Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Cadillac Smart Driver and Privacy Concerns

You don't need an app, you just need to log onto your cadillac account on a computer. Scroll down to Data and privacy and check if you are enrolled in onstar insurance.

TY... it appears that I am notđź‘Ť

Screenshot_20240222_150821_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240222_150749_Chrome.jpg

It's not just that I don't use the app, but rather that I don't have an account at all.

That's why I'm hesitant to sign up just to opt back out, if not having an account means I was never opted in to start with. But if simply buying the car opted me in, then I'll go through the motions.

Same here. Bought the car with 300mi on it from a Toyota dealer of all places.

I can safely say I didn't do anything with the app, site, or related accounts.... but in my excitement I probably clicked through a few on-screen menus in the car hurriedly, some pertaining to On-star.

Of course "they" are still probably doing some tracking, but at least the car can't know about me as a person and tie that data to my identity like it does with the app....

... right?

Same here. Bought the car with 300mi on it from a Toyota dealer of all places.

I can safely say I didn't do anything with the app, site, or related accounts.... but in my excitement I probably clicked through a few on-screen menus in the car hurriedly, some pertaining to On-star.

Of course "they" are still probably doing some tracking, but at least the car can't know about me as a person and tie that data to my identity like it does with the app....

... right?

Meanwhile the previous owner opens up his insurance statement and promptly passes out in his new Sienna because his premiums went up 700%.

Meanwhile the previous owner opens up his insurance statement and promptly passes out in his new Sienna because his premiums went up 700%.
That's funny, but it does make one wonder. What if the previous owner had an active account and was opted in, yet didn't opt out or have his account cancelled. 🤔

Full disclosure: I work for an insurance company. I am not an agent, I will not try to sell you anything. Insurance laws vary between states, so keep that in mind.

It would scare most of you guys and gals if you knew how much information was out there and how many companies exist soley to gather, consolidate and report that information.

I read a great book once, sorry can't remember the nane, about how information about us is tracked and stored. Clif notes: after 9/11, the govt. wanted to learn more about residents of the USA but laws prevent that kind of information from being stored by the govt., so private business started doing it on their behalf. So it's not really the government doing it, but they can buy the info just like anyone else.

Including, I presume, China, Russia, Iran, etc. but that's probably fodder for a different thread.

And don't get me started on Facebook.

As noted on page 2 of this thread, you really just need to take a chill pill and do the best you reasonably can (lock credit reports) to protect yourself. But beyond that, it's largely a moot point: They already know so much, beyond throwing away your cell phone, computer, TV and all credit cards there's nothing that you can do.

Full disclosure: I work for an insurance company. I am not an agent, I will not try to sell you anything. Insurance laws vary between states, so keep that in mind.

It would scare most of you guys and gals if you knew how much information was out there and how many companies exist soley to gather, consolidate and report that information.

I read a great book once, sorry can't remember the nane, about how information about us is tracked and stored. Clif notes: after 9/11, the govt. wanted to learn more about residents of the USA but laws prevent that kind of information from being stored by the govt., so private business started doing it on their behalf. So it's not really the government doing it, but they can buy the info just like anyone else.

Including, I presume, China, Russia, Iran, etc. but that's probably fodder for a different thread.

And don't get me started on Facebook.

As noted on page 2 of this thread, you really just need to take a chill pill and do the best you reasonably can (lock credit reports) to protect yourself. But beyond that, it's largely a moot point: They already know so much, beyond throwing away your cell phone, computer, TV and all credit cards there's nothing that you can do.
Yeah I try to protect myself from fraud but understand my info is already out there for companies with the time and resources to dig. Its risk mitigation, not elimination.

@Throat Yogurt thanks for starting this thread

Once I saw this I opened the app and confirmed i had not enrolled in smart driver. I did request a LexisNexis report though, and it arrived this weekend still showing 44 pages worth of driving info categorized as 'acceleration event', 'braking event', and/or 'high speed event' timestamped by trip. 44 pages over 9 months of driving

I called OnStar, and while on the line I checked the app again, and miraculously I was somehow enrolled in smart driver. I unclicked the box (same one I saw not selected days before). OnStar confirmed I had never enrolled at least. They couldn't explain how the data got to LexisNexis though and now I'm awaiting a call back.

I sent in a request to LexisNexis seeing if I can have that specific information removed since it was obtained without consent, otherwise I'll look to opt out of it altogether.

I know my phone and other items have access to everything I do and don't generally care. But none of them report it out in a way that could affect insurance rates etc, so def not cool with this. Get a report if you didn't already especially since it seems like smart driver isnt what dictates reporting

Well thank you all for this. I checked my app, said I wasn't opted in, got the Lexis Nexis report and it was full of hard brake and hard acceleration reports. Checked again and I was opted in, so I have now opted out. Sheesh, but again, thanks!

When you say Opt Out, are you referring to this screen? If so, can I still use the Map function to see the current location of my car? What about a history of previous travel/locations?

Screenshot_20240310_094624.jpg

@jwolf99 I could swear when Throat Yogurt first posted, I checked my app on both of my GM vehicles and both were turned off on the screen shot you posted. I just logged in and appears the app was updated and when I checked again, it showed turned on for both vehicles!! Like everyone else, I never signed up for it and after this latest app update, you better check again and mine was switched to on. 🤬

Sometimes apps won’t give you everything via the cell phone, so going to now log in via laptop and revisit.

I will order my LexisNexis report this weekend and put the freeze on the data as my son was recently involved in an accident and when insurance sent me the police report, it came LexisNexis and showed my name as the driver because of a bad police report and cop defaulted to the vehicle owner, me. Now I have to find the cop and have it corrected so the LN report gets updated. What a crock of shit!

Well this is BS. When this thread first came up, I checked and confirmed safe driver was turned off. I just checked again and not only is it turned on, but the data seems to go back to my entire history with the car.

I’ve turned it back off and requested my LexisNexus as well as asking them to delete my data.

My auto insurance has over doubled in the last couple years, now I’m wondering if this is the reason.

I’ve turned it back off and requested my LexisNexus as well as asking them to delete my data.
Did you use one of their online forms to request the deletion or did you have a submit a written request by mail?

It seems that only certain states have a law that will allow you to dictate whether LexisNexis (or any data collection agency) can or cannot collect your info. New York isn't one of them. I have specifically opt out of the source that provides the data (i.e. SmartDriver). Guess I will have to turn off SmartDriver and check periodically that remains off.

Anyone find any specific benefits from freezing vs opting out entirely of LexisNexis? It seems you can unfreeze or opt back in so wondering if either is the better option

Did you use one of their online forms to request the deletion or did you have a submit a written request by mail?

It seems that only certain states have a law that will allow you to dictate whether LexisNexis (or any data collection agency) can or cannot collect your info. New York isn't one of them. I have specifically opt out of the source that provides the data (i.e. SmartDriver). Guess I will have to turn off SmartDriver and check periodically that remains off.
The LexisNexus online form gave me the option to delete my info. I’m in VA.

I generally try to be rational and balanced on things, but I have to admit this has really soured me on GM. I’ll wait to see if this shows up in my LN report before I get too worried.

Same here poor-sha, but finding it back on is not right. I wonder if it counts all of the track driving habits for those who track, then count against on insurance even though your not on a street?

Well this is BS. When this thread first came up, I checked and confirmed safe driver was turned off. I just checked again and not only is it turned on, but the data seems to go back to my entire history with the car.

My auto insurance has over doubled in the last couple years, now I’m wondering if this is the reason.

QQ: what do you mean the data seems to go back the entire history? Do you have a way to check the data online, vs waiting two weeks for LexisNexis to send something via post?

Mine just went up a lot too; wondering if this is a factor. Uncool. And big thanks to the OP for bringing this to light. I only discovered this thread today, and found that mine was also enabled even though I had never heard of this "feature."

Hard to blame l-n for this, it's so GM's fault. I also opted out, but found recent data in the report.

An insurance premium increase of around 50% since 2020 is about normal for the current situation. Expect another 10% increase this year. If it went up 100% that’s a different story and possibly not normal.

I received my LN report. Aside from Hard Acceleration and Hark Braking Events, they also track High Speed Events. I'm not quite sure what the threshold/parameters are for that. But I have opted out on the app. It looks like vehicle location service is still operational.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back