Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V How to remove trunk liner to access battery to install battery tender leads?

CT5-V Model

thefleshrocket

I plan to install a battery tender in my 5BW. The negative terminal is easily accessible; the positive terminal is under a cover that can't be removed unless the trunk liner is removed. Before I start removing push-pins and yanking on things, I figured I'd ask if there was a how-to for removing the trunk liner? I have come up empty handed Googling.

FYI, there are terminals under the hood should you choose to go that route.

FYI, there are terminals under the hood should you choose to go that route.

The last time I parked my 5BW for a month, I used alligator clips on the two big leads under the hood, so I get that it can be done that way. But I prefer having a permanently-installed little dongle that I can easily plug a battery tender into. And I'd rather have pigtail coming out from the trunk rather from under the hood.

The last time I parked my 5BW for a month, I used alligator clips on the two big leads under the hood, so I get that it can be done that way. But I prefer having a permanently-installed little dongle that I can easily plug a battery tender into. And I'd rather have pigtail coming out from the trunk rather from under the hood.
On my ZLE, I permanently installed it under the hood with an extension run so that I can access it through one of the openings in the front and never have to open up the hood.

There are four pushpins along the edge of the panel at the left side of the trunk. The pushpins are an absolute bear to get out, as far as pushpins go--I used a standard pry tool but all it did was bend the little metal tabs that the pushpins went into. I dug out my plier-style pushpin removal tool and that did the trick. https://www.amazon.com/Fastener-Automotive-Upholstery-Dashboard-Fasteners/dp/B0CBYLBYXM/

After removing the pushpins, I just peeled the cover out of the way enough to get access to the side of the battery with the cover over the positive terminals. Then it was just attaching the two eyelets to positive and negative terminals on the battery, and putting everything back in place.

On my ZLE, I permanently installed it under the hood with an extension run so that I can access it through one of the openings in the front and never have to open up the hood.
This. I did the a similar thing on my Shelby. Attach the plug and play extension that should come w the tender to the battery under the hood. It has ring terminals and about 6” of working. When I didn’t plan to drive the car for more than a week I would pop the hood, plug in the extension and rest the hood on the stops.

Don’t make it harder than it should be.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners