Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Girodisc Rotors - any takers?

Mbar

Seasoned Member
Hi everybody,
I've been in touch with a Girodisc rep regarding development of front rotors for the 4BW. For those of you that don't know Girodisc manufactures in the USA top notch 2 piece rotors for track (and street) use. Usually you will see some weight savings over stock rotors + their metal and cooling technology is way better than stock (IMHO).
In order to get the ball rolling, I would need to find at least 5 more people interested / willing to commit to purchase. Their rotor prices run at a similar price to stock replacment.
Any takers?

Thanks

Aren't the stock rotors 2-piece Brembos suitable for the track? (They are on the 5BW and my prior V3 CTS-V and I had assumed they were the same brakes on the 4BW??) Is Girodisc significantly lighter? (Are these the unit I read about years back that were about half the thickness of typical rotors for weight savings at the expense of longevity??)

All very good questions. I sent them to the rep. I’ll try to answer based on my experience : the weight savings for the 4BW won’t be so big, my guess 1-2 lb per corner. I’m waiting to get the confirmed data of how much saving the 1LE Camaro got.
Yes, stock rotors are suitable for track use. It’s all about how much life we are going to get out of them. Based on my experience with my Audi RS3 ( very nose heavy tuned 500 HP) , the Girodisc metallurgy was more heat resistant, BUT the real secret is better cooling due to superior design. These rotors are also slotted , which could help you with pad material ( especially stock) crumbling and scraping your disc ( happened to me at the track with the 4BW).
Brakes are always a subjective topic. We all drive at different level, speed and track. Bottom line is that Girodisc is a major player in the aftermarket track rotors and used by Porsche , Corvette and Camaro cars.
I’ll be happy if other members could share their experience with their product.

Here is the response I got from their rep:

Based on the rotor weights I’m finding online and knowing what pad the 380x34mm front rotor uses, I can make an educated guess that we will be able to pull 3-4 lbs out of each front rotor. The rear rotor is proving a bit more difficult – we don’t really have an analogous 340x28mm rotor with a similar pad height. Given that the literature I’m seeing says it’s a 1-piece rotor, we should be able to lighten those rotors by a fair bit going to a 2-piece aluminum hat design.

It’s hard to make specific claims about metallurgy and cooling without analyzing the factory rotors or running actual tests, so I will stick to the general statements we know to be true based on our experience. Our high-carbon metallurgy is tweaked to our specs and poured for us specifically by a casting foundry in the Midwest, and we generally see longevity and temperature-resistance improve over factory rotors. The directional curved vanes also promote cooling the hub and rotor ring by pulling air through the center of the rotor and pumping it out. This results in a more efficient design that raises the thermal ceiling of the system you already have on the car.”

Can you ask them about iron replacement discs for 5BW CCBs?
Bad idea. The magride is specifically tuned for the CCB. Changing the rotors to much heavier steel will throw that off

I could reduce weight in my BW's and I guess the corners too, by stop eating donuts...... No offense guys, but I don't understand the obsession with weight savings and getting rid of tested/proven OEM parts.... I guess if you guys were professional race drivers and .001 seconds counted I could understand... Oh well, forgive me..

I could care less about the weight savings. But IF I can get 50% more track life it’s all worth it.

Bad idea. The magride is specifically tuned for the CCB. Changing the rotors to much heavier steel will throw that off
I get it but with CCBs at nearly $6k each retail I can’t afford to track them any more than I have. I could swap pads and rotors for track duty and then put the CCBs back for street use.

The way it works for people I generally talk to at the track is the other direction. They buy cheaper rotors so they can buy more of them as the total cost is cheaper. Giro runs about $1100 shipped for c8 and $1200 shipped for Zl1 fronts. Where as you can buy generics for $500-600.

However, in our case there isn't a lot of options and the Giro may actually save you money. Rockauto did have our front rotor set at about $850 shipped but it looks like the front right disc is out of stock. Assuming it comes back in at the same price then anything over $1200ish base price on the Giro isn't netting you savings. That's also assuming the Giro can net a true 50% increase in rotor life.

I get it but with CCBs at nearly $6k each retail I can’t afford to track them any more than I have. I could swap pads and rotors for track duty and then put the CCBs back for street use.
Prices are already dropping. Looked this week and they were $2.8k/ea.

At that price point, to me, it becomes a durability question. How long will they last if tracked?

Got a link?
I’m out on a trip now…it was one of the gmparts sites.

gmpartsdirect has them for $3.3k. I made a spreadsheet, but left it on my PC desktop.
I also saw gmpartsdirect has the pads down to $300.

I'd be more interested in replacement pads that don't generate the dust that OEM pads do.
Searched quite a bit a few weeks ago to no avail.

I'd be more interested in replacement pads that don't generate the dust that OEM pads do.
Searched quite a bit a few weeks ago to no avail.
here to post this^^^
The brake dust is out of control even with ceramic'ed wheels and calipers.

I have found the best way to control brake dust on my 5BW, and that is to not drive it much and when you do do not use the brakes often.... Works like a charm!

I have found the best way to control brake dust on my 5BW, and that is to not drive it much and when you do do not use the brakes often.... Works like a charm!
I have actually plotted drives with more highway that rural roads to prevent excessive brake use:bu

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back