Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Break in 6MT fluid change

I'm dubious on the whole "internet guy recommends this magic sauce" thing. OEM's spend millions validating fluids and just because Larry and his buddies all run some fluid cocktail without issue is not evidence of anything.

Well, it certainly is ATF in the BW5 with the -6060.

View attachment 25112

And if you go to Redline and others to find what their equivalent product is...it's 'straight' ATF.

D4 ATF - Quart​

• Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, for use in automatic, manual transmissions and power steering
  • Popular applications: Toyota Type T-III and T-IV, Honda ATF-Z1, Nissan Matic D, J & K, Diamond SP-II, SP-III, Mazda ATF M-V, most BMW and Audi/VW automatic transmissions
  • Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-model BMW, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection
  • Excellent cold weather operation
Exactly and as I recall I checked the Tremec website and saw ATF there as well.

I'm dubious on the whole "internet guy recommends this magic sauce" thing. OEM's spend millions validating fluids and just because Larry and his buddies all run some fluid cocktail without issue is not evidence of anything.
Of course. For me the essential part of the equation is: when you buy directly from TREMEC and they are responsible for the warranty, they recommend HP-MTF.

GM validated the Dexron in the -6060 not because it's better, but because it's cheaper for GM to use one less fluid type across the models.

Exactly and as I recall I checked the Tremec website and saw ATF there as well.
Here is the Tremec spec sheet where they call for ATF

Attachments

• TREMEC_TR-6060_1017.pdf
    871.1 KB · Views: 33
What is interesting (anecdotally, perhaps) is the manual transmission in the V6 6th Gen does not use Dexron and has a fill/drain procedure that is 'fill to the bottom of the fill port and call it done'. The M6 in the V6 is NOT a -6060.

It is a TR-6060.

1712190743300.png

Here is the Tremec spec sheet where they call for ATF
TREMEC HP-MTF™ MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID

We get the question all of the time, “What kind of oil do you guys recommend?”

And now, we’re pleased to announce our definitive answer -- “TREMEC oil, of course!”

Developed in conjunction with world-class automotive and industrial lubricant producers, TREMEC’s new HP-MTF™ High Performance Manual Transmission Fluid is designed to provide an ideal balance of rugged protection and responsive shifting in accordance with the OEM-level standards of TREMEC’s own engineers.

Compatible with all TREMEC manuals produced from 2008-to-current, HP-MTF is also yellow metal safe, meaning that it may also provide benefits in non-TREMEC units, such as the early 3- & 4-speeds that TREMECs typically displace.

Although acceptable for use in all climates, HP-MTF is especially well-suited to summer-like conditions; and while developed first-and-foremost with street performance in mind, is capable of supporting severe-duty use in competition applications.

To purchase, see your preferred TREMEC Elite Distributor, or visit our online store at www.tremec-store.com.

• HP-MTF, 1-Quart Bottle...........TUSA16992HP-MTF
  • 4-Quart Case........................TUKT16993

The owners manual for the 4 says to run Dex3 ATF in the manual tranny

Well, it certainly is ATF in the BW5 with the -6060.

View attachment 25112

And if you go to Redline and others to find what their equivalent product is...it's 'straight' ATF.

D4 ATF - Quart​

• Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, for use in automatic, manual transmissions and power steering
  • Popular applications: Toyota Type T-III and T-IV, Honda ATF-Z1, Nissan Matic D, J & K, Diamond SP-II, SP-III, Mazda ATF M-V, most BMW and Audi/VW automatic transmissions
  • Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-model BMW, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection
  • Excellent cold weather operation
this is what is SO frustrating and confusing. Your image in exerpt from the OWNER manual. My CT4 OWNER manual also says Dex III. But my excerpt is from the SERVICE manual which specifically calls out the gear oil. I am shocked by how inconsistent and bad the documentation is. How do we find out for sure - 75W85 gear oil and ATF are VERY different!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 29
On the internet, everyone is a powertrain engineer! :rolleyes: And if we're going to go down the cynical road and claim that Dex3 is a function of convenience and cost, I'll join you and suggest Tremec re-branded an existing cheap fluid to create a profit center peddling Tremec branded product. I don't believe either is true, just pointing out how easy it is to fabricate a narrative to support our biases.

Most cars on the road get the minimum recommended service using middling products and live very long lives. Following the OM and using factory fluids in our BW's, one can expect a very long service life as well. I over-service my cars and have my favorite fluids, but I do it because I enjoy the process and it satisfies my personality quirks.

On the internet, everyone is a powertrain engineer! :rolleyes: And if we're going to go down the cynical road and claim that Dex3 is a function of convenience and cost, I'll join you and suggest Tremec re-branded an existing cheap fluid to create a profit center peddling Tremec branded product. I don't believe either is true, just pointing out how easy it is to fabricate a narrative to support our biases.

Most cars on the road get the minimum recommended service using middling products and live very long lives. Following the OM and using factory fluids in our BW's, one can expect a very long service life as well. I over-service my cars and have my favorite fluids, but I do it because I enjoy the process and it satisfies my personality quirks.

Isn't that the truth! I rarely deviate from OEM fluids/filters/parts...when I do it's usually for a specific use case and after some time reading what is out there. I tend to over-service all of my and my family members cars also. Although I believe I service them at a reasonable interval. :D

At the end of the day, run what fluid you want and change it when you feel it needs it. It's yours, after all!

Hi All,

First post - I am taking delivery of a 2024 CT4-V Blackwing on Wednesday. 6MT, Black on black, with performance seats and alcantara. I am beyond excited. I am joining the seemingly large group of ex-BMW folks who are choosing Blackwings over G80 M3s.

I've been preparing for my break in service and reading the forums, but one thing that seems notably absent is discussion on a fluid change for the 6MT. It's a bit strange to me that the OM recommends a diff fluid change before tracking but mentions nothing of a 6MT fluid change for break in. I am planning to do a 6MT change at 1500 miles along with the diff, but figured I would throw it out there to see anyone had thoughts or opinions. I figure it's easy and cheap, and what's the worst that can happen? Besides, I like being underneath cars almost as much as driving them.

First, congrats! Second, yes, lots of ex-BMW owners here, and AFAIK, none of us regret the move.

IMHO there is no need to replace the transmission fluid. The engine and diff have shearing forces that cause wear, and therefore there is more break-in debris and stress on the parts. The tranny, not so much.

First, congrats! Second, yes, lots of ex-BMW owners here, and AFAIK, none of us regret the move.

IMHO there is no need to replace the transmission fluid. The engine and diff have shearing forces that cause wear, and therefore there is more break-in debris and stress on the parts. The tranny, not so much.
Thanks for your reply. Educate me - why does the diff have shearing forces but the tranny does not?

Interestingly enough, I had not looked at the severe operating considering section of the owner's manual and it does specify a 45K mile change (same as the diff) for the 6MT, which I suppose is what I will follow.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back