Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Media dumps

They've been doing this since Day 1, and it has never made sense.

No M3 review ever written has talked about how much better it would be with the M5 engine. They just talked about how much better the M3 was than everything else in its class (until the 4BW came along). Yet EVERY 4BW review mentions the 5BW.
It might be because GM is synonymous with the small-block V8, while BMW is similarly synonymous with its straight-6.

Totally makes sense for reviewers to do this: it’s because there's only two BWs.
There were only 2 M cars for a really long time too. Until bmw started throwing the m badge in everything that moves.

I think the bigger reason reviewers did this was they were launched together. GM should have staggered the launch.

Historically it feels like we never did and it's still just the two engines across the whole real M line. I6 and TTV8.
A quick search reveals that back in the day when there were just a few M models, Car and Driver similarly reviewed the M3 and M5 in light of each other:

Since an M car has always followed the introduction of a new 3-series, we awaited this latest M3 with nervous anticipation because the M3's big brother, the M5, although a technical triumph, had become complex to the point of creating an infuriating barrier between driver and machine.

A quick search reveals that back in the day when there were just a few M models, Car and Driver similarly reviewed the M3 and M5 in light of each other:

Since an M car has always followed the introduction of a new 3-series, we awaited this latest M3 with nervous anticipation because the M3's big brother, the M5, although a technical triumph, had become complex to the point of creating an infuriating barrier between driver and machine.

... which is an open acknowledgement that they're different classes of car.

Same thing when the G80 came out where they talk about how much lighter and more nimble the smaller car is.

This one is a true “dump” among media dumps:
Are these guys getting paid for this?
Hard to believe that this has anything to do with the original show.
What a stupid comparison.
Especially when the ct4 v blackwing exists and was available to budget replacement Jason camissa.

Yeah that was a crap review
I got the feeling they were, as we say in the UK, 'arsing about' instead of doing a proper review. Jethro has decent credentials as a journalist, can drive, and wrote a largely positive review of the 5BW in Evo magazine, although of course it just lost out to the M5 CS, because it's a European magazine. However, at no point was it said that the 5BW was worse than a base M3 :ROFLMAO:

The Hagerty videos definitely take some liberties for purposes of entertainment and making a story, but as others have said, in terms of journalism and presentation, Hagerty is annihilating Top Gear right now. They really should just let Top Gear die.

I got the feeling they were, as we say in the UK, 'arsing about' instead of doing a proper review. Jethro has decent credentials as a journalist, can drive, and wrote a largely positive review of the 5BW in Evo magazine, although of course it just lost out to the M5 CS, because it's a European magazine. However, at no point was it said that the 5BW was worse than a base M3 :ROFLMAO:

The Hagerty videos definitely take some liberties for purposes of entertainment and making a story, but as others have said, in terms of journalism and presentation, Hagerty is annihilating Top Gear right now. They really should just let Top Gear die.
Yeah he admitted it wasn't his best lap and to that comment that "the M3 (base) is a better track car" maybe true since it's lighter but it depends what "better" means I guess. He could have done a better job with the Blackwing

Yeah he admitted it wasn't his best lap and to that comment that "the M3 (base) is a better track car" maybe true since it's lighter but it depends what "better" means I guess. He could have done a better job with the Blackwing
100% not even trying. I think it was for entertainment value, to not show up the M3 too much (as there is no manual M5), and to play into existing prejudices.

Europeans tend to be a bit snooty when it comes to American cars, if the 5BW had been made by Jaguar you can bet it would have been declared the finest car in the history of the world :D

Disclaimer: I'm British.

I owned and tracked a 2023 M3 6MT with carbon buckets and traded it for a 4 Blackwing. Couldn't be happier.

What a stupid comparison.
Especially when the ct4 v blackwing exists and was available to budget replacement Jason camissa.
I think it was Jethro that reviewed the 4BW for Evo magazine and commented on the lack of steering feel (?). Every other review seemed to prefer the steering of the BW to the M3, so makes me wonder if it didn't have the track alignment or something. And yes, very weird they didn't include the 4BW.

LOL...not sure if it was actually a car video...but I love the car - some wheels eh? And i like how they shot vid from another car as they were driving. I skimmed through but i didn't actually hear them say anything about the car or its performance (could have missed it)...

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back