Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

AFM?

tateintx

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5-V Blackwing
Sorry if a dumb question, but I have looked and can't find an answer anywhere. Does the CT5 BW have active fuel management??

Do you mean active cylinder management where 1/2 the cylinders stop ignition when not needed? If so, I'm not sure. The V3 did and if the BW does, I don't recall seeing the symbol showing on the dash during steady cruising. If it has it, it's the same as the V3 and you won't hear or feel the switch between 4 and 8 cylinders.

I had an indicator come up my 5BW a couple of months back when I took a road trip and was cruising at highway speed in Tour mode. I forget specifically what came up on DIC, but something indicating it was running on 4 cylinders. Have not seen it since as all subsequent driving has been local and or spirited.

I know the auto 5BW has AFM and I think the manual too, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

the LT4 engine in the camaro ZL1 and i think also the c& Z06 both had active fuel management, i am pretty sure, so i would bet this CT5 blackwing does too. i dont remember seeing it in the owners manual though.,.

the LT4 engine in the camaro ZL1 and i think also the c& Z06 both had active fuel management, i am pretty sure, so i would bet this CT5 blackwing does too. i dont remember seeing it in the owners manual though.,.

The LT4 in the ZL1 didn’t have AFM. Traded my 2017 V (which did have AFM for the ZL1). I was using an AFM disabler in the V hooked up to the OBD. I hated the AFM in the V. I had after market exhaust and you absolutely could here it switch with the aftermarket exhaust.

Really hoping the BW doesn’t not.

Does it have that stupid auto engine shut off thingy (at traffic lights for example)? I don't remember.

No auto engine shutoff crap. According to the order guide for the 5BW the LT4 does have AFM, but Mirza can probably confirm 100%.

I have an auto and I haven't seen anything that indicates it's got AFM. But then again, I keep my foot to the floor.

Yes, active fuel management is standard with the 6.2 regardless of tranny, per the order guide. It doesn't have automatic start stop. That's a blessing!

my CT5 manual trans car does not have auto stop/start disable button, so I assume that means no stop/start. I have not seen any evidence of Active fuel management so far with this car in 200 miles. i think a signal would light up in driver info center if it was engaging? sounds like the majority opinion is that there is AFM in there somewhere. if someone could tell me where to look in the engine code, i can use hptuners and see if i can see it. i plan to work on that this weekend.

The LT4 in the ZL1 didn’t have AFM. Traded my 2017 V (which did have AFM for the ZL1). I was using an AFM disabler in the V hooked up to the OBD. I hated the AFM in the V. I had after market exhaust and you absolutely could here it switch with the aftermarket exhaust.

Really hoping the BW doesn’t not.
Concur, my ZL1 1LE does not have AFM.

Went for a drive on local back road in Tour Mode. Letting off the gas and coasting for a few seconds (A10 in 6th gear), the V8 switches to V4. As car slows on its own and then downshifts to 5th gear), it turns back to V8. Due to cars in front and behind me, I couldn't let it try this in at other speeds and in other gears, but I got this to repeat consistently 4 times. Note that the V8 and V4 are only displayed in the Trip Computer as far as I could see.

Is this AFM or something else?

Attachments

• V4.jpg
    V4.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 139
  • V8.jpg
    V8.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 143
Went for a drive on local back road in Tour Mode. Letting off the gas and coasting for a few seconds (A10 in 6th gear), the V8 switches to V4. As car slows on its own and then downshifts to 5th gear), it turns back to V8. Due to cars in front and behind me, I couldn't let it try this in at other speeds and in other gears, but I got this to repeat consistently 4 times. Note that the V8 and V4 are only displayed in the Trip Computer as far as I could see.

Is this AFM or something else?
Interesting, I don’t even have a v8 badge on my manual… I tried getting it to show up… nothing

Yes, that is AFM. The manual doesn't show the V8 and V4 indicators ("If the vehicle has an Active Fuel Management indicator, see Driver Information Center (DIC) for more information on using this display." <- doesnt show anything in this section), but there is reference to AFM and you can see a bunch of other forums talk about V8<->V4 being the indicator lights for the AFM mode. Not sure if it is available/used for manual though...
I feel like if it wasnt there would be a bigger fuel economy difference on the highway. But maybe that accounts for the difference? If so it doesnt do much.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back