Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

BRAKE PADS FOR TRACK DAY

frankfast97

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 ct5-v blackwing (on order)
What brake pads would you folks recommend for track day use in my CT5 BW? OEM seem to do fine. i just did a track day at Carolina Motorsports Park. I ran 4 sessions doing a warm up lap..2-3 flyers...and a cool down lap. I dont see myself going out for long track runs of 30 straight minutes are anything.

I run OEM Brembos with Brembo LCF 600+ fluid with no problems. However, most of my sessions are around 20 minutes.

Honestly don’t know if you have much choice in brake pads currently. I’d go with good fluid (Castrol SRF is best) and stay with OEM pads.

I assume you have iron brakes? With CCBs all I needed to change was fluid to Castrol SRF.

yes...iron brakes. i have not changed fluid. i will do that. i know there is a section in owners manual on how to do it properly.

The OEMs are insanely good on the track for being OEM pads. The street grade fluid is the weak link unless you are trying to set a lap record. I daily my 4 so I am never going more than 7/10s which is plenty quick.

I'm a big fan of Ferodo pads. Assuming they have a pad that fits I'd go with the DS 3.12. My buddy who let me take his 4BW out on track was running the DS 3.12 and I thought they worked well. You might want to call Essex Parts.

I'm a big fan of Ferodo pads. Assuming they have a pad that fits I'd go with the DS 3.12. My buddy who let me take his 4BW out on track was running the DS 3.12 and I thought they worked well. You might want to call Essex Parts.
2nd this vote. I love their DSUNO pad also. I hope they make shapes for the iron brakes soon.

OEM pads & Castrol SRF fluid

Interesting. Essex carries a pad for the 4 BW but not for the 5 BW. Their part for the 4 BW is the same pad for the C7Z, Camaro SSs, CTS-V, and ATS-V. However it does not have the missing backing plate and pad material to fit the brake sensor the newer car has. So you just pull the sensor off the harness and put in the older style pads. I am surprised that the 5 BW doesn't also use an older pad but with the cutout for the new sensor. I have already changed my pads to carbon ceramics to get rid of the dusting problem from the OEM pad.

Interesting. Essex carries a pad for the 4 BW but not for the 5 BW. Their part for the 4 BW is the same pad for the C7Z, Camaro SSs, CTS-V, and ATS-V. However it does not have the missing backing plate and pad material to fit the brake sensor the newer car has. So you just pull the sensor off the harness and put in the older style pads. I am surprised that the 5 BW doesn't also use an older pad but with the cutout for the new sensor. I have already changed my pads to carbon ceramics to get rid of the dusting problem from the OEM pad.
The iron BW5 caliper should be the same as the Copper free brake on the Camaro 1LE. I’ll go over to the Camaro6 site and dig. Some guys there were trying to get the BW5 brake deflectors to fit and I recall someone discovered the front calipers have same pads size. Not sure about the shape.

Also, it’s a nitpick to be sure, but you didn’t switch to carbon ceramic pads, just ceramic pads. Be sure you understand you cut your braking performance in half with ceramic pads. They don’t tolerate heat at all.

Their braking performance is fine for street driving. I used Carbotech ceramic pads on my C7Z and Power Stop on my ATS-V with no problems for years. And I did donate my OEM pads to track folks as that pad is good for the occasional track day.

Their braking performance is fine for street driving. I used Carbotech ceramic pads on my C7Z and Power Stop on my ATS-V with no problems for years. And I did donate my OEM pads to track folks as that pad is good for the occasional track day.
Sounds like you know what you are about.

I sometimes cringe when I see someone say 'carbon ceramic' pads because I have had it happen more than once at a Track Event. Someone who is new will tell us all how he put in fresh fluid and 'carbon ceramic pads' and has to come in after 10 minutes because he has no brake.

I’m trying to find more info about the new EBC SR series sintered track pads. I’ve worked with their track pads in the past. It was ok, but not for more experienced drivers. This new product might be different.

Last edited:
Will you get a brake light by doing so?

No. By now I would think the aftermarket pad manufacturers have replacement pads with the brake sensor cutouts. I only have 12,000 miles on my 22 so won't need pads for a while but when I do I will get the Powerstops again but hopefully with the sensor cutout. Although I don't need the dash to tell me when I need new pads.

I did a 1hr session 3 times in November during a track event. The OEM Brembos with Brembo LCF 600+ fluid did great.
I think we all need to take pads/brake reviews with a grain of salt. Which track are we talking about, the weather and driver level and style?
I had serious problems with stock pads at Summit Point but no issues at Spring MT. Was it because of the track? Or maybe because I didn’t have enough seat time there and I was slower?

I think we all need to take pads/brake reviews with a grain of salt. Which track are we talking about, the weather and driver level and style?
I had serious problems with stock pads at Summit Point but no issues at Spring MT. Was it because of the track? Or maybe because I didn’t have enough seat time there and I was slower?
Spring Mountain CP 8 100+ mph breaking zones down to 40mph. High average speed 3.2 mile track ~2:35 times. Heavy on brakes but then I didn't ride brakes. Riding them doesn't give them time to cool between braking zones. By the way I average 75% brake wear each track weekend. So I usually need new pads before each track weekend.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back