Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

A10 4 or 5BW Owners, how do ya really feel!

As far as performance I am very happy with the A10, however I do think 10 gears is a little much. So many up/downshifts. I think 8 is about the max.
On track I've been super impressed with the autoboxes on M cars and Hyundai's N cars, you really can let the car do the shifting and just drive, but ya 10 gears for sporty road driving I do wonder?

Is it going up and down constantly if you are on a run of 20mph to 80mph twisties and straights? I am guessing you can mitigate that with your driving modes some?

On track I've been super impressed with the autoboxes on M cars and Hyundai's N cars, you really can let the car do the shifting and just drive, but ya 10 gears for sporty road driving I do wonder?

Is it going up and down constantly if you are on a run of 20mph to 80mph twisties and straights? I am guessing you can mitigate that with your driving modes some?

It has too many gears to really enjoy paddle shifting but the shift programming when left in auto mode is excellent. The A10 shifts extremely quick and smooth. The gearing is tightly spaced and keeps you in boost.

The A10 and just about all new automatic transmissions are technically better (quicker, smoother, better fuel economy, etc.) than the M6 with the exception of driving engagement. For many enthusiasts the connection is too much to give up in a performance car.

Hyundai N cars are DCT so it's not really the same comparison. If it's a last gen M car it's also a DCT. I will give bmw props though they do impressive tuning on the ZF8 but I still wouldn't choose it over a manual or DCT if they gave me a choice.

At least it's not Lexus tuning. I hated the transmission tuning in the RC F for any remotely sporty driving

The Escalade V is so cool! I want one but can't afford it at the moment! I got to see and hear the pre production one at Daytona this year and it was

Oooh, I love a thinly veiled transmission choice thread where we rehash all the tired reasons we think our choice is the best...no actually I don't, but y'all carry on.
Again, both tranny's are fantastic in different ways (I personally said that already several different ways, several times im sure) for different people, just conversation no "hidden agenda"? I was impressed at how you can move the Esky V with the powertrain GM/CADDY came up with, not me. And I'm more impressed with how it works in my car. That's it, just conversation.

It has too many gears to really enjoy paddle shifting but the shift programming when left in auto mode is excellent. The A10 shifts extremely quick and smooth. The gearing is tightly spaced and keeps you in boost.

The A10 and just about all new automatic transmissions are technically better (quicker, smoother, better fuel economy, etc.) than the M6 with the exception of driving engagement. For many enthusiasts the connection is too much to give up in a performance car.
Driving engagement with the M6 stands alone, you are the "driver".... I'm glad to get a feel for the "temp" of the owners out there the have an A10 and share feedback and off course, enjoy the feedback of the M6 folks which have experience in one or both! It's all in the family!

Hyundai N cars are DCT so it's not really the same comparison. If it's a last gen M car it's also a DCT. I will give bmw props though they do impressive tuning on the ZF8 but I still wouldn't choose it over a manual or DCT if they gave me a choice.

At least it's not Lexus tuning. I hated the transmission tuning in the RC F for any remotely sporty driving
Fair point on the N and M2C - but the interaction is the same and to me DCTs are totally autoboxes, but we can leave that for bimmerpost :) It was the G80 and M5C as well, so the ZF8.

As far as performance I am very happy with the A10, however I do think 10 gears is a little much. So many up/downshifts. I think 8 is about the max.
I Agree? Haven't "really" tracked my car yet, you need a good stretch to get "value" out of the 8 thru 10. Did zip around with both at the Caddy experience several times however, not enough asphalt at those events to get the full effect of both. Work will come from the first 6 shifts for sure in the A10 when pressed hard. From a driveability standpoint daily, in "auto" it's just purrs along with no stress...Big thing here is traffic.....I guess, the Esky V in performance mode just left an impression on me.

Driving engagement with the M6 stands alone, you are the "driver".... I'm glad to get a feel for the "temp" of the owners out there the have an A10 and share feedback and off course, enjoy the feedback of the M6 folks which have experience in one or both! It's all in the family!
I have owned both in multiple GM vehicles. There really is no right or wrong, they are both great. It just depends on how you use the car and what you want the experience to be. I know some folks that bought a C8 with the DCT and now they are bored.

I own a Tesla that does most of the around town daily driving duty. It is great for that purpose. Quick, efficient, super easy to drive in traffic with regen braking, great tech features, etc. However, when I am in the mood to actually drive though I take the 4BW and row my own gears and listen to the exhaust note. There has been some pent up demand for a GM 6 speed sport sedan. According the Cadillac team the take rate on the Blackwing manuals trans was close to 40%, which was a surprise to the team as well. I am not surprised. The manual transmission and ICE based engines are going extinct so some of us want one to drive for the next decade.

I ran my 4BW a few times in track mode on some of our very smooth roads with all the nannies on. It seemed a little quicker and what surprised me was it never got higher than 7th gear even at around 60-65 mph. Haven't tried it with the 5 yet.

For me, it was the beginning of a whole new lifestyle. I started really caring about my appearance, got into showtunes, and became a vegetarian.

Explain Keegan-Michael Key GIF by Apple TV+

I'm not surprised more people elected to buy the A10 than the M6.

The Cadillac team initially only anticipated a 15% take rate on the manual. 40% was the surprise. The only other vehicle that I know of that has a take rate that high for a manual transmission is a Mazda Miata. If you look at the available 2022 4BWs there are very few manuals for sale. Some have reported 4BWs with autos are being discounted off of MSRP.

The A10 is great and it will still represent a larger percentage of overall sales but it is not near the 85% they expected. #savethemanuals :)

I ran my 4BW a few times in track mode on some of our very smooth roads with all the nannies on. It seemed a little quicker and what surprised me was it never got higher than 7th gear even at around 60-65 mph. Haven't tried it with the 5 yet.
Reckon the same roads in Tour and it gets there? To 10th I mean. Guessing track + giving it the beans = dynamic sport mode or whatever it's called, that gets you a more aggressive shift pattern?

Reckon the same roads in Tour and it gets there? To 10th I mean. Guessing track + giving it the beans = dynamic sport mode or whatever it's called, that gets you a more aggressive shift pattern?
When on track the A10 typically goes into performance shift mode so it will hold gears and keep the revs up based on the g-forces from acceleration, cornering and braking. On the highway when cruising it will shift into the higher gears and keep the revs very low.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back