Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Finally: CT5-V Blackwing Reproduction Spoilers

CT5-V Model
Hey guys, I’m gearing up to put some holes in my deck lid, but wanted some final thoughts before doing so. First, what’s the best approach in knowing exactly where to put the holes? Also, I saw someone mention retainer clips being a possible solution for the tight access. Is that a good approach or should I just make the regular bolt on happen?

Lastly, and not necessarily anything to do with this process, but did GM add extra holes to my trunk 🤔? I thought I’ve seen photos of two holes on each side of the center hole, I’m rocking three on each side.
C72F43FE-B613-4CFB-9B7D-E24CED83D29C.jpeg

There are 5 holes and 2 slots on a non-CF1 5BW. Post #263 has a PDF of the OEM install procedure. The two outer holes are the ones that need to be drilled.

If I was doing mine again, I’d 100% go with the OEM retainer clips for the outer holes. You have to drill a larger hole, but you will save yourself the practical impossibility of access to the outer bolts.

I watched a couple of spoiler installs on YouTube (one was a Mustang) for techniques to accurately locate the holes.

Do you have a part # for the retainer clips by any chance?

Do you have a part # for the retainer clips by any chance?
See post #268. But I’m not certain that anyone has verified that the thread size of the repro spoiler is the same as the OEM. The clips are inexpensive enough that it’s worth getting a couple to check it out. But obviously you want to do that before you drill the 15 mm holes.

I highly recommend using a step bit for the 15mm holes. The one I used was a Milwaukee PG7-PG21.

Last edited:
If I was doing mine again, I’d 100% go with the OEM retainer clips for the outer holes. You have to drill a larger hole, but you will save yourself the practical impossibility of access to the outer bolts.

I watched a couple of spoiler installs on YouTube (one was a Mustang) for techniques to accurately locate the holes.
Thanks for the advice. I found the Mustang install, YouTube is the best.

I have been starting to research this more too, I have had my spoiler for awhile. Finally called some places to see about how much it would cost to just get it installed that way I wouldn't have to deal with any frustration myself. 2 of them refused to even do it without templates or at least some measurements. Other one never got back to me, so looks like I am going to have to just do it myself.

Last edited:
I have been starting to research this more too, I have had my spoiler for awhile. Finally called some places to see about how much it would cost to just get it installed that way I wouldn't have to deal with any frustration myself. 2 of them refused to even do it without templates or at least some measurements. Other one next got back to me, so looks like I am going to have to just do it myself.
Were you calling body shops or performance shops?

Were you calling body shops or performance shops?
2 were performance, but only 1 of those got back to me. Other was body shop. Honestly I was a bit surprised, maybe I should call around to a few other places, but I was trying to stick with places with the best reviews on Google.

I'm with you - I don't want to do the install myself so planning to call a few body shops to see how much they will charge (if they'll even do it.).

Just my 2 cents but with the right tools this is much easier than you’re all making it to appear. The only hard thing is to reach the last nut as everyone has said. Keep things neat and clean. Get a magnet if you drop the nut in. Otherwise mine just fell out into the trunk eventually just driving.
IMG_8749.jpeg

Agreed, it’s a difficulty level of 2 at most. The only time I’ve ever made big mistakes was when I rushed. You can buy a piece of sheet metal to practice on if you’re concerned about drilling. I did this when I was first learning about installing rivnuts. I trust myself more than any tech to do this correctly. Whenever I start some new project I remind myself of what is the worst thing that can happen, followed by that worst case outcome is fixable. - It’s only money. It’s not like I’m doing heart surgery on my dog.

Don’t forget to coat the drilled holes with a rust preventer like Rust Bullet. I applied 3 coats, waiting 4 hours in between. I also recommend getting the plastic clips. Although mine was OEM, I have seen the lack of access to those outer threads. There is a reason they used clips instead of nuts.

Last edited:
Happy to report I’ve gotten about 30 of the spoilers built and delivered so far. Shooting to have almost all orders fulfilled by Memorial Day.
Do you have line of sight on when you'll start fulfilling online orders, or have you already started?

Hey guys, I’m gearing up to put some holes in my deck lid, but wanted some final thoughts before doing so. First, what’s the best approach in knowing exactly where to put the holes? Also, I saw someone mention retainer clips being a possible solution for the tight access. Is that a good approach or should I just make the regular bolt on happen?

Lastly, and not necessarily anything to do with this process, but did GM add extra holes to my trunk 🤔? I thought I’ve seen photos of two holes on each side of the center hole, I’m rocking three on each side.View attachment 19231
This is really easy. The spoiler locates into the existing holes on the trunk. The outer two studs will land exactly where you need to drill. No template needed.
I have been starting to research this more too, I have had my spoiler for awhile. Finally called some places to see about how much it would cost to just get it installed that way I wouldn't have to deal with any frustration myself. 2 of them refused to even do it without templates or at least some measurements. Other one never got back to me, so looks like I am going to have to just do it myself.
This is a very easy install since you already have 4 of 6 holes in the trunk. You cant mess it up.
I'm with you - I don't want to do the install myself so planning to call a few body shops to see how much they will charge (if they'll even do it.).
Trust me, its very easy.
Do you have line of sight on when you'll start fulfilling online orders, or have you already started?
I already have brother. By the end of this month I should be all caught up.

This is really easy. The spoiler locates into the existing holes on the trunk. The outer two studs will land exactly where you need to drill. No template needed.

This is a very easy install since you already have 4 of 6 holes in the trunk. You cant mess it up.

Trust me, its very easy.

I already have brother. By the end of this month I should be all caught up.
Cool, thanks for the update, I'll be in line for your splitters as well, thanks for all you're doing.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back