Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Exhaust tone/Electric?

DonD

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
Many on this forum I suspect know that you can adjust the exhaust note.

My question (4BW) is the system merely piping in sound into the cabin or is it making physical changes to the exhaust through valving? Don

It is making physical changes. There is no sound being electrically “piped” into the speakers.

It is making physical changes. There is no sound being electrically “piped” into the speakers.
So, it restricts exhaust flow? If so, wonder how much is lost if you keep the exhaust note well below the noisiest setting? Don

So, it restricts exhaust flow? If so, wonder how much is lost if you keep the exhaust note well below the noisiest setting? Don
that’s been discussed elsewhere and the answer is hardly any loss in HP.

There actually is some. At least on the 5BW

Do you have some reference or proof on that? I haven’t driven a 5, but on the 4, everything is much louder and more aggressive outside the car, there is nothing happening on the speakers. I have been shocked the few times I’ve gotten the windows down with some wall or other reflecting effect so I can actually hear the car. It’s much louder than I thought just from existing inside the car.

Do you have some reference or proof on that? I haven’t driven a 5, but on the 4, everything is much louder and more aggressive outside the car, there is nothing happening on the speakers. I have been shocked the few times I’ve gotten the windows down with some wall or other reflecting effect so I can actually hear the car. It’s much louder than I thought just from existing inside the car.

Post in thread 'Getting Rid of Fake Engine Noise' CT5-V - Getting Rid of Fake Engine Noise

We had a whole discussion on it. Apparently if you pull the fuse for the system it's sadly even quieter inside the car.

The 4BW likely has the same as many reviews mention it. They prob got that info from the press day presentations.

Last edited:
Post in thread 'Getting Rid of Fake Engine Noise' CT5-V - Getting Rid of Fake Engine Noise

We had a whole discussion on it. Apparently if you pull the fuse for the system it's sadly even quieter inside the car.

The 4BW likely has the same as many reviews mention it. They prob got that info from the press day presentations.

Interesting to say the least. I’ll be honest though, I am unconvinced by that thread. From what I could see, only three people actually tried pulling that fuse and one of those reported no changes. I think there is some placebo effect happening.

Interesting to say the least. I’ll be honest though, I am unconvinced by that thread. From what I could see, only three people actually tried pulling that fuse and one of those reported no changes. I think there is some placebo effect happening.

On my 5BW I tried listening for something through the speakers as I had my friend drive the car while I sat in the backseat and I heard zip, nada. I know the car is really muted when windows are up but goddamn does it sound good when I crack the windows down or stand outside.

In addition to that thread, I believe SavageGeese mentioned there is piped in engine noise in one of their reviews of the car. And those guys always get into the weeds with the details and engineering behind the cars they have.

If there wasn't any engine noise coming through the speakers I would be shocked. Every performance car does it these days; AMGs, M cars, Mustangs, even Porsche. Sometimes it's because of exhaust noise regulations particularly in Europe, and others it's just because the soundproofing in a luxury car is so good that if they didn't give you a little noise through the speakers you'd hear nothing.

That's not to say the noise is synthetic, often there's a mic that picks up the actual engine noise and pumps a bit of it through the speakers. But if there was absolutely zero enhancement I'd be very surprised.

The different settings also change the fuel program along with the exhaust muffler valves. We eliminated the valves and removed the stock muffler and replaced it with race mufflers. So with the exhaust valves totally out of the equation it sounds different in the different settings. The most noticeable difference is on the deceleration pops. On tour it completely goes away, but on race it is very noticeable. Remember the valves are not in line anymore, so it must be the fuel program or ignition program make the pops.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back