Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

288 Miles and an engine failure

Nadnerb

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5-V Blackwing
‘‘Twas a rough night last night. Cruising down the freeway at about 70 miles an hour and all of the sudden I hear metallic squeaking from the engine bay. Pretty sure the bearings went on it. 288 miles on the dash and my caddy dealership thinks it’ll probably need a new motor. Hoping it’s something simple and easy but I already know it isn’t.

Back to the goat rodeo. At least my car arrived!

2023 CT5-V Blackwing 6MT

Last edited:
Uh oh....not good! After one of the auto rags managed to destroy one now there's another?? I guess it's premature until there's a diagnosis but as an owner I'd be perturbed for sure. Please let us know what you learn as the cause.

Uh oh....not good! After one of the auto rags managed to destroy one now there's another?? I guess it's premature until there's a diagnosis but as an owner I'd be perturbed for sure. Please let us know what you learn as the cause.
Can do. I experienced a bit of that jerking/porpoising that was mentioned a little while back where someone was experiencing it and said it was some cam actuator valve that caused it but I think in my case this was more fatal to the motor

‘‘Twas a rough night last night. Cruising down the freeway at about 70 miles an hour and all of the sudden I hear metallic squeaking from the engine bay. Pretty sure the bearings went on it. 288 miles on the dash and my caddy dealership thinks it’ll probably need a new motor. Hoping it’s something simple and easy but I already know it isn’t.

2023 CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
View attachment 13461
Oh damn! Sorry to hear this. Oh plz do let us know what they find out.

Oof. It's hard because we don't have the data, but this isn't the first engine issue on this thread, not even counting the C&D issue, and this is not a high-volume car. Going into this purchase, I assumed that the engine would be the most reliable part (the LT4 being used in other applications and, well, it's a GM small block)!

A couple more failures and we might want to start our own database here. I'm pretty sure something like that is what got Porsche to own up to the IMS issues on their older watercooled engines.

Damn, sorry OP! That really sucks. Who built your motor?

Does it sound like it is in the motor or does it sound like it’s in the supercharger? I only ask because my supercharger went out and it had a similar-ish sound
Sounds like it’s coming from the left side of the engine bay. It may be the supercharger since it did feel a loss of power when it stuttered and oil pressure didn’t really change.

2023 CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
View attachment 13461
So sorry to hear this. Not knowing what it is can be the worst part. keep us posted. I hope it's just the supercharger. My car is at the dealership too but it's only for the Charge Air Cooler Coolant outlet pipe which broke at the seams.

So sorry to hear this. Not knowing what it is can be the worst part. keep us posted. I hope it's just the supercharger. My car is at the dealership too but it's only for the Charge Air Cooler Coolant outlet pipe which broke at the seams.
They going to pull the supercharger and see if it’s just that. Most of the techs think it is, only thing would be if it dropped metal into the rest of the block. If the bearing went out it’s possible it’s partially spinning the rotors and that’s why it’s making that awful noise.

Sorry to hear. Sounds more like the supercharger as mentioned since when you tapped the throttle it sounded ok, at least from what I can hear.

By the way, who's name is on the build tag on the motor? ;)

Supercharger bearing?
So sorry for the failure. I’d be really upset!

Crystal be like
You Are Already Dead Fist Of The North Star GIF

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop