Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Front Plate Paranoia

So many people here mention running through car washes... I guess I'm in the minority that will never run any of my cars through a car wash and only hand wash, so no worry there. My Sly Brackets has enough room behind to hand wash, no problem.

I have the Sto n Sho on my 2016 Z06 and have to say no issues to date, great product! In that application, it looked and fit great. That car has the much hated 7sp tranny, so no extra trans cooler up front. At the time, they had not offered for the CT5VB.

I used Sly Brackets this time on my CT5VB as I wanted the plate to sit as close to where the factory designed & tested the plate mounting to be for the car. The mount is solid and great quality. I figure the Engineers/Designers got the front plate location figured out and so far, zero issues on my car, even with streak of 100F+ temps & 113F this past Sunday. Coupled with the extra heat from the auto tranny cooler up front, my car performed perfectly and temps were running very close to the same.
I hand wash my car a lot of the time and I still like to take the front plate off. It makes it easier to clean the grill/bumper/splitter etc.

I’ve been on a lot of forums of different brands and I’ve never heard of a license plate placement/mount causing a car to overheat, even on the track.

I’ve been on a lot of forums of different brands and I’ve never heard of a license plate placement/mount causing a car to overheat, even on the track.
Same here on the forums and my wife hated me for it as it meant another new car 😂.

The one that overheated naturally was the C7Z06 on the track regardless of tranny and after claimed to be a track ready car. No plate necessary 😂.

My main point is that too many worry about a non issue to begin with when the car was designed for it to meet certain State requirements. I’ll always put one on to prevent it being an excuse to get pulled over regardless even if others have been lucky. My car looks good to me with it mounted where I have it, basically where it was design to be mounted from the factory. 🍻

Same here on the forums and my wife hated me for it as it meant another new car 😂.

The one that overheated naturally was the C7Z06 on the track regardless of tranny and after claimed to be a track ready car. No plate necessary 😂.

My main point is that too many worry about a non issue to begin with when the car was designed for it to meet certain State requirements. I’ll always put one on to prevent it being an excuse to get pulled over regardless even if others have been lucky. My car looks good to me with it mounted where I have it, basically where it was design to be mounted from the factory. 🍻
Front plate runner here too (NJ...).

It's not getting the ticket itself, but the time I would spend on the side of the road waiting for the ticket that would drive me nuts. I would happily just pay the fine, but absolutely hate being late to things.

Agreed, sorry, might’ve misread or read too much into your previous post.

I felt bad for those C7Z06 owners, what a friggen debacle, not one of GM’s finest moments.

NJ driver here. I rarely get pulled over if ever for no front plate. My dealer was smart enough to not install it and leave me with the option. From what I found front tints, unsafe driving, and a loud car especially will get you harassed by police. I've only ever gotten one ticket from no front plate on my FR-S and that was 10 years ago on my way to work.

I also have a Sto-N-Sho for my Lotus. I absolutely love it but from when I purchased the car last year I don't know if they made a version for the 4BW. Actually I just checked and it looks like they make one for the non CF splitter so I could use one. The downside of the Sto-N-Sho for my Lotus is that it's easier to scrape if you hit a steep ground pitch and when you do, the mechanism that locks the plate becomes jammed and you can't remove it. It's very easy to scrape especially on low sports cars. I eventually fixed it by removing the entire mount and bending the bars back into place but from what I remember it was a very difficult problem to diagnose even when under the car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back