Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Dealer Tech Didnt Realize I have PDR

Blackwing16

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
So I just took my CT4-V Blackwing to the dealership to get a piece of carbon fiber replaced because it had some factory defects in it. I’ve got my PDR set to auto record. The tech who replaced the carbon fiber is on video trying to activate launch control for roughly 8 minutes and then revving the car some during that time to see if it’s active. He eventually gave up as he couldn’t figure it out. My question for everyone on this forum is this. How should I handle this situation? I plan to go talk to the manager on Friday. What could I expect from the conversation? I want to be able to trust the service department at the dealership and not worry about things like this. This is really ruining the dealership for me.

You would hope in the DFW the dealerships would be big enough they've seen enough high-end cars their techs wouldn't need to act like a kid touching his first girl bits.
YMMV and your tolerance for BS may be higher, but I'm telling the guy I'm taking my business elsewhere and if he wants to watch the video to see why he's more than welcome to.

If he makes a genuine effort (however you want to measure that personally) to understand the situation and offer up a remedy, then I'd give them a second chance.
If the manager and whatever 'solution' you come to is anything less than 5* awesome, then I'm never going back there again. Things like this are too annoying to waste anymore time than that on.

You would hope in the DFW the dealerships would be big enough they've seen enough high-end cars their techs wouldn't need to act like a kid touching his first girl bits.
YMMV and your tolerance for BS may be higher, but I'm telling the guy I'm taking my business elsewhere and if he wants to watch the video to see why he's more than welcome to.

If he makes a genuine effort (however you want to measure that personally) to understand the situation and offer up a remedy, then I'd give them a second chance.
If the manager is anything less than 5* awesome about things, then I'm never going back there again. Things like this are too annoying to waste anymore time than that on.
My biggest open question is what do I even ask for in order for them to keep my business? Or what can I ask for? Never been in a situation like this. If my first experience with them has someone trying to do launch control, then what happens when the next guy actually figures out how to do it and really launches the car!?

If the manager and whatever 'solution' you come to is anything less than 5* awesome, then I'm never going back there again. Things like this are too annoying to waste anymore time than that on.
Well said!!!!!!!

My biggest open question is what do I even ask for in order for them to keep my business? Or what can I ask for? Never been in a situation like this. If my first experience with them has someone trying to do launch control, then what happens when the next guy actually figures out how to do it and really launches the car!?
Ya totally understand - that's why I said 'however you measure that personally' :)

I wouldn't ask for anything I would legit say - my PDR shows your tech d I c k ing around with my car and due to that I am not coming back here again. If you'd like to view the recording for any internal discipline measures you may want to take you are free to do so.

The rest would be up to the manager. I'd be going there with the mindset I'm never going back here again and maybe they can convince me otherwise. If they say - oh hey how about a free service and polo shirt - I'm guffawing and leaving. But maybe the manager comes across genuine and offers up 'something' (I genuinely don't know what it would take for me to go back there again) that makes you give them the benefit of the doubt.
OTT - we sacked the tech and we're giving you free service up to 36k. Again that is just an example of yes of course, if it's somewhere in the middle, then ya IDK.

By all accounts its difficult to get staff and there's a lot of turnover, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a few bad apples - probably that tech's first week on the job after coming over from Jiffy Lube. The problem is that the next dealer you go to might be in a similar boat. They might even hire that same guy after he gets fired from the first place 😬

IMO one thing to try would be to talk with the the service manager (NOT your service advisor) and request an assurance that going forward only their most trusted/experienced techs will be assigned to work on your car - EVEN IF that means you have to wait longer for an appointment.

I would be a little upset, no, I would be pissed!!!!! I guess I'm lucky at Sewell because only one service tech works on my car and I work with one service advisor so I'm confident this would never happen.. Hell, every time except one my advisor pulls my car around and puts it in a special parking place until I pick it up....

Another thing, Sewell sent @1StunnaV , service advisor, and service tech to Spring Mountain so they all know what the cars will do and I would bet my life none of them would violate my cars, well, except @1StunnaV, LOL, just kidding!!!!!!!! I wish I could give you some good advise but I usually go scorched earth and regret shit later..... I sometimes let my battleship mouth overload my rowboat butt......

My anger right now is one of the reasons I'm not at the dealership already. I want a cool head when I go in for the conversation. I've already messaged my service advisor asking if the manager will be in on Friday and told him my reason for wanting to talk to him. I want to give them the chance to make this right and I don't really want the guy to get fired over this. It's hard out there right now for a lot of people and I hope this doesn't put the guy in a bad place. I also realize that he will almost certainly be fired. A dealership is nothing without a good reputation and he has stained that for me.

My anger right now is one of the reasons I'm not at the dealership already. I want a cool head when I go in for the conversation. I've already messaged my service advisor asking if the manager will be in on Friday and told him my reason for wanting to talk to him. I want to give them the chance to make this right and I don't really want the guy to get fired over this. It's hard out there right now for a lot of people and I hope this doesn't put the guy in a bad place. I also realize that he will almost certainly be fired. A dealership is nothing without a good reputation and he has stained that for me.
I see what you are saying but if they let it slide it may happen again.... I go on the theory that you increase the severity of the correction until you get the desired effect.. But hey, I'm an A-hole....

I see what you are saying but if they let it slide it may happen again.... I go on the theory that you increase the severity of the correction until you get the desired effect.. But hey, I'm an A-hole....
That's my biggest worry. What happens when the next guy actually figures out how to use launch control in the car?!

So I just took my CT4-V Blackwing to the dealership to get a piece of carbon fiber replaced because it had some factory defects in it. I’ve got my PDR set to auto record. The tech who replaced the carbon fiber is on video trying to activate launch control for roughly 8 minutes and then revving the car some during that time to see if it’s active. He eventually gave up as he couldn’t figure it out. My question for everyone on this forum is this. How should I handle this situation? I plan to go talk to the manager on Friday. What could I expect from the conversation? I want to be able to trust the service department at the dealership and not worry about things like this. This is really ruining the dealership for me.
As it’s a personnel issue, I doubt that they’ll let you in on what happens to the tech. If I were in charge of the service department, he’d be let go. That’s unforgivable.

That's my biggest worry. What happens when the next guy actually figures out how to use launch control in the car?!
At least on the 5BW, there's a "Valet Mode" buried in the settings menu (you set a pin code to unlock the car from Valet Mode, I'm not sure if the service dept can defeat it). I think that in combination with the PDR is pretty sure fire. It flashes Valet Mode up on the screen so it'll kill the tech's boner to abuse your car right away 🤣

Also, when you chat with the service manager you'll learn a lot from how he handles it. Does he care to keep your business? Does he seem to have control over his shop? If he brushes you off with a free service voucher or can't give you an assurance about his techs, that says a lot.

If there’s nothing seriously wrong with the vehicle and I’m not an expert on this or have not looked into it I would put it in kitty valet mode every time I bring it to the dealer Just for this reason we’re all human and nobody including ourselves has self control!!! That’s still no excuse for these technicians to be trying to abuse our cars.

If there’s nothing seriously wrong with the vehicle and I’m not an expert on this or have not looked into it I would put it in kitty valet mode every time I bring it to the dealer Just for this reason we’re all human and nobody including ourselves has self control!!! That’s still no excuse for these technicians to be trying to abuse our cars.
I will definitely be doing that from now on! I just never would've thought that they would be dumb enough to even mention the words "how do I turn on launch control"! The car even has a quick message when its started up that says the PDR is recording. But I guess he didn't notice.

I don't really want the guy to get fired over this. It's hard out there right now for a lot of people and I hope this doesn't put the guy in a bad place.

You have a kind heart.

I want to give them the chance to make this right ...

I'm not sure what "right" look like in this situation.

My thought is that there are two separate issues: 1) the possibility that the car was damaged, and, 2) the feeling of violation that comes from someone messing with your car without your permission.

On the first point, my hunch is the car is probably OK due to all the electronics that keep us from blowing them up. If he really dogged on the motor it would into limp mode before blowing up. But maybe you could ask for the powertrain warranty to be extended at no cost to you. If you have a clutch, that's another bag of worms. Did he sit there riding the clutch for 8 minutes?

As far as the feeling of violation goes, pretty much all they can do is assure you it won't happen again. Which, as you say, probably involves firing the guy. But if you're really a "2nd chance" guy, make that part of the conversation. Tell them you would look favorably upon them if they figured out a corrective action plan to help this guy grow up, rather than firing him.

Good luck!

I'd be beyond pissed. I think first step is the service manager, BUT, I think I'd be asking for a sit down with not only the service manager, but the store GM and if possible, the owner principle. If any of them have a "sorry, but oh well" attitude. I'd go from there, whatever that means.

So tired of seeing shit like this. I would ask for the best extended warranty offered by Cadillac for no charge and go from there. Be polite, firm, but not a pushover. I wouldn’t even bring up what is appropriate discipline for the employe as revenge is not your motive. That’s up to management.
But, I do wonder why he had permission to test drive it for replacing a trim piece.

So tired of seeing shit like this. I would ask for the best extended warranty offered by Cadillac for no charge and go from there. Be polite, firm, but not a pushover. I wouldn’t even bring up what is appropriate discipline for the employe as revenge is not your motive. That’s up to management.
But, I do wonder why he had permission to test drive it for replacing a trim piece.
All he was supposed to do was pull it out of the body shop and into a parking spot after he was done. Instead, he drove it out of the shop garage and immediately started asking how to "turn on launch control". He did one attempt in their parking lot and then gave up because he couldn't figure it out. He didn't really abuse the car in a way that would damage it, but he tried to get it to activate for around 8-10 minutes and then gave up. It's more the principle of the matter and even trying to activate launch control in a car he doesn't own. I've already got the max extended warranty on the car as the last extended warranty I had on my mustang paid for itself twice. It will certainly be interesting to see what they try to offer as compensation. I am not hopeful that it will satisfy my rage, but they are a reputable dealership, so maybe I'm wrong.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back