Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Engine failure

CT5-V Model

AACaptRet

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2016 Cadillac ATS-V
Note to all. On 2/28/23 the engine in my 2022 CT5V Blackwing failed. It was trucked to the dealership, Sewell Cadillac of Dallas.

FYI. I just got this from the Sewell service manager:

“Mr. Shanks,

It appears that we may have an internal engine failure. Which explains why it just died with no warning. We will have to do a tear down on the engine to see exactly what is going on and needs to be replaced. We will not be able to have it fully torn down till until the middle part of next week. When we drained the oil there was bearing material in the oil. I will give you an update next week once it is torn down. Do we need to get a loan car out to you in the mean time?

Thank you,
David Boyd | Service Manager”

Oh, crap. Sorry that happened to you. That’s awful. You were driving it when the engine failed I assume?

Yes. Fortunately there was a roadside stop and I coasted into it. It was weird. No lights, bells or anything. It just quit. My first clue was that it was slowing down. I thought the cruise control had kicked off. When I pushed the accelerator, nothing happened. That was when I knew the engine had died. After I stopped, I got an email from the car saying the battery was dead. Ironic.
I will keep the blog informed.

Oh. The oil was factory oil. Not enough miles for the first oil change.

As to who built it, beats me. His name is on the engine and I’m certain Cadillac will want to talk to him or her. I think what will happen is that Cadillac will put a new engine in a crate and send it to Dallas. Stay tuned.

I think you all grossly overestimate what the name implies on the plaque. The builders scan tolerances for parts and screw things down when building the engine. If the engine failed, it isn't the builders fault, its a bad part. GM has checks every step of the way so the builder can't screw it up.

Its done for marketing so we can say we have a "custom built engine" like we're some kind of fancy customers but the realities are we are not.

Don't blame the builder, blame the Covid manufacturing resulting in sub par parts getting to the factory.

Man, I am sorry to hear it. Best of luck getting this fixed ASAP.

WOW, sucks to read this! Hopefully they figure this out ASAP! Interesting how no codes, etc., popped up...

Automatic. Re the “builder”. I am certain you are correct. All I know is what I read/heard. It doesn’t matter to me. Someone or some group, built it. My only concern is that Cadillac will ship a fresh engine to Dallas. The reason I posted this tale is to give a heads up to other BW owners. I have found that no matter how strange is the event, I am usually not the only person who has or will have the problem.

Automatic. Re the “builder”. I am certain you are correct. All I know is what I read/heard. It doesn’t matter to me. Someone or some group, built it. My only concern is that Cadillac will ship a fresh engine to Dallas. The reason I posted this tale is to give a heads up to other BW owners. I have found that no matter how strange is the event, I am usually not the only person who has or will have the problem.
Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately you are not alone as there have been at least two others on this forum and the one that Car and Driver posted. It is strange, there are a lot more ZL1 and Z06s and you never really hear about those LT4s having major failures so there must be something going on with the 5BW builds, parts, etc.

They must, and I believe will make this right!....5200 miles and a meltdown on a 5BW LT4 catches everyone's attention with an interest in her!!!... please keep us posted Captain on your progress.... "Pain" in the grief I'm guessing, before regaining LOST pleasure now as far as getting her back and the wait and see, miles and smiles ahead Im hoping! Best of luck Cap!

So I was correct. I am NOT the first person who has this problem. Thank you for that information. I will continue to post updates as I get them.

PrimeTime. Thanks for your thoughts. I am beyond getting emotionally involved with this. It’s a machine. A very nice machine, but still a machine. Sewell Cadillac has a well deserved reputation for superior customer service. I am confident they will do the right thing. It’s Cadillac’s dime after all. Stay tuned.

So I was correct. I am NOT the first person who has this problem. Thank you for that information. I will continue to post updates as I get them.
In case you missed this one.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners