Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW General Questions Thread

Does it sound like a geiger counter? I have to make a video of the sound my car makes.
Yeah, I guess I could call it that. It just sounds like... ticking, in tune with the engine when going lower speeds. At highway speeds, it either stops doing it or I can't hear it.

Tbh I can't really hear anything. Mine sounds like a fast ticking, which ticks faster with the engine speed, but then goes away temporarily when I put in the throttle and the revs fall.

Yeah, when I've shown people the vid they either can't hear it or are really annoyed by it (like me, Lol).. for what it's worth I can barely hear it if I watch on my laptop but then it's really apparent on my cell phone.

Sounds like something static-ish from the speaker. Kill the sound system and see if it persists. If I am hearing what you are (some little pops), something I can relate that sound to is when I have my Bose NC headpones on and no audio is playing (occasional light pops). Might be something to do with the ANC.

Sounds like something static-ish from the speaker. Kill the sound system and see if it persists. If I am hearing what you are (some little pops), something I can relate that sound to is when I have my Bose NC headpones on and no audio is playing (occasional light pops). Might be something to do with the ANC.

I'm not sure the best way to "kill" the sound system. My understanding is that ANC is active even when the system is muted (and maybe even off? Not sure).

I'm not sure the best way to "kill" the sound system. My understanding is that ANC is active even when the system is muted (and maybe even off? Not sure).
Was thinking fuse(s). Finding them might be tricky.

Was thinking fuse(s). Finding them might be tricky.

I've located the fuse for the amp, it's in the fuse box on the left side of the trunk. I guess I'll try that!

^Fuse fix didn't help. I mean, guys, am I going crazy? I took a few more videos today. It sounds like a fluorescent light under load I think - no? I'm hearing three layers of noise, one being normal engine exhaust noise, one being road noise, and one being a higher pitched buzzy sound. I just want someone to verify that it sounds odd before I start complaining to the dealer. Lol.

For those that have serviced the rear diff, are there gaskets/washers that need to be replaced on the drain and fill plugs?

higher pitched buzzy sound.

I hear a cricket-like bzzzt bzz bzzzt noise in those videos that is definitely not present in my 6MT.

The noise seemed to stop entirely when you had the clutch in, and then started right back up again. So I'd say there's something going on in there.

We have dual mass flywheels, which is a subject I know almost nothing about. But I've read some stuff about them making a variety of different noises. Maybe look at some videos related to that on teh YouTube and see whether you find anything similar?

The display defaults to touring mode when starting the car. Can I change this? Also, any way to keep rev match on?

The display defaults to touring mode when starting the car. Can I change this? Also, any way to keep rev match on?
1. Yes, check the settings in from dash menu via the steering wheel controls. You can set it to tour, sport, track or let it change with the drive mode.

2. Unfortunately not. Been this way for years on the corvette and Camaros with rev match. Annoying that they don’t make this a persistent setting.

I am thinking that you have it in V mode when driving... before you turn off ignition switch drive mode to Sport or My Mode (with My Mode settings adjusted how you want them).... and car should start back up in Sport or My Mode respectively. Otherwise any other drive mode (including Tour) will default to Tour upon start-up.*

* I have a 5, but believe it's the same deal with the driving modes

1. Yes, check the settings in from dash menu via the steering wheel controls. You can set it to tour, sport, track or let it change with the drive mode.

2. Unfortunately not. Been this way for years on the corvette and Camaros with rev match. Annoying that they don’t make this a persistent setting.
I may have misunderstood @emdough 's question. If so, then @raptor5244 nailed it.

I am thinking that you have it in V mode when driving... before you turn off ignition switch drive mode to Sport or My Mode (with My Mode settings adjusted how you want them).... and car should start back up in Sport or My Mode respectively. Otherwise any other drive mode (including Tour) will default to Tour upon start-up.*

* I have a 5, but believe it's the same deal with the driving modes
I typically do drive in V mode so this makes sense.

Correct, Tour, Sport and My Mode are saved through ignition cycles, meaning the car will start up in the mode you last had it set to. If you set it to V Mode, Track or I think it is called Snow mode, then it will start up in Tour Mode at the next ignition cycle.

This is separate from the ability to associate the dash layout display to the drive mode. For example, if you like Tour Mode, but prefer to look at the more exciting looking Sport or Track display you can set it to do so. If you look through the settings you will see that you can select the dash layout or take the defaults and let it change with the drive mode. Another example, is if you like Sport Mode, but prefer the Track Mode display.

Personally, I just set my preferences in MyMode and leave it. I set the exhaust to Track, Brake pedal pressure to sport/middle setting, suspension to Sport and steering to Sport/medium. So, for me, MyMode is basically the default Sport setup but with the exhaust wide open in Track setting. If I am just going for a highway cruise, I will put the suspension setting in Tour mode by modifying MyMode real quick since I don’t like muffled exhaust, light steering and mushy brake pedal of default Tour Mode.

Lastly, I have VMode reserved for those spirited driving moments. I set VMode suspension to Track, Steering is still Medium, Exhaust always wide open, braking I still keep in sport since I am on the street, and I have PTM set at Sport. The MyMode and VModes are nice improvements to this generation. The new C8 corvette gets the same thing, except they call it ZMode. The Camaro and C7 corvettes settings weren’t as flexible.

Last edited:
For those who routinely drive in Vmode, but don’t want to change settings just to have exhaust open for the next start, I have found that if you simultaneously press the V button while starting your car you’ll be good to go

For those who routinely drive in Vmode, but don’t want to change settings just to have exhaust open for the next start, I have found that if you simultaneously press the V button while starting your car you’ll be good to go
Doing that puts it in V-mode just before startup? Good find!

Did you find an Easter egg? What exactly does this do? You press V Mode while starting the car and it puts you in VMode right away or does it keep the exhaust wide open when it defaults back to Tour Mode?

I thought we all did that! Lol. V + Start is the only way I turn my car on.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back