Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4BW's Turning Off - Safety Risk

Yes, the car is running Tapout Catless Downpipes, colder and tigher spark plugs, a JB4, and a ported throttle body.
Tapout has not seen this issue on any of their modded blackwings. The JB4 is a piggyback tuner, in that it doesn't actually require an ECU unlock/flash/hack/etc. It modifies the parameters that are seen by the computer to induce a wee bit more "umph" from the turbos etc.

I thought about that being the issue, but I'm the only person running into this problem that is not stock. I took the JB4 off completely and restored all connections to stock before hitting the dealership, and it happened without the JB4 being present at all, so we can rule that out. Another guy had a speed monitor plugged into his OBD port for insurance purposes and the dealership told him that it was causing an electrical fault. With my OBD port being free and clear of anything, and it still happening, makes me a very unhappy camper :(

I'm inclined to agree here. I'll be taking the car right back to the dealership tomorrow, and keeping all visit information logged etc, and I'll have to start going the lemon route with an attorney or corporate unless a master tech can be summoned to accurately diagnose the issue (show me the problem, and how it specifically takes the car into this mode) and then show me how the fix will prevent it from occurring again.

Also interesting to note that the first time it happened, the car was only in limp mode until it was restarted. This time, the car was governed strictly at 62mph and throwing codes for suspension as well as showing malfunctioning sensors for pretty much everything you can think of - brakes, knock, suspension, collision sensor, etc etc. These were obviously not real problems, there's a ghost in the wires :D

Of course, after sitting overnight, the codes are gone and it's like nothing ever happened, super interesting.

Interesting. A few years back we had a problem with our Chrysler Pacifica minivan. The car's electric system would completely freak out. It happened 4 or 5 times. It turned out that the problem would only happen after the van was running for about one hour or more AND you would turn on the high beams. We live in an area with dark country roads and in the Winter this would happen to my wife coming back at 8 PM from work.

The engine would shut down, and all the lights inside and outside would start flashing on and off. No fixing it once it started. Even if you had the vehicle "off". The van had to be towed 2 times to the dealer. But they could not find a problem with it. I figured out that if I disconnected the battery when it happened, it would reset the system and we could start it up again. I am certain that the problem was with the central power distribution unit.

I "fixed" the issue by trading the van in for a new one, as the service department could not find a problem with it.
Once the battery died that problem would go away until the next time you drove for an hour and turned on the high beams. I am sorry for the downstream person that got stuck with that van.

So I finally got around to taking it to the dealership for an oil change and diagnosis. I had to drop the car for 2 days for them to diagnose. They are ordering a new brake system control module under warranty to remedy the situation. I'll have to ask them their reasoning but I sincerely hope the issue doesn't come back. The car was left at the dealership until the module comes in which is about 5 days.
Hey dude,

Any word from your dealership regarding why they chose to order a new BSCM? My dealership doesn’t want to do that for some reason, and they can’t figure out why the car is doing it. They want to bill me to put my OEM downpipes on the vehicle because the emissions codes and lack of original O2 sensors are hindering their data collection (so they say)…

Nope. In fact I texted them today and they said the one they ordered also failed so they had to order a new one. I guess it's stuck at the shop for another week. I'm starting to miss it!

When I pick the car up I will try to speak to the tech and see what their rationale is. My experience at Lexus here was fantastic. They let me ask questions, see the tools they use, and inspect the car. They have plenty of service techs and a really large comfortable waiting room. At Cadillac there is one service manager and I didn't see any techs. The car just disappears into the back. With Lotus it's the worst. The tech is great but he's the only one. The service manager is non existent and appointments are months ahead.

Here’s another guy from today. At this point, I’ll be likely reaching out to everyone and going the class-action legal route to force a recall before one of us is seriously injured.
40A573BB-2914-4E0E-BF05-DD44C11DB697.jpeg

You guys are really starting to make me paranoid! Hope there is an answer for all of this...

I got my car back today from the dealership. This is after the Brake System Control module was replaced (twice). I'll let you know if it happens again. I wanted to talk to a tech but they said the techs were busy and there would be a full writeup in the papers. I'll copy it here so you can see which code caused them to replace that module:

CEL: Diagnose cause for check engine light illumination. Diag Fee only. Repair costs may be additional. Dash Flickered. Lost power steering, power brakes, emergency brake would not work. Check and advise.

Caused by
p0606 set in brake system control module. following diag in si. if codes it set replaced module that is setting the code. SI advises to prepare old module for removal through sps. there was no choice for that. replace module. attempted to program. sps need me to choose software number from list. new part number not listed. old number was. tried to program would not even attempt to. call techline. case 3230733. explain situation. was advised to call partech and verify this is the correct module for vehicle. verified correct module for vehicle case 9-10308533745. called techline back. case 3231010. they logged into my computer took images of what was happening and escalated to engineers. got return phone call and was advised my part number was on the list. had two other people verify first time it was not. attempted to program module again. did not have to choose any number this time. it attempted to program would not fully go through. we tried sdac and brake system module came up with failure. unplogged module and sdac went through. was advised to replace module again.

Installed 85115835 : sl-n-module (04815-BCK) replaced module again. would not program. tried the sdac again. brake module failed again. checked all power and ground to module with dvom. ohmed out communication lines all .2 ohms. and 120 ohms on either side. no comm with module. plugged in original module. can communicate with that. contacted tac case 9-10322199041. was advised to call techline back and check with them seems to be a program issue. disconnected battery and let sit over the weekend. attempted to program module. was ask to choose part number from list. found my new part number was on the list. program went through. 28yz176820436. set up module fdyz176823113. various codes set. performed sdac. all codes cleared. All ok at this time

This was all covered under warranty so I didn't pay anything. It seems like they replaced the brake control module based on p0606 as per the diagnostic manual. Then they had trouble programming the replacement and it seems like it failed. They ordered a second one and couldn't program that one too. Then they plugged in the original and noticed it worked so they unplugged the battery and reprogrammed it with the correct part number and the second control module finally worked. I'm not sure what a lot of these mean SI, SPS, SDAC, etc but I got the gist.

I didn't record an event with the NTHSA but if it happens again you bet I will. That means their engineers/manual didn't account for this and it's not just a part failure.

Has there been any new developments with this? Any word from the dealers or Cadillac on what's causing it? I absolutely love my car, but admittedly feel a bit less confident in it after seeing all of these stories.

Happened again to me today. Strike two. I'm calling the dealership. This was less than 1000 miles after they "fixed it". I may mention the replacing the MAP sensor but I honestly don't feel like the techs want to see my face. The service manager didn't let me see them last time to discuss what the issue could be.

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_175749.jpg
    IMG_20230905_175749.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 115
Happened again to me today. Strike two. I'm calling the dealership. This was less than 1000 miles after they "fixed it". I may mention the replacing the MAP sensor but I honestly don't feel like the techs want to see my face. The service manager didn't let me see them last time to discuss what the issue could be.
Under the California lemon law, if there is a failure twice for what’s deemed a safety issue, this is cause for a buyback or compensation. For regular warranty problems it’s three times for the same problem in the first 18,000 miles, four times total, I believe under 36,000 miles and/or 30 days of the car being unavailable (in the shop) for the owners use.

My son had the same issue on two different vehicles, where the cars completely went limp on the freeway. Both were buybacks under the lemon law in California.

This is somewhat unnerving. I've lost confidence pushing the car after reading this thread and the one on FB, even though I've never had an issue with mine. The fact that they can't seem to diagnose it is problematic, please keep us posted!

This is somewhat unnerving. I've lost confidence pushing the car after reading this thread and the one on FB, even though I've never had an issue with mine. The fact that they can't seem to diagnose it is problematic, please keep us posted!

You’ve never had an issue with your vehicle yet his post is unnerving to you?

tmp.gif

Yeah some people seem to find every reason to nitpick the car. I still love it and enjoy driving it as much as I can. The fact that they 'fixed it' and the problem came back means that they don't know the issue yet. I hope they fix it because I really missed driving the car for last time!

That being said, this is a serious issue and needs to be resolved. The brake boost going out can cause an accident for sure. I don't think the loss of power steering or e-brake is that big of a deal. A quick restart brought back the e-brake but now I travel with wheel chocks in my trunk for this very reason.

Is this happening on Automatic cars only or also on 6MT cars?

My car is a 6MT.

EDIT: completely stock too, besides the wrap. I never even got a chance to set up my dash cam yet.

You’ve never had an issue with your vehicle yet his post is unnerving to you?

View attachment 21578

I can't not respect the Godfather gif, so fair play there. To be clear, I love this car and my favorite out of any car I've owned.

The fact that there are multiple people who are saying that the vehicle is loosing power, while driving, with no warning or ability to diagnose the issue is incredibly problematic. It is a legitimate safety concern and absolutely has made me think twice when pushing the vehicle hard in the corners.

I can't not respect the Godfather gif, so fair play there. To be clear, I love this car and my favorite out of any car I've owned.

The fact that there are multiple people who are saying that the vehicle is loosing power, while driving, with no warning or ability to diagnose the issue is incredibly problematic. It is a legitimate safety concern and absolutely has made me think twice when pushing the vehicle hard in the corners.
Not trying to start an internet fight, but that is a really weird take. You are either worried about driving it or not. Obviously bad things can happen in many other situations other than hard cornering if your car shuts off or loses power suddenly.

If you’ve lost that much confidence in the car/brand then I’d dump it and move on.

To the OP, I’d get GM involved ASAP (if they already haven’t), after a second incident of this happening, I can’t believe they’d let you have the car back without fully knowing what is going on. If anything for their own liability, but companies are stupid, especially very large ones like GM.

Not trying to start an internet fight, but that is a really weird take. You are either worried about driving it or not. Obviously bad things can happen in many other situations other than hard cornering if your car shuts off or loses power suddenly.

If you’ve lost that much confidence in the car/brand then I’d dump it and move on.

To the OP, I’d get GM involved ASAP (if they already haven’t), after a second incident of this happening, I can’t believe they’d let you have the car back without fully knowing what is going on. If anything for their own liability, but companies are stupid, especially very large ones like GM.
internet fight GIF

Excited Sound Of Music GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

We can agree to disagree - there seems to be a trend of a subset of our cars losing power without warning, and the dealers have been unable to replicate or fix the issue. We don't know if it was only a specific group of cars, or cars with certain options, etc. I love my car and I'm not getting rid of it - but I'm absolutely paying close attention to my driving habits until this type of failure gets sorted out. Bad things happen everyday (especially in my line of work), but my car shutting off while I'm getting after it has me paying close attention to this thread and any potential solutions.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back