Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Media dumps

I talk a lot of crap, but I really do like my 5BW when I drive it because of the sound, raw torque, and power! It is very different from the 4BW and I would not want to daily drive it because of Dallas traffic but it is a true beast and turns goat sphincters every time I drive it.....
FTFY. Matches your avatar now.

Cammisa and DTS are unashamedly Euro guys, and the platonic ideal of "Euro Sports Sedan" isn't a brute V8 with torque for days that you short shift ... it's a light car with a creamy NA straight six, ideally with 250-350HP, where you're ripping through gears to a 7-8K redline.

Cammisa went on for minutes lamenting the lack of a small block V8 in the CT4 V blackwing, and how if it had one, it would be the best sports car on earth. They physically cringed while discussing how GM is the king of small blocks, calling the corvette motor the best V8 on the planet, and yet chose to follow some marketing decision to put a turbo V6 for the appearance of a premium product.

Last edited:
Cammisa went on for minutes lamenting the lack of a small block V8 in the CT4 V blackwing, and how if it had one, it would be the best sports car on earth. They physically cringed while discussing how GM is the king of small blocks, calling the corvette motor the best V8 on the planet, and yet chose to follow some marketing decision to put a turbo V6 for the appearance of a premium product.
it doesn't have a small block b/c a small block wouldn't fit. this has been discussed in other threads by people that work for GM. had nothing to do with marketing. you'd think Cammisa would know this or have been told this.

it doesn't have a small block b/c a small block wouldn't fit. this has been discussed in other threads by people that work for GM. had nothing to do with marketing. you'd think Cammisa would know this or have been told this.
It should've been designed to fit one from day one. Lexus fits the DOHC 5L V8 into the IS chassis, so it seems reasonable for them to design the CT4 to accommodate a V8. Putting a V8 into the engine bay of the ATS-V would've been *chef's kiss* (interior not withstanding).

That's the thing - when you're an auto journalist sometimes you fudge things a bit for the narrative. His point about the V8 in the 4BW is correct in a theoretical way.

Speaking of fudging things a bit - he's my favorite reviewer by far and I respect his opinion more than most - but I don't buy for a second that he thought he was talking about the M5 Comp and not the M5 CS in that Icons video. I'm sure there was a ton of blow-back from BMW fanboys* and that in conjunction with maybe driving the M5 more and seeing other reviews, he had to reconsider his take. But the narrative on the Icons video is better the way that it is.

* The internet nearly melted down when Matt Farah suggested a Fiesta ST was as fun to drive as an E46 and he is still defending himself on that one :LOL:

Last edited:
It should've been designed to fit one from day one. Lexus fits the DOHC 5L V8 into the IS chassis, so it seems reasonable for them to design the CT4 to accommodate a V8. Putting a V8 into the engine bay of the ATS-V would've been *chef's kiss* (interior not withstanding).
Not to mention a 6.2L V8 in the old C63!

A small block won't fit into the Alpha Chassis?

Selfish self promotion...

Not in that alpha chassis. It will fit in the ct5 alpha chassis so if you want a v8 buy that. GM isn’t going to spend a crapload of money completely redesigning and re-engineering a car to fit one engine used in a few thousand cars a year. Just in no way feasible.

GM isn’t going to spend a crapload of money completely redesigning and re-engineering a car to fit one engine used in a few thousand cars a year. Just in no way feasible.

Just like GM didn't spend a crapload of money designing a ground up DOHC twin turbo V8 for its flagship sedan only to kill it off only after 600 units... oh wait.

Just like GM didn't spend a crapload of money designing a ground up DOHC twin turbo V8 for its flagship sedan only to kill it off only after 600 units... oh wait.
The CT6 was a victim of failed negotiations with the UAW. GM wanted to continue building it, but it became economically unfeasible. They continue to build them in China.

The manual does not have a 4500 RPM limiter. They do advise you don't exceed that, but it does not stop you from doing so.
Its not a hard limiter, I know you can easily exceed it. But its visualized on the gauge and goes away at 500 miles. I don't have to honor it, I know. But Its there for a reason so I am going to be a good boy. I am 300 miles in. It'll happen by the end of this weekend.

Its not a hard limiter, I know you can easily exceed it. But its visualized on the gauge and goes away at 500 miles. I don't have to honor it, I know. But Its there for a reason so I am going to be a good boy. I am 300 miles in. It'll happen by the end of this weekend.
Have you by chance been watching your boost pressures? I need more 4BW owners to chime in on if they saw gradually increasing boost limits during their break-in period lol

Have you by chance been watching your boost pressures? I need more 4BW owners to chime in on if they saw gradually increasing boost limits during their break-in period lol
Haven't looked yet. More focused on being a good boy. Though I played with TC/PTM yesterday and had the liquified tire strewn across the car to prove it.

The plan was never for that engine to power 800 cars (not 600). Great article about what actually happened here Why Cadillac Killed Its Incredible Blackwing V-8 Engine
Re-engineering an entire car for 1 motor that would be low production is not something that is gonna be purposely done

The plan was never for that engine to power 800 cars (not 600). Great article about what actually happened here Why Cadillac Killed Its Incredible Blackwing V-8 Engine
Re-engineering an entire car for 1 motor that would be low production is not something that is gonna be purposely done
And btw it wasn’t just that engine but the entire omega platform where there were issues and things that went radically different versus what was originally planned

It wasn’t that it wouldn’t fit, it was about how it fit. The TTV6 is a more compact motor and sits much lower than the LT1. It fit better for what they wanted it to do. I’ve read this multiple times and Mirza on here can probably confirm it but I forgot his forum name on here.

It's not in English but it's the first time I've seen a tested top speed for the blackwing. 208.7mph with the auto.

Also interesting the blackwing does actually outrun the M5 CS up top, with respect to 0 to 300kph and 0 to 1000m times.

Also the Maserati makes an impressive showing despite having the least HP on paper by far. The AMG outruns everything until it runs into its limiter. The hellcat redeye gets outrun in overall measures by the blackwing, but does best it in 200 to 300kph runs, I guess 800hp is 800hp.

From 100kph to 200kph the blackwing is outrunning everything but the Alpina.

The blackwing runs nearly into wall at 300kph and starts accelerating quite slowly, I bet that's when the 10 speed hits an overdrive gear, however up until 300kph it's ahead of everything but the AMG.

Now we just gotta find out what the manual 5 BW top speed is so I don't feel so tempted to find out myself...

Last edited:
It wasn’t that it wouldn’t fit, it was about how it fit. The TTV6 is a more compact motor and sits much lower than the LT1. It fit better for what they wanted it to do. I’ve read this multiple times and Mirza on here can probably confirm it but I forgot his forum name on here.
It’s on page 19 of this very thread
Its simple really, it was the better engine for the car and which is why its in the car. The camaro with LT1 has same underhood as the CT5, CT4 is way smaller and a small block just doesnt fit to OEM requirements. Open up the hood and also note how tucked that LF4 is and its behind the front axle. The LF4 is truly a marvel and one reason why I bought the car too, I personally love that engine and it makes more power than the LT1 and is lighter (and costs a lot more so it wasnt a cost play). I own a few small block cars and my CT4 doesnt make me ever wish it had one. I needed some turbos in my life 🤣

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back