Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Brake Dust is Terrible!

DustinEarnhardt

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
So I know there's another thread about this that has agglomerated a lot of people's 'nits' about these cars, but in order to keep things more topic-focused, I was wondering if anyone knew any more detail on the brake pads that are on the CT4BW.

I'm having to clean the wheels way more frequently than I'd like, and the brake dust gets so bad at times it actually flings off onto the doors and rear quarter panels.

My question is: Are these calipers used on any other GM model (or any model for that matter) that may already have aftermarket brake pads developed for it?

The brakes are WAY more than sufficient for daily driving, so I'd be willing to put a less grippy/dusty set in for around town and then switching back to the OEM's for track use.

Also, I realize I'm opening myself up to being flamed out of existence with "Why would you sacrifice performance, bruh!?!" and "It's a race car, bruh, deal with it!" but seriously, GFY. My car, my choice.

I did a quick search and most of the usual places don't have parts listed for 2022 models. If I were you, I'd take the stock pads off and see if there's a part number from the OEM (probably Brembo?). Then, you can find the pad shape, and see what other vehicles use the same and go from there.

So I know there's another thread about this that has agglomerated a lot of people's 'nits' about these cars, but in order to keep things more topic-focused, I was wondering if anyone knew any more detail on the brake pads that are on the CT4BW.

I'm having to clean the wheels way more frequently than I'd like, and the brake dust gets so bad at times it actually flings off onto the doors and rear quarter panels.

My question is: Are these calipers used on any other GM model (or any model for that matter) that may already have aftermarket brake pads developed for it?

The brakes are WAY more than sufficient for daily driving, so I'd be willing to put a less grippy/dusty set in for around town and then switching back to the OEM's for track use.

Also, I realize I'm opening myself up to being flamed out of existence with "Why would you sacrifice performance, bruh!?!" and "It's a race car, bruh, deal with it!" but seriously, GFY. My car, my choice.
Which color wheels do you have?

You may want to check with Brembo on ceramic pads to see if there is any that could fit. I went through this with my Vsport and finally got ceramic pads which did help a lot.

I emailed Brembo to see if they would have Ceramic Nano pads that could fit. May have to provide measurements of the pads on there but its worth a try.

This is one of those questions that will only be answered when someone is willing to pull a pad and take a look at the pad backing. It'll have all the info we need. Almost 100% certain it is the Ferodo pad made for Brembo.

Could potentially drop your VIN# into a site like www.gmpartsdirect.com and look for an OEM brake pad.

25940447 is the part# for the CTS-V, C7 Z06 and Camaro SS 1LE. The ZL1 has a different pad shape since the caliper is larger. I suspect the CT5 BW has the ZL1 caliper on it.

I heard back from Brembo and they will not have anything for the Blackwings for another 3 to 4 months.

Its not Ferodo. Its an all new developed pad specific for V Series Blackwings that is Copper free due to new regulations. Its a Brembo pad. Copper is bad for brake pad emission, when it rains it goes into rivers/lakes and is not good for fish and wildlife. However, it is a track pad. Every customer that has ever bought a performance vehicle with track pads will see dust because these systems create better torque due to higher bite which means more rotor/pad wear. Same was on ATS-V and CTS-V, all previous V's including all other performance cars using high end brake systems. The carbon ceramic system on the CT5-V Blackwing creates a lot less dust, which is one of those great advantages of carbon systems (in addition to many others). Lots of cool technology being developed in this space by many automotive companies since many struggle with "too much dust" claims from customers.

If you go to a pad that creates less dust the vehicle has not been calibrated for that since your system friction will be significantly reduced and you will have to keep that in mind when driving your car. Same with tires, think of it as going to all season tires from the 4S's. Performance goes with it on what makes these cars special.

I have seen some customers ceramic coat their wheels and imply the dust just washes away. I never tried it and being that I track my cars the wheels get pretty hot so not sure how those coatings hold up.

Anyhow, moral of the story is high performance brakes designed for track duty will create dust.

Thanks for the info, Mirza. I forgot about the copper moratorium in California.

Is the caliper specific to the BW? I ask because if it’s a C7Z or ZL1 caliper, there are lots of pads to choose from.

Its not Ferodo. Its an all new developed pad specific for V Series Blackwings that is Copper free due to new regulations. Its a Brembo pad. Copper is bad for brake pad emission, when it rains it goes into rivers/lakes and is not good for fish and wildlife. However, it is a track pad. Every customer that has ever bought a performance vehicle with track pads will see dust because these systems create better torque due to higher bite which means more rotor/pad wear. Same was on ATS-V and CTS-V, all previous V's including all other performance cars using high end brake systems. The carbon ceramic system on the CT5-V Blackwing creates a lot less dust, which is one of those great advantages of carbon systems (in addition to many others). Lots of cool technology being developed in this space by many automotive companies since many struggle with "too much dust" claims from customers.

If you go to a pad that creates less dust the vehicle has not been calibrated for that since your system friction will be significantly reduced and you will have to keep that in mind when driving your car. Same with tires, think of it as going to all season tires from the 4S's. Performance goes with it on what makes these cars special.

I have seen some customers ceramic coat their wheels and imply the dust just washes away. I never tried it and being that I track my cars the wheels get pretty hot so not sure how those coatings hold up.

Anyhow, moral of the story is high performance brakes designed for track duty will create dust.
You're right about the ceramic coat on the wwheels, I had my Vsport wheels ceramic coated and the brake dust does rinse right off and its been 2 years since having it done and the ceramic coating is still holding up.

Thanks for the info, Mirza. I forgot about the copper moratorium in California.

Is the caliper specific to the BW? I ask because if it’s a C7Z or ZL1 caliper, there are lots of pads to choose from.
The pad shapes are similar, caliper has some modifications on front of both to fit larger rotors. However, pad chamfers, shims, backing plate thickness/shape and such all impact performance, noise, response time etc. going to camaro, corvette or old gen V linings that used ferodo HP-1000 will not help one bit with dust but could impact other things such as noise. Also, you have pad wear sensors now and will not fit old gen pad shapes I believe.

I actually bought the carbon ceramic brakes as much for no brake dust as I did for performance. Once you live with no dust you can never go back…

I washed my girl this weekend and the brake dust just washed off easily but I had the whole wheel ceramic coated so everyone may need to look into doing that..

Check mine from track day today lol

Attachments

• B984CEB5-D8DC-415A-84E2-A662524EA78A.jpeg
    B984CEB5-D8DC-415A-84E2-A662524EA78A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 212
Dust is way less than my BMW X3M!

I am beyond speechless how awesome this car ran today.

Attachments

• 482B2EEC-FFF8-4278-A9C1-FA820E29444B.jpeg
    482B2EEC-FFF8-4278-A9C1-FA820E29444B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 187
  • E421CF9B-F9F3-460D-B204-9716A2B25665.jpeg
    E421CF9B-F9F3-460D-B204-9716A2B25665.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
  • 7267A996-A246-4A27-9195-0E19B15C7386.jpeg
    7267A996-A246-4A27-9195-0E19B15C7386.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 174

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!