion since day one has not changed; the most special car in this group is absolutely the CT5-V Blackwing 6MT. It's the one I have to ow
Well…I don’t really think of the CT4-V as a consolation prize car. It’s very good and stands on its own and quite frankly, it’s what I could afford reasonably - It’s MY “sledgehammer” and “scalpel” (and frankly I like the looks of the 4 a little more) so there’s that.

Not sure why comparisons continue for cars that are priced 30k apart. The cars are good enough to stand on their own for what they bring to the table

Last edited:
Well…I don’t really think of the CT4-V as a consolation prize car. It’s very good and stands on its own and quite frankly, it’s what I could afford reasonably - It’s MY “sledgehammer” and “scalpel” (and frankly I like the looks of the 4 a little more) so there’s that.

Not sure why comparisons continue for cars that are priced 30k apart. The cars are good enough to stand on their own for what they bring to the table
Nor do I think of the 4 as a consolation. I wish it ticked all boxes for me as I would be thrilled to save the 30k, but it does not. After owning the 4, I wanted the 5. I don't feel bad about it.

It's really all about use case. If you want or need the extra room 5 is your answer, if not the 4 is sized perfectly for those who would otherwise buy a two seater or a 2+2.

If you're looking for max power the 5 has you covered in a car that pushes you to your limits, if you're looking for a driving experience where you can enjoy the feel of pushing a car to its limits then the 4 is nearly as quick.

If you're serious about auto x or tracking the car the 4 will cost you less but if drags are your thing the 5 is near impossible to beat.

If your looking for the ultimate in performance there are cars that are better, if you're looking for the pinnacle of luxury there are cars that are more luxurious. If you're looking for the ultimate in technology there are cars that are more advanced. But having really given it an honest look, there aren't any other cars out there at the moment that manage to simultaneously deliver ALL of those things at the levels the Blackwings do. Especially not with a manual transmission AND the ease of accessibility.

And people ask why we made both.... year and some later still discussing which one is better and I am still giggling. Just stored my 4 and am in denial for a few months 😭😭😭😭😭

And people ask why we made both.... year and some later still discussing which one is better and I am still giggling. Just stored my 4 and am in denial for a few months 😭😭😭😭😭

This is by and far the best YouTube video I've ever watched. "want to see a Cadillac do a 180?" lol
At the end they concede the 4BW is the better daily and better suited for the track (Drive a "slow" car fast ideology). They also comment that despite being an upgrade from the ATS-V, would have been truly perfect with an NA V8.

But I am man enough to admit, that despite loving the 4BW, I wouldn't ever turn down a 5BW. @Tall Steve is doing it right with both.

Whenever my LF4 blows up, an LS3 is going in... :devilish:

If the 4BW came with a V8 it would have been legendary. Its sales would have dwarfed the 5BW. The vast majority of people don't want a big HP V8, they just want a V8. Give them 4 doors with actual track capability out of the box and a manual? Now you vehicle that practically doesn't exist and you're offering it at price quite that many more enthusiasts can afford. The LF4 may be the better engine overall but the V8 option would have provided a much more emotive and accolade generating vehicle.

Give them 4 doors with actual track capability out of the box and a manual?
That was the 2014-17 Chevy SS except it was a boat around the track. 4 Doors, stick shift, NA LS3, only downside was it was a bit too big (IMO) for track racing. Everyone in that community that I know does an LSA set up and takes them down the strip. The closest thing in size I can think of is a Pontiac G8 GTO. Both great platforms but long discontinued.

Do the V8 Chargers still get a 6-spd or has MOPAR moved to autos exclusively?

That was the 2014-17 Chevy SS except it was a boat around the track. 4 Doors, stick shift, NA LS3, only downside was it was a bit too big (IMO) for track racing. Everyone in that community that I know does an LSA set up and takes them down the strip. The closest thing in size I can think of is a Pontiac G8 GTO. Both great platforms but long discontinued.

Do the V8 Chargers still get a 6-spd or has MOPAR moved to autos exclusively?

All of the reasonably priced V8 over the last few years have been poor out the box track cars. In regards to Dodge, you can get a manual only on the Challenger and only on the R/T line. Everything else is autos now.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back