Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4 Blackwing Gigs Throttle Body Install

DesertRJ

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 V Blackwing
Okay, so I had some time to get the throttle body installed on an otherwise stock Blackwing and figured this would be a good place to chronicle the results and one dumb issue in case anyone else runs across it in the future.

First bit to note for anyone installing, the quick connects for the vacuum lines take some serious pressure. If the connection doesn't slide off relatively easily, you haven't pressed hard enough. You won't break them with a good amount of pressure. Lesson learned for me! They're fairly straight forward now that I'm familiar with them. The Germans I've had don't have quite the same setup.

Other than that, the install is fairly straight forward. Torque specs would be great for putting everything back together. I just like the assurance I've done it just right.

I did manage to leave one sensor unplugged and set myself a p0326/5 when test driving around the block. That's fun. Cleared the codes minus the permanents which clear with a couple drive cycles. Seems to limit boost to around 6 lbs until it clears. Going to go do a drive cycle now to confirm but that would line up with what I've seen in the past on other cars. Anyone more familiar I'd love to have a chime in on that. I'd guess with that much of a boost leak we'd have set another code for that as well.

Even with the temporarily limited performance, throttle tip in is sharper through the range. We'll see about max power once we're fully up and running again. The extra throttle response is exactly what I was looking for in autocross.

So, more to come as I get more familiar with the new throttle body. Hopefully I save someone down the road some pain and panic. @WONT TAP I'm sure you guys will get a laugh out of my silly mistake. So many sensors and plugs!

Got the drive cycles done and no more codes! Still reporting 6 lbs of boost but it feels quick so I’m not sure what’s up with that. I’ll dig around and make sure I didn’t make any other mistakes. Car work and sleep dep aren’t the best combination. I should really remember that at this age.

Anyone have the torque specs handy for the intercooler lid and turbo inlets on the lid? I'd really assume there'd be some surge and not just wind to exactly six pounds and stop. Car is fully warmed up (15 minute+ drive) before doing pulls in 1st, 2nd, 3rd so it probably isn't the boost limit that I've heard about.

Thoughts are appreciated! Thanks all!

Last edited:
My guess is that you left a fairly well hidden vacuum line off. Check out the article at the bottom of this page for a one minute solution.

Close! It was the line on the passenger corner of the vacuum assembly that wasn’t seated right. It was making me crazy! You got me on the right track. Thank you!

The one hidden behind the one mentioned. Hallelujah!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
Close! It was the line on the passenger corner of the vacuum assembly that wasn’t seated right. It was making me crazy! You got me on the right track. Thank you!

The one hidden behind the one mentioned. Hallelujah!
That's the one that gets us all. Nice work!

Replacing my hot water heater this morning but I’ll have her out this afternoon to see what it’s like. I can already say the throttle tip in is a good bit sharper until the boost fell off. Feels a bit more similar to cars I’ve owned with ITB’s than previously. More direct throttle action? Which is weird to say on an e-gas type of car. My Boxster with an upgraded throttle body and e-gas had a very similar more direct feeling. For me at least, it translated to faster autocross times!

Quality water heater installed instead of the garbage whirlpool the house came with. Yay!

Anyway, got some time with the new throttle body in and everything plugged in right. While it isn’t perfectly scientific, I got to do some 60-90 pulls with my gps running. It is t the fastest gps but still polls fast enough to pick up noticeable changes. My initial impressions of faster turbo response and a little bump in power seems confirmed. Seemed to consistently record 1/10th quicker 60-90 than the oem throttle body. The worst was a match with eight pulls on record.

I think 15 horsepower with a noticeable improvement in turbo response time over 4K rpm seems about in line with what I’m feeling in a stock car.

Anyone looking for a non-warranty destroying bump to performance should really consider this as a great option.

little edit to add, I expected a bit of a low end drop off. Doesn’t seem to be the case. I really notice basically zero change cruising around at low rpm. I’d guess the decrease in turbulence makes up for any velocity lost from the larger diameter.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a not-so-cold day in the garage to install mine. Here are the service manual fastener specs for the Air Cooler Cover (and sequence), Throttle Body and Charge Air Cooler Inlet bolts.

1706677856983.png

1706677999923.png

1706678158638.png

1706678967616.png

I'm pleasantly surprised by the gains possible from the intake mods on this car. The airbox and TB seem like solid upgrades that likely won't get the dealership/warranty dept. unhappy while still delivering a really noticeable difference!

Looking at the difference between the two throttle bodies I am completely unsurprised by the gains. In all the Porsches I've owned in the past the throttle bodies were clearly polished. The stock one in our Blackwings (mine at least) the entrance was still clearly just cast. No cleanup whatsoever. Getting rid of the turbulence alone was probably worth five horsepower.

I'd be wary of the airbox as the dealership called me within a day of the CEL coming on asking to schedule service to rectify the problem (dealership I bought from, not my local dealer. They couldn't find snow in a Blizzard.) The codes are clearly not issues and the car operates within very safe tolerances with the airbox attached just we all know how much incompetent dealers like to pass the buck.

Following the thread.... I want this TB. Bang for the buck, was it worth it?

Following the thread.... I want this TB. Bang for the buck, was it worth it?
I think that depends a bit on your personal risk aversion. If you give no... ducks... about warranty, a tune will probably get you more bang for the buck. If you're aiming to tune the car with a bit more edge and power within the bounds of being unlikely to lose your warranty it's 100% worth it. I'd say for sure worth it if you're tuning as well. Just the tune will likely get you more appreciable gains as a first investment.

I have the JB4 and new colder plugs. It was a night/day difference. I want downpipes too. I thought the TB would complement these mods, but not sure how much.

I have the JB4 and new colder plugs. It was a night/day difference. I want downpipes too. I thought the TB would complement these mods, but not sure how much.

So you're on stock cats? I'm thinking of going jb4, hfc. 4k miles on my 4bw.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back