Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Leather vs Microfiber Steering Wheel and Shift Knob?

Ergoc5

Seasoned Member
I have the microfiber wheel and shift knob in my order, but thinking of switching to leather. Anyone order with microfiber or had previous experience? I had a micro fiber on my Gen 2 V (lease) and it felt nice and grippy, but it tended to wear (especially steering wheel) over time. I tried to keep it fresh by wiping down with micro fiber cloth (damp) but it still had areas of wear. Any difference with the newer cars? I know the C7 and C8 vettes had this option too.

My GT3 has microfiber. Great for track, suboptimal for street. You’re always paranoid about whether there’s dirt on your hands or what not. No matter how good you take care of it and ends up looking dingy after a few months till you have it professionally conditioned again.

I went with the leather wheel & shifter for my Blackwing.

Can you get upgraded seats without suede? On the online configurator at least the two look like they're tied together

suede specifically on the wheel and shifter is its own option.

Attachments

• 3966DF01-4522-42BC-847D-97E68DE02398.jpeg
    3966DF01-4522-42BC-847D-97E68DE02398.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 108
Slightly off topic, but the 4 higher end seats also have the suede back. Any advice on how to maintain that?

As others said, I didn’t want it on high contact areas. Or having to wear gloves when driving (like one of my friends did in his Camaro). Even some brand new deliveries had me happy with the choice

I have the microfiber wheel and shifter on my ATS V, 26k miles with zeros complaints. Might be more of an issue with wear on manual cars.

1630444935317.png

You can see it here in the back of the front seats. The 5BWs have carbon fiber, the 4s get the suede. I opted for this. I've got a 6 year old that's going to kick the sh!t out of it.

View attachment 4533

You can see it here in the back of the front seats. The 5BWs have carbon fiber, the 4s get the suede. I opted for this. I've got a 6 year old that's going to kick the sh!t out of it.

You gotta brush up on that backhand. Helped keep my kids straight as an arrow in the backseat !

Here are my thoughts on the subject through my experience of driving Corvettes with both and years of detailing and showing my 1990 ZR-1....

I love Alcantara. I can't vouch for it's long term durability, but I love it when driving a Corvette equipped with it.

Leather (real leather) is cured cow hide. It breaks down over time unless you care for it. The salts in your body sweat be it hand or any other body part, will gradually break down leather unless you take care of it.

That's one of the reasons why leather gun holsters are not recommend for everyday conceal and carry. They break down with exposed contact to skin.

If you go with leather, I suggest using Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

Thanks Rob...yeah that's what I have been hearing on some of the vette forums. The more exposed the leather is to finger oils, the shinier it gets (more cruddy but you don't see it). Hard decision with this and the wheels. Sorry I know these are first world problems with everything else going on.

Reactions: Rob
Thanks Rob...yeah that's what I have been hearing on some of the vette forums. The more exposed the leather is to finger oils, the shinier it gets (more cruddy but you don't see it). Hard decision with this and the wheels. Sorry I know these are first world problems with everything else going on.
Many...many years ago, a Corvette Engineer once told me that you should never rest your hand on the leather stick shift in a Corvette. Years of doing that will breakdown the leather by the sweat in your hand. I've never forgotten about that.

Unfortunately, I can't drive a manual without keeping my hand on the stick shift. It just feels natural and it's how I've always driven a manual since I was a wee lad getting my driver's license...a few years ago... 🤣

Personally I think in high end sports cars, the steering wheel and shifter should always be alcantara. I love it. Had it in my 1le and have it in my BW. Haven’t had it for a long period but I am sure it will take more maintenance but I am perfectly fine with that. To each their own, but it is worth it IMO

Slightly off topic, but the 4 higher end seats also have the suede back. Any advice on how to maintain that?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back